Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keys won't unlock property purchased

Options
  • 01-05-2016 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Bought a property recently, collected the keys from ea but none of the keys managed to unlock the front door (terraced property so no access to back door). Has anybody else had this experience??
    Is remedying the situation the responsibility of the estate agent or can they wash their hands of it now the sale is complete and the keys have been handed over?? Would a locksmith gain access and change locks if the EA gave assurances I was the new owner??
    Also is it recommended to change the locks of a property once you buy it as there may be other copies of the keys by the previous owner?? How much would this cost per door ballpark figure??
    Apologies for all the questions and appreciate any advice given.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'd imagine the Estate Agents would have responsibility here. Surely they have the correct keys if they held viewings?

We changed the locks when we moved in. I just bought a lock in B&Q and changed it myself. Easy enough job. Just need to get access first though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Layne wrote: »
    Bought a property recently, collected the keys from ea but none of the keys managed to unlock the front door (terraced property so no access to back door). Has anybody else had this experience??
    Is remedying the situation the responsibility of the estate agent or can they wash their hands of it now the sale is complete and the keys have been handed over?? Would a locksmith gain access and change locks if the EA gave assurances I was the new owner??
    Also is it recommended to change the locks of a property once you buy it as there may be other copies of the keys by the previous owner?? How much would this cost per door ballpark figure??
    Apologies for all the questions and appreciate any advice given.

Check with agent first, could have given you the wrong set by accident. Once you get in change back door and front door first. Others are fine. About 40€ per external door depending on where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Changing barrel is easy out if its normal type door lock. Just watch vid on youtube. Its only 1 screw in frame of door and barrel pops out, local diy shop will have replacements. But EA problem to get you into house and as such take no crap in getting them to do it ASAP. PS lock is only 10-15 depending on barrel length-even my diy phobic husband did it as did i

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

10 quid cylinders are junk that can be snapped or bumped in seconds - however I've seen decent ones as cheap as 25 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Call estate agent.

Once in change locks front and back - you don't know what copies are out there.

Inexpensive in the overall scheme of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

L1011 wrote: »
    10 quid cylinders are junk that can be snapped or bumped in seconds - however I've seen decent ones as cheap as 25 now

Which are the decent ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

McGaggs wrote: »
    Which are the decent ones?

Union, Yale and if a Euro cylinder go for Abs type locks as they are bump and drill proof

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Defo agree it's worthwhile putting in security locks and chucking out those awful standard Euro-cylinder locks. It's all about adding to the deterrent/effort to get in...nothing is 100% perfect.

Cisa Astral S are around €45 each and Avocet ABS are around €60 last time I bought some.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

And i'd have no problem ringing the estate agent on a bank holiday weekend ( mobile number) and expecting them to deliver the keys to you... they mightnt like it but if its their cock up..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement