Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passat DSG 190 BHP

• 01-05-2016 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

In the market for one of these lads. Have a budget that this fits with. Driving around 60k motorway miles per year. Any issues/better suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 190bhp engine uses AdBlue which is a diesel exhaust fluid to reduce emissions. It is located in a separate tank that needs refilling regularly, it's pricey enough stuff so could end up being quite expensive at your annual mileage. Been used in trucks for some time but now seems to be finding it's way into passenger vehicles in order to meet stricter emission controls. Something to consider when taking running costs into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    it's pricey enough stuff so could end up being quite expensive at your annual mileage.

Expensive?! The car needs ~1l/1000km. So regardless how much we are overcharged for it here (in Germany it costs under €1/l), it is a negligible cost.

If your dealer is too greedy - get yourself a shoot yourself: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cartec-9923-AdBlue-Exhaust-Aftertreatment/dp/B00SWLLS6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462090422&sr=8-1&keywords=adblue

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wollwead

grogi wrote: »
    Expensive?! The car needs ~1l/1000km. So regardless how much we are overcharged for it here (in Germany it costs under €1/l), it is a negligible cost.

If your dealer is too greedy - get yourself a shoot yourself: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cartec-9923-AdBlue-Exhaust-Aftertreatment/dp/B00SWLLS6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462090422&sr=8-1&keywords=adblue

Cost not an issue, company car thankfully! Could get a BMW 320d with similar power. Would that be a better option?

Wollwead wrote: »
    Cost not an issue, company car thankfully! Could get a BMW 320d with similar power. Would that be a better option?

I would consider a C-Klasse C220d. Or a BMW 420d GC, I absolutely love the lines of it (it is more expensive that basic 320d, but comes better equipped IIRC).

I would consider a C-Klasse C220d. Or a BMW 420d GC, I absolutely love the lines of it (it is more expensive that basic 320d, but comes better equipped IIRC).

Sorry what I meant was running cost not an issue. I have a spend limit of 45k. What you think grogi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Might get a 4x4 Superb in that price range. If that set up on the A4 is anything to go by, it struggles to get power down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Sorry what I meant was running cost not an issue. I have a spend limit of 45k. What you think grogi?

Lexus IS300h?

Thanks for the comments lads. Looking at the following options: Octavia VRS Combi 4x4 diesel, Superb 4x4 diesel 190BHP saloon, or the equivalent Passat saloon. What do you guys reckon? Which has best performance on resale value as this will be a factor in the rates the company will pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I read elsewhere that VW are discontinuing the 190bhp Passat here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

The Octavia won't be as comfy as either if that's a factor, less space and not as well finished. I'd probably go with the 4x4 Superb tbh.

JoeA3 wrote: »

190BHP/150BHP obviously more power is desirable but not a deal breaker.

There's a big mark up for a 190 Passat over a 150 relative to a superb which wasn't going to help it's cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I'd have the superb, I just cannot warm to the Passat for some reason unless an Estate with the R line exterior.

Truckermal wrote: »
    I'd have the superb, I just cannot warm to the Passat for some reason unless an Estate with the R line exterior.

Yes I agree if I can work it at all the new Superb are lovely. Gotta get a test drive in one tho. None of the garages ever have 190 BHP versions available though, certainly in VW anyway. Would the 190 cause problems with a front wheel drive car in terms of keeping grip in wet weather? Had poor experience with the 05 2.0 diesel Passat and ice before and that was only 140 BHP in front wheel drive!

Any diesel putting that sort of power through the front wheels is going to have issues, some are worse than others but if you are able to swing a 4x4 I'd go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Superb 190 4X4 would be a lovely car.

Saw a beautiful black 161 2.0TDI Passat which I assume is the 190 as it had the odd shaped exhausts at either side of the car similar to the Octavia VRS. Classy looking car it has to be said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Truckermal wrote: »

The styling of the estate Passat is so so so much nicer than the saloon. I'd like one in red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Any diesel putting that sort of power through the front wheels is going to have issues, some are worse than others but if you are able to swing a 4x4 I'd go for it.

That sort of power?!? It's 140bhp in FWD. That's just barely above your bog standard run about. A decent set of winter tyres would be a better solution.

• Advertisement

That sort of power?!? It's 140bhp in FWD. That's just barely above your bog standard run about. A decent set of winter tyres would be a better solution.

(I think) he was referring to the 190bhp FWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

Would have to agree. Driving a 2012 A6 3.0 TDI Auto around 220BHP and the front wheel drive without the quattro is a disadvantage. On a rainy day like today the take off is terrible and it bounces around the place before it can go in a straight line.

I still cant figure out if your a sporty man or a comfort/big executive car man?

Would have to agree. Driving a 2012 A6 3.0 TDI Auto around 220BHP and the front wheel drive without the quattro is a disadvantage. On a rainy day like today the take off is terrible and it bounces around the place before it can go in a straight line.

I still cant figure out if your a sporty man or a comfort/big executive car man?

Practicality, enough power and why not 190 BHP as there will be plenty of mileage. 2 young kids with a booster and baby seat so there will be buggy loaded into the boot.

Both the Passat and Superb really look good tho. I'd take either and be delighted

Have you driven the Superb?

Have you driven the Superb?

Nope but Jesus I've previously driven vans, Peugeots, and most recently a focus so if and when I test drive a superb I'm sure it'll be up to my less than sky high standards!

I'm on about the 190.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If allowed I'd be getting the new Nissan Navara crew cab 4x4 190hp twin turbo auto.

Nope but Jesus I've previously driven vans, Peugeots, and most recently a focus so if and when I test drive a superb I'm sure it'll be up to my less than sky high standards!

Sounds like you worked your way up the company congratulations! We all start on the Berlingo I suppose haha.

