Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 - 7

Options
  • 01-05-2016 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Hi I just upgraded my laptop to windows 10 but I don't think I like it, I'm wondering is there a way to downgrade to windows 7??

I bought this laptop as a windows 8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Hi I just upgraded my laptop to windows 10 but I don't think I like it, I'm wondering is there a way to downgrade to windows 7??

I bought this laptop as a windows 8

You can rollback to your original OS i.e. 8, but not to a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

If I had to choose between 10 and 8, I'd choose 10 every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

mordeith wrote: »
    You can rollback to your original OS i.e. 8, but not to a different one.

There's no possible way ?

3rdDegree wrote: »
    If I had to choose between 10 and 8, I'd choose 10 every time.

It wouldn't let me put music on my phone tho that's basically all I use the laptop for

Unless you had Windows 8 Pro, you don't have a licence for Windows 7 so you could only go back to 8.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Unless you had Windows 8 Pro, you don't have a licence for Windows 7 so you could only go back to 8.

I'm not sure which one I have. Can windows 7 be bought purchased ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It wouldn't let me put music on my phone tho that's basically all I use the laptop for

That should be an easy fix. What exactly is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭The Reader

I had Windows 7 on my laptop and last Friday while browsing a bizarre thing toook place I found my laptop going into Windows 10 upgrade without been prompted. I know it was been continually promoted to avail of free upgrade to Windows 10. I now find myself having to upgrade the Antivirus system to configure with same. I have already Windows 10 on my desktop and I think it is innovative and happy with same. I cant imagine rottie 11 why it wont allow you put music on you phone.

It's ok i just uninstalled windows 10 and reset the Laptop and I'm happy out with windows 8 again for now

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

It's ok i just uninstalled windows 10 and reset the Laptop and I'm happy out with windows 8 again for now

Install gwx control panel or windows will upgrade to windows 10 eventually through an update

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Theres virtually no difference:confused:

10 is only free until July, so if you want to upgrade again, do it before then.

Cant understand why anyone wouldn't want to upgrade for free. Especially with windows support and future software compatibility taken into account.
    The OP has the digital entitlement now so it shouldn't be a problem for them to reinstall 10 at a later date.

Hi folks
    Could anyone enlighten me what is the best way to get around my present difficulty in the aftermath of updating to Windows 10 I have apparently compromised my previous antivirus system on laptop. What are the options without having to invest further with an antivirus, what about Avast Free Antivirus. Thanks for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The Reader wrote: »
    Hi folks
    Could anyone enlighten me what is the best way to get around my present difficulty in the aftermath of updating to Windows 10 I have apparently compromised my previous antivirus system on laptop. What are the options without having to invest further with an antivirus, what about Avast Free Antivirus. Thanks for attention.

If you're not happy with built-in Windows Defender, you can always pick on from this list:

http://uk.pcmag.com/antivirus-reviews/142/guide/the-best-free-antivirus-utilities-for-2016 or this one
    https://www.techsupportall.com/top-5-best-free-antivirus-software-to-download-for-2016-compatible-with-windows-10/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

Theres virtually no difference:confused:

10 is only free until July, so if you want to upgrade again, do it before then.

Cant understand why anyone wouldn't want to upgrade for free. Especially with windows support and future software compatibility taken into account.

Theres virtually no differenceconfused.png

There is a massive difference between windows 10 and Windows 8. Windows 10 is fugly. Its like they couldn't decide/agree on a user interface, so now there are three different interfaces in one OS. At least with Windows 8 the main eyesore was the crappy metro, which was avoidable with "Classic Start Menu"

Cant understand why anyone wouldn't want to upgrade for free.
    Really? So you dont mind sharing your internet bandwith with everyone else. That your computer is being used as a peer-to--peer service and people are downloading updates from your computer? You may say you can turn it off but that will only work until the next time an automatic update happens - in which case it will be reset to the default. You better hope you have unlimited internet.

What about all the data being sent to Microsoft? You could say "I have nothing to hide" but that is a really moronic argument. Its not about hiding fraudalent activity, rather than protecting yourself and your identity online (identify theft being the obvious). Anything and everything on your computer can be sent straight to Microsoft. They have already come out with stats on what people are using their computers for - how many hours playing a specific game, how many pictures viewed using their picture app (they can also take copies of the files according to their EULA), anything you type on your keyboard, all documents (personal documents such as pay slips, bank account numbers, etc..) They can sell on all that data if they chose. Aside from whatever Microsoft will be using this data for, what about if/when they get hacked. All that data is in a single location for the hackers.

Especially with windows support and future software compatibility taken into account.
    Windows 10 is no longer being treated as a product. It is now a service. Microsoft themselves have stated that home users will be essentially beta testers. What happens if an automatic update "bricked" your computer? You will have no recourse. You accept that when you agree to install Windows 10. Your hardware is compatible with Windows 10 now but what about in 2 years time. There is a good chance that it will not. Will you still be able to do anything on your computer at this point - highly doubtful. The development and testing are usually done on top of the range equipment. Indeed there are too many variations of specs that ensuring compatibility with all PCs is untenable. What happens then - as it is a service they will say that you no longer meet the criteria and can no longer receive the service (you can't have windows until you update your hardware)

Also, as the updates no longer come with information about what is being changed/updated I can't see how software providers can possibly keep their software up to date. Future software compatibility only works for Microsoft released software - not for third party companies.
    I know a lot of people with older versions of windows. These still work perfectly well on their existing PCs/laptops. However under the new structure their equipment would have been deemed too old ages ago and the "service" would have been suspended.

And after all that, no I am not anti-windows, just anti-windows 10.
    The new "features" and the way it attempts to forcibly worm its way onto your computer means that it is spyware, because it has all the attributes of spyware:
    • Downloads itself to your machine without you specifically asking for it? YES
    • Aggressively attempts to install itself taking over your computer in the process? YES
    • Sends unknown and/or encrypted data to known and unknown third parties? YES
    • Sends personally identifying information to known and unknown third parties? YES
    • Easy to remove? NO

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I know it's annoying not being able to block the automatic updates, but I don't think this is a bad thing (or certainly mandatory for home SKUs, giving the option for Pro ones). People who understand technology will know to keep their OS/software up to date but only yesterday when mum asked me why Google Photos website was not working, I made quite a shocking discovery, see below!:
    385522.jpg
    She had Firefox 4.0 (note the [.] dot!) which was installed just shy of 5 years ago. She also had Java 6.0.240 (it had just been removed but check the bottom of the control panel Window!).
    From a security perspective this is fairly shocking, and she admitted when she saw a pop up to update she would always say no.

Windows was also pre-SP1, so I just used the media creation tool to upgrade it to Windows 10.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭hopeso

I've been getting pop ups almost every day offering me windows 10. I've just clicked the pop ups closed every time.... However, last night I got a pop up telling me my scheduled upgrade to Windows 10 was about to begin, and sure enough the screen went black and the upgrade began. Not knowing how to stop it, I just let it go ahead.
    So, how did this happen? I never knowingly scheduled an upgrade. Has this happened anyone else?

hopeso wrote: »
    I've been getting pop ups almost every day offering me windows 10. I've just clicked the pop ups closed every time.... However, last night I got a pop up telling me my scheduled upgrade to Windows 10 was about to begin, and sure enough the screen went black and the upgrade began. Not knowing how to stop it, I just let it go ahead.
    So, how did this happen? I never knowingly scheduled an upgrade. Has this happened anyone else?

That's Microsoft pushing even harder. Instead of opt-in for the upgrade, they started to require opt-out of it if you don't want it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

hopeso wrote: »

You're not the only one :(http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057598498

GWX Control Panel seems to be the only way to go to prevent it......for now, until Microsoft figure out an update to overide it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

yoyo wrote: »
    I know it's annoying not being able to block the automatic updates, but I don't think this is a bad thing (or certainly mandatory for home SKUs, giving the option for Pro ones). People who understand technology will know to keep their OS/software up to date but only yesterday when mum asked me why Google Photos website was not working, I made quite a shocking discovery, see below!:
    385522.jpg
    She had Firefox 4.0 (note the [.] dot!) which was installed just shy of 5 years ago. She also had Java 6.0.240 (it had just been removed but check the bottom of the control panel Window!).
    From a security perspective this is fairly shocking, and she admitted when she saw a pop up to update she would always say no.

Windows was also pre-SP1, so I just used the media creation tool to upgrade it to Windows 10.

Nick

Patch my pc is your man there!!! Stick it on her desktop and tell her to click it once a week.

jca wrote: »
    Patch my pc is your man there!!! Stick it on her desktop and tell her to click it once a week.

Wasn't aware of that program, very nice find! I will certainly be installing it on her laptop!

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I hope MS force Windows 10 on anyone using Windows 7 soon (unfortunately) . I am sick to my back teeth of people handing me a laptop or PC - "it's broken and I think it might have a virus". It normally ends with me discovering that the bloody thing is riddled with malware and not a single update done for *years*. Unfortunately the majority of consumers simply don't bother / want to know/care about security. MS should have forced updates to Windows years ago.

It's a unfortunate step but I think it is needed.

