Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ND filter question

• 30-04-2016 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭

ND filters for slow shutter daylight photography.

Folks, i bought a filter from adverts, ND2-ND400, yeah...that was a waste of money. :pac:

I am now looking for the correct setup.

I have seen the screw in types and ones where there is a mounting system for square filters, i assume these would be useful when you have different diameter openings ?

Can anyone recommend a set for me ?

Also, are extension tubes a good alternative to a dedicated macro lens starting out or are they another gimmick ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

As with lenses, it's always worth getting good quality ND filters (any filter in fact).
    There are two primary choices, Screw in or or system (slot in). If you have one or two lenses then screw in filters at a good option. Hoya and B+W make very good versions in different strengths. Variable ND's are always a bit of a compromise, and don't work well with many very wide lenses.
    One of the many advantages of slot-in filters it that they can be readily fitted to any lens with a simple adaptor. The big names in System filters are Cokin, Lee and HiTech.
    Cokin have a poor reputation, but have some new higher quality options available now. HiTech are very good, but not widely available here. Lee have been the go-to brand for landscape Photographers for many years and have a superb range, are not cheap, but most serious landscape Photographers consider them as essential to their kit as their lens or tripod.
    On the macro front, Extension tubes are tried and trusted and give superb results - just make sure you buy a reputable make with full auto connections for metering and auto focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

Thanks for the helpful advice ValueInIreland.

I got myself a couple of Hoya screw in types, a 3 stop and a 6 stop.

I liked the look of the Cokin system, but @60/filter its a bit much at the moment.

I will look into those extension tubes later.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

I recently moved from LEE to Nisi....they sell out of Limerick. Have a look at my flickr and see the recent uploads...took using Nisi Hard grads and 6 stopper.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/celtboy1888/29086678275/in/photostream/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

oleras wrote: »
    Thanks for the helpful advice ValueInIreland.

I got myself a couple of Hoya screw in types, a 3 stop and a 6 stop.

I liked the look of the Cokin system, but @60/filter its a bit much at the moment.

I will look into those extension tubes later.

Thanks again.

Just browsing boards when I saw this post.

I got a set of HiTech filters and found they are decent enough. They often run promotions so there is good value from time to time.

I got this kit and am happy with the results.
    http://www.formatt-hitech.com/kits/nd-nd-grad-combo-kit

I also got a blender filter which I use all the time. It is like an ND soft filter whit the transition from the top to the bottom.

If you have Cokin filter holder the HiTech filters fit their 100mm holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Nebaw

Has anyone these Cokin P series filters? Any feedback on them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement