Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016/2017 Jobs

Options
  • 30-04-2016 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

FYI the ETBs are starting to advertise for 16/17

Cavan Monaghan have loads up on etbjobs.ie

Kildare Wicklow and Dublin Dunlaoighre are up on etbvacancies.ie. The DDLETB ad seems to be a single catch-all one while KW is on a school by school basis. Painful enough looking at it. Individual applications I would think. Looks like they're only starting also as only language jobs up.

AFAIK all of the ETBs are moving to competency based interviews this year for all teachers. Most moved that way for principal and DP over the past couple of years.

Just a heads up for those on the lookout. Not interested in the usual 'you have to know someone ' routine.

Also, I don't know why they don't use the same website. Yes it is ridiculous. Thats the way it is.

Hopefully this post is useful to someone.

MNP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Teacher competency guidelines attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its strange alright they don't use the same website but its still better than each sec school going seperate.

Competency based has been in some VECs for ages, but thankfully is everywhere now. Who you know will finally be gone, just wish it was gone from sec level too. It is very bad at primary level.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭xtralong

Cavan and Monaghan ETB don't even bother to say what school or how many hours the position is for. You could be applying for 4 hours work 80km away. What a potential waste of time and resources for both the applicant and the shortlisting panel. Also how does a competency based interview get rid of the 'who you know' problem? The scoring in interviews can be completely subjective. I got interview feedback recently from an ETB with just random scores and no comments to say how they arrived at those scores despite it clearly saying above the comment section 'do not leave blank'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Cmetb never mention the type of position it is either , maternity/job share etc. Its not as many as advertised last year either. It may even be someone in those positions but they have to re advertise until they get their CID. I always say apply anyway , you never know, you might get lucky.

As for the competency based interview , you could answer perfectly but not all members of your interview panel may be competent enough themselves to understand what you are talking about. Nothing to get excited about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's the thing with ETBs, you are employed by the scheme, not the school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

The absence of a single recruitment website still sums up the inefficiency of the ETB sector. A tiny thing which symbolises the tribal fiefdoms that have always marked the VEC sector. That you don't know what school you could be working in is also negative because there are particular principals whose reputations precede them and it would be nice to know what adverts not to waste time applying for.

Off topic but I see Educationposts is still not allowing us search by our subject, or across the entire state. "Please select a county!" - how much time do these geniuses think Irish teachers have to waste on these Mickey Mouse websites? Oh, I forgot, they've no competition so they can do as they please when it comes to wasting our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

spurious wrote: »
    That's the thing with ETBs, you are employed by the scheme, not the school.

That might be so, but it's a waste of everyone's times to have these general advertisements. You end up with teachers with part time CID being called for interview for part time maternity leaves or sick leaves, when they would only be interested in full hours in a developing school. They need to at at least allow you to make clear the type of contracts in which you are interested to stop wasting both applicants' and recruiters' time.

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Off topic but I see Educationposts is still not allowing us search by our subject, or across the entire state. "Please select a county!" - how much time do these geniuses think Irish teachers have to waste on these Mickey Mouse websites? Oh, I forgot, they've no competition so they can do as they please when it comes to wasting our time.

The website is owned by IPPN and it's clear there is little understanding of, and little interest in trying to understand, second level systems. The fact there may be only 5/6 jobs with your subject combination in the whole country seems lost on them - as if most NQTs could afford to restrict themselves by county!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

xtralong wrote: »
    Cavan and Monaghan ETB don't even bother to say what school or how many hours the position is for. You could be applying for 4 hours work 80km away. What a potential waste of time and resources for both the applicant and the shortlisting panel. Also how does a competency based interview get rid of the 'who you know' problem? The scoring in interviews can be completely subjective. I got interview feedback recently from an ETB with just random scores and no comments to say how they arrived at those scores despite it clearly saying above the comment section 'do not leave blank'.

I feel your frustration. Last year I went for 2 interviews with the same ETB although the interview panel was different. I applied for my interview scores afterwards and just got back a table with a few numbers in it. I explained the scores on their own were useless without a comparison with the successful candidate's scores or some general feedback but was not afforded either. In addition to my shock, I cold not understand how one interview panel could score me 3 out of 10 for experience and another 6 out of ten.

When all the whining is done we could actually make this a useful thread by adding to the list of sites where ads are carried.

I'll edit the first post with them or maybe a mod will do it.

Make the best out of a bad situation and all that?

Jane98 wrote: »
    I feel your frustration. Last year I went for 2 interviews with the same ETB although the interview panel was different. I applied for my interview scores afterwards and just got back a table with a few numbers in it. I explained the scores on their own were useless without a comparison with the successful candidate's scores or some general feedback but was not afforded either. In addition to my shock, I cold not understand how one interview panel could score me 3 out of 10 for experience and another 6 out of ten.

Well, I think the scores are done relative to the top performer - so they receive the max score and everyone else is graded downwards accordingly. Your score in any interview therefore depends on the calibre of interviewees at that particular interview. There must have been more experienced candidates at one of your interviews than at the other.

• Advertisement

Jane98 wrote: »

You have no right to know the score of the successful candidate.

Also, depending on what the school needs, some of your experience may be less valuable than other parts.

You could simply have done a better interview to get the 6. Length of service and experience are not the same thing.

When all the whining is done we could actually make this a useful thread by adding to the list of sites where ads are carried.

I'll edit the first post with them or maybe a mod will do it.

Make the best out of a bad situation and all that?

Quite a condescending comment. These are real issues facing jobseekers, being aware of the realities is 'useful', especially for those with not much experience of applying/interviewing etc. Finding the job advert isn't really the hard part.
    While I don't feel you should know other candidates scores, getting a feedback sheet from an ETB with no justification of how your score was reached is unacceptable. The interview panel get decent expenses after all, the least they could do is write some comments on the sheet.

xtralong wrote: »
    Quite a condescending comment. These are real issues facing jobseekers, being aware of the realities is 'useful', especially for those with not much experience of applying/interviewing etc. Finding the job advert isn't really the hard part.
    While I don't feel you should know other candidates scores, getting a feedback sheet from an ETB with no justification of how your score was reached is unacceptable. The interview panel get decent expenses after all, the least they could do is write some comments on the sheet.

What kind of feedback would one expect, exactly?

Reasons why your score was not higher! Suggestions on how to improve that score. That's the norm in feedback in other sectors.

This is exactly why the competency based system will make no difference. Around here the majority of applicants are hired locally first for subbing, then interviewed in late October. They hire who they want - past pupils, relatives, friends etc. Then it's no problem to just give more marks for experience in the actual school itself. And you don't even have to be transparent about it. Sure, they have the experience in the relevant school - but only those known to the school can get a foot in the door in the first place.

Reasons why your score was not higher! Suggestions on how to improve that score. That's the norm in feedback in other sectors.

This is exactly why the competency based system will make no difference. Around here the majority of applicants are hired locally first for subbing, then interviewed in late October. They hire who they want - past pupils, relatives, friends etc. Then it's no problem to just give more marks for experience in the actual school itself. And you don't even have to be transparent about it. Sure, they have the experience in the relevant school - but only those known to the school can get a foot in the door in the first place.

So you want the answers you should have given?

Comments that show that the panel have listened to and considered your answers. What they considered relevant and which questions were well answered, maybe which questions they thought were not so well answered.
    It can be hard enough getting a job and it's competitive out there, we all need some encouragement at times. A few pointers could make all the difference the next time.
    If you were grading a student's essay would you just give them a score with no indication of where marks were lost or suggestions for improvement?
    Where's the learning in that!

So you want the answers you should have given?

No. But if experience is marked low then it could say that more experience teaching leaving cert higher level required, or experience teaching LCAs not relevant to position, for example. Or if professional development is marked low then it could say that more subject specific CPD required. Or it could say that the candidate failed to adequately demonstrate their ability to differentiate or implement active learning methodologies through use of relevant examples of practice. Honestly, this is routine in other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

AFAIK all of the ETBs are moving to competency based interviews this year for all teachers. Most moved that way for principal and DP over the past couple of years.

If thats the case they would want to revisit as they (ETBs) have made an unholy mess of this if some of the recruitment in the past few years is anything to go by!

ethical wrote: »

If thats the case they would want to revisit as they (ETBs) have made an unholy mess of this if some of the recruitment in the past few years is anything to go by!

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

There were a few 'chaotic choices' made around the country.The candidates may have ticked the boxes (ETBs love this) but had damn all practical, on the ground experience!

• Advertisement

ethical wrote: »
    There were a few 'chaotic choices' made around the country.The candidates may have ticked the boxes (ETBs love this) but had damn all practical, on the ground experience!

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 oneright

when do the etbs call interviews?

oneright wrote: »
    when do the etbs call interviews?

I was called for one ETB during the exams last year. Then some in both July and August for another ETB.

Advertisement