You can make Windows 10, act and feel like Windows 7 or 8 if you really like the look or feel of 7 or 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I hope MS force Windows 10 on anyone using Windows 7 soon (unfortunately) . I am sick to my back teeth of people handing me a laptop or PC - "it's broken and I think it might have a virus". It normally ends with me discovering that the bloody thing is riddled with malware and not a single update done for *years*. Unfortunately the majority of consumers simply don't bother / want to know/care about security. MS should have forced updates to Windows years ago.

It's a unfortunate step but I think it is needed.

You can make Windows 10, act and feel like Windows 7 or 8 if you really like the look or feel of 7 or 8.

Holy hell. I couldn't think of anything more horrifying that MS could do with its aggressive updates and sneaky telemetry... but you managed to. Outright forced updates.

I didn't pay money for this Windows 7 key to turn into windows 10 outside of my control. The day that happens is the day I'm refunded €80.

Also my computer is virus free. Viruses come from bad habits with tech, not outdated OSs directly. I'd wager I could keep Windows XP more secure than a tech illiterate individual whose system was forced into W10.

I hope MS force Windows 10 on anyone using Windows 7 soon (unfortunately) .

Just give me a reliable driver for AR815x for Windows 10 and I can switch.

Hi Folks

Sorry for been a pain but since updating to Windows 10 on my Toshiba Labtop model Satellite L750, I have discoved that when I shut down from my tasks and put away my laptop and then return to it to browse again and open the display screen the laptop powers away.
    I am not very tech savvy but normally on opening my laptop I always went to the power button to simply turn my laptop on. Why is it now by-passing the power button . Thanks for attention

Hi Folks

Thanks for that information Grogi I picked one from your list and downloaded it onto laptop its working fine. Could I enquire further with another issue that has occurred - when I shut down my laptop and put it away and then return to it to reuse I suddenly discover that upon opening the dispay screen the laptop powers away without activating the power button. Why is it by-passing the power button never did before has windows 10 upgrade altered the configuration. Many Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Control Panel -> Power Options

Lots of options in there to suit your needs.

"Choose what the power button does" etc.

Also, under the power plan you've selected look at "change plan settings", "change advanced power settings".
    Locate "power button and lid" and change the setting to what you desire.
    The Reader wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Thanks for that information Grogi I picked one from your list and downloaded it onto laptop its working fine. Could I enquire further with another issue that has occurred - when I shut down my laptop and put it away and then return to it to reuse I suddenly discover that upon opening the dispay screen the laptop powers away without activating the power button. Why is it by-passing the power button never did before has windows 10 upgrade altered the configuration. Many Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Holy hell. I couldn't think of anything more horrifying that MS could do with its aggressive updates and sneaky telemetry... but you managed to. Outright forced updates.

I didn't pay money for this Windows 7 key to turn into windows 10 outside of my control. The day that happens is the day I'm refunded €80.

Also my computer is virus free. Viruses come from bad habits with tech, not outdated OSs directly. I'd wager I could keep Windows XP more secure than a tech illiterate individual whose system was forced into W10.

I think you are slightly missing the point, objecting to being forcibly upgraded to 10 is fine, there are ways around it.

if you give a tech novice an XP machine, and let them to their own devices, and compare that to them being on win10, the security features of win10 are much better, it is much more difficult for a tech novice to break win10, than XP/7.

I use win10, I have a gmail account, and I use facebook, I don't see how some(any) information going to microsoft is any different than the information that is already going to google/facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

yoyo wrote: »

Nick

That is pretty shocking, question is, how it took you over 6 months from installing teamviewer9 (which is was already 2 years out of date at install date) to notice this...

#justsaying
    :D...I know I am making several assumptions, that could very well be wrong...

kierank01 wrote: »
    That is pretty shocking, question is, how it took you over 6 months from installing teamviewer9 (which is was already 2 years out of date at install date) to notice this...

#justsaying
    :D...I know I am making several assumptions, that could very well be wrong...

It's quite easy to miss these things, :D . Granted the laptop is not used daily but still quite shocking to see just how easy it can happen that important security updates can be ignored for years..
    I probably installed Team viewer even earlier than that and it was upgraded
    (I used to use logmein but gave up on that for team viewer after they began to charge)

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

grogi wrote: »
    That's Microsoft pushing even harder. Instead of opt-in for the upgrade, they started to require opt-out of it if you don't want it...

Happened me last night without warning and today my daughters laptop while she was in the middle of college work,again without warning. very annoying as I kept closing the prompt screen asking me to upgrade, i hate win8 anyway so hopefully 10 is easier to use and navigate through my pc.

Advertisement