If I was you I would just go around relaxed as ever and drive anything your interested in. By the sounds of it your well set up either way you go be it passatt or Skoda. I was going to get the passatt like yourself but ordered a golf GTD as I don't have kids yet and wanted a bit of fun but even from my point of view the passatt was hot as ever and look the part with the R design. I would have also happily slept in it, comfort and build quality was second to none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

If you're doing that kind of mileage I'd say definitely get the 187 bhp model not the 148 bhp - especially if the company are paying for it then you don't need to worry about the cost of AdBlue or anything else.

I'd say the Passat or else the Superb is the best bet - I wouldn't be going for a BMW until such time as I'm happy that the new B47 diesel engine doesn't suffer the same timing chain problems its predecessor suffers from (especially as the timing chain is still at the back of the engine - and the related B38, B48 and B58 petrol engines also have switched the timing chain to the back for good measure). Thus far, there haven't been any negative reports (that I am aware of) with the new engine, but the oldest models are still less than two years old, and even the disastrous N47 engine didn't suffer that early on in its lifespan. I'd also be going for the 4WD option if it's within budget, might as well with that kind of driving.

If you're doing that kind of mileage I'd say definitely get the 187 bhp model not the 148 bhp - especially if the company are paying for it then you don't need to worry about the cost of AdBlue or anything else.

Cost of AdBlue is negligible. If the dealer is charging for it more than for diesel, order 10l can and a spout from azon... €20 delivered...

I haven't driven a manual 190ps Passat/Superb, but I've driven a couple of DSG/S-Tronic Passat & A4's and they really do struggle to get the power down - not looking forward to the 3.0Tdi 218ps FWD S-Tronic A4 that's on the way....

Better off going for the 150ps DSG and spending the extra budget on a few nice bits and pieces for comfort.

Only Audi would get away with offering a 3.0 v6 TDi with front wheel drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Only Audi would get away with offering a 3.0 v6 TDi with front wheel drive.

Era, as long it's an Audi S LINE it'll be the most desirable thing ever.. Regardless of how it handles, driving position, what performance it has or reliability etc. That's the power of advertising.

We've the previous gen Superb Combi with 170bhp and DSG. It's a great car in a lot of ways but far from a rocket and I find the power delivery a bit slow at times. The value really is gone with the new model though.

At the time I rembwer Quattro was a few grand as an extra and the performance wasn't that bad. Test drove an A7 3.0 Quattro and it just stuck to the ground. The golf GTi and GTD are the only two front weel drive cars I have driven personally that make great use of front weel drive only. But the differential is unbelievable in them for handling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

- I wouldn't be going for a BMW until such time as I'm happy that the new B47 diesel engine doesn't suffer the same timing chain problems its predecessor suffers from (especially as the timing chain is still at the back of the engine - and the related B38, B48 and B58 petrol engines also have switched the timing chain to the back for good measure). Thus far, there haven't been any negative reports (that I am aware of) with the new engine, but the oldest models are still less than two years old, and even the disastrous N47 engine didn't suffer that early on in its lifespan. I'd also be going for the 4WD option if it's within budget, might as well with that kind of driving.[/QUOTE]

If it's a company car that's irrelevant tbh. If it breaks they will fix it, best part of company car ownership.

If it was for driver enjoyment I'd have the BMW 320D. I had a good spin in one with the newer B47 engine in and an automatic and it was a great drive, leagues ahead of the 520 for driver enjoyment in my opinion.

If it's a large family car then the Superb is hard to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Pkiernan wrote: »
    If allowed I'd be getting the new Nissan Navara crew cab 4x4 190hp twin turbo auto.

while a nice vehicle, 60k miles a year on rear leaf springs and a solid axle would not be in any way shape or form fun. pickups are a lot comfier now, but not saloon comfy.

Audi A6 Ultra 2.0 TDI anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Is that Audi 150 or 190 bhp?
    Very comfy and more upmarket than Passat. Essentially same drivetrain in more upmarket clothes.
    Due to be replaced in a year or so but if company car so what.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Is that Audi 150 or 190 bhp?
    Very comfy and more upmarket than Passat. Essentially same drivetrain in more upmarket clothes.
    Due to be replaced in a year or so but if company car so what.

Not sure but probably 150 I'd say. They a bit lighter than Passat?

• Advertisement

A6 uses the MLB platform whereas the Passat uses the MQB. A6 is a fair bit heavier than the current Passat.

A6 uses the MLB platform whereas the Passat uses the MQB. A6 is a fair bit heavier than the current Passat.

You'd imagine it's the 190 in the A6 Ultra. Think it's a generous enough spec and with the weight it might need the extra power.

I think the Ultra engines are tuned for lower emissions and fuel consumption similar to VW's Bluemotion technology and are available in both 150bhp and 190bhp in the A6.

I think the Ultra engines are tuned for lower emissions and fuel consumption similar to VW's Bluemotion technology and are available in both 150bhp and 190bhp in the A6.

https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/audiupdate/web/may-2014/03-ultra.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Thats a bit misleading, they can definitely be got with the 150bhp engine

millington wrote: »
    Thats a bit misleading, they can definitely be got with the 150bhp engine

That's a 2 year old, Audi UK product update.

Ireland never got the 163ps Ultra Engine. There was the 136ps Ultra engine in the old model A6 at the end of it's life, and that engine was also a very poor seller in the A4 before the new model. Still available in the A5.

New A4 & current A6 have 150ps & 190ps "Ultra" engines.

JoeA3 wrote: »

You're correct in what you read there. Shame really as I'd love the 190. Currently driving a 150 Passat temporarily whilst not slow, I'd relish a bit more fire power!

Advertisement