Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When does the fuchsia flower?

Options
  • 30-04-2016 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,706 ✭✭✭

Hi. When does the fuchsia flower in Ireland? Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

June to September.

Sometimes earlier, sometimes longer. It's the frost that damages mine, towards October...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kkel

Mine still looks like it did all winter so can I presume it's not coming back?

Mine looks poorly too. As per usual for the last five years or so. I'm optimistic it'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Robin Macson

[font=Oxygen, sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica]If you water and care for your fuchsia flower the way you are supposed to, you will find that fuchsia will grow abundantly pretty much all summer long.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,706 ✭✭✭Worztron

kkel wrote: »

Maybe try deadheading them.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

I never deadhead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Mine seems to be thriving. It is the common variety and I tend to cut it hard back after the flowering has finished, typically late November. Nice to have because it is such a late flowerer and gives a splash of colour when everything else has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

kkel wrote: »

Do you know which variety it is, not all Fuchsias will survive the winter outdoors? Scrape off a small piece of bark with your fingernail, close to the base of the stem, if underneath is green the plant is alive, if brown it is dead.

Advertisement