Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place to get surface pro 4 and which mode?l?

• 30-04-2016 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking to get a new surface pro 4.

I've seen some small chinese phone shops in dublin selling surface pro 4 as new at €799 for Intel M version and €899 for i5 and both include the Microsoft typecover free.

Above are amazing prices as cheapest I've seen is Intel M version is still just over €1000. With a student duscount on microsoft website I can get it for 926 without typecover and €1065.55.

I actually looked at one inight this shop today and only thing that made me extra weary was there was a hair under the screen protector which I'd imagine would never have left the factory and evidence it had at least been removed before.

I asked are they refurbished and she said no they are new a box outside of the sleeve had sticker that she had to peel off part way to open it.

They offer 6 month warranty and see 1 year warranty still exists from Microsoft. One one hand seems to good to be true without a catch but on the other as it a physical shop, I feel I'm protected as much as buying from other retailers store.

Also I only need it for taking notes in college, watching movies and Internet. I use my current laptop quite a lot. Several hours of use at a time so I'd imagine it would heat up over time and thinking maybe I should pay through extra €100 for the i5 version.

Can anyone advise which might suit me better? Are both Intel M and i5 version likely to have same lifespan as each other?

I'd hope to get few years of use at least out if it without issues.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think you should think twice about buying a dogey surface from one of these shops. There has to be a catch, a small shop like you describe cannot get such machines for such a cheap price. It just doesn't add up.

I would save for the i5 version, I'm not convinced the core M is right for the task. It's the first gen M processor, and I've heard it can be a big bottle neck in the Macbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I think you should think twice about buying a dogey surface from one of these shops. There has to be a catch, a small shop like you describe cannot get such machines for such a cheap price. It just doesn't add up.

I would save for the i5 version, I'm not convinced the core M is right for the task. It's the first gen M processor, and I've heard it can be a big bottle neck in the Macbook.

Thanks but ive since made the purchase in the small shop and got the surface pro 4 core i5 version for €899 with typecover.

I cant explain the huge difference in price but I can confirm that it is in brand new as claimed.

What i thought was a hair beneath the screen protector from the packaging was actually only a slight scratch on the screen protector on top of it. There is not a mark or scratch anywhere on it. i watched and inspected it as she peeled it off to make sure.

It is a uk 3 pin plug and has everything including serial numbers where they should be. I registered with microsoft online already and confirmed on their website it has a year warranty. I even got an email from microsoft today congratulating me on purchasing a surface pro 4.

The typecover was also sealed fully and brand new. I even had a choice of colour.

Like i said i have no idea in how they can charge the guts of €400 less than any other retail store but im quite happy with the purchase.

I can only assume that they are able to get them cheaper in China perhaps than here but like i mentioned its a uk model so not sure if thats a credible theory.

I assume its against the rules to post the name of the shop so ill avoid doing so. The shop is listed on adverts.ie so im sure most will find it easily enough.

From reading through comments on adverts.ie there seem to be a few others that bought from same shop and i didnt see any negative comments regarding this particular item.

Advertisement