Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any famous towers built during the crusades that was destroyed in the late middle age

Options
  • 30-04-2016 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Am wondering if any famous castles,temples or towers were built in the period between 1000 AD and 1300Ad in the middle east particularyly of christian origin that were later taken down or destroyed during the period between 1300 and 1500 or during the hundred years wars and then rebuilt during the late middle ages shortly after

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Can you give a bit more motivation of why this is of interest? I found a few that fit that bill, but they wouldn't be famous.. are you interested in seeing the change of architecture with islamic influences or something?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand, the main example I can think of is Saint Sophia's ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagia_Sophia ) which underwent a change from church to mosque in that period. Unsure though if that is exactly the OP's meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

Yes kinda see I want to do an analysis of Friederich Nietzches eternal return and so I want to make an analysis between the struggles between islam and christianity can countries that are predominantly of those religions and make comparisons between the current warring between islamic fundamentalism and christian/westrern communities and thus want to find a famous-ish building that was built in the high middle ages and then destroyed in the later middle ages and then rebuilt later on like during the the coming centuries like the wrold trade centre that was destroyed by islamic fundamentalists and then rebuilt as the one world trade centre

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for since it's not really 'western' but one thing I was reading about recently was the Kremlin of Kazan . It was originally a fortress of the islamic Volga Bulgars/Kazans in the X-XV centuries, it was then conquered by Ivan the Terrible in 1552 and parts of the fortress such as the huge mosque were destroyed and others were upgraded with russian fortifications over the next few hundred years, but the mosque itself was finally rebuilt in 2005.

Advertisement