Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I give my cleaner a raise?

Comments

Have a cleaner a couple of hours a week, tenner an hour and we usually throw in 5 extra. She flies around the place and the 25 or 30 euros means we get to enjoy Saturdays now instead of it being the "battling hangover, wrestling Hoover, dreading the floor washing" day it was, well worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

FalconGirl wrote: »
    I clean as I go but dust gathers and floors get dirty. Everyone is different. I simply don't have time to be doing a complete clean considering I also study weekends. As a poster above days the cleaners do a more fuller clean.

Maybe you have plenty of time for cleaning. I don't.

I work 40 hours a week over 4 days on top of having kids. I don't need a cleaner because I'm not lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I work 40 hours a week over 4 days on top of having kids. I don't need a cleaner because I'm not lazy.

Puh-lease. It's not a question of laziness. It's a question of how much you value €40-50 by comparison to how much you value your spare time.

I'd personally much rather pay someone than spend half my Saturday cleaning. Don't need to at the moment but I wouldn't hesitate to. Just like sometimes if my laundry has built up, I'll hand a bag into the launderette, and sometimes if I don't feel like cooking I eat.

What's the view like up on that high horse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

I work 40 hours a week in my own consulting gig excluding breaks and go to college in the evenings 4 night's a week and some Saturdays. Any free time outside that is spent on study or assignment work. Right now I'm studying for exams. Rarely do I chill on the couch and when I do get a chance too I'm going to take it.

I'm not lazy either if that's what your alluding too.

Everyone is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'd be very pacific if I had a cleaner.Bathroom,underneath the beds,skirting boards and windows.The rest is a dawdle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

flas wrote: »
    How filthy are some of you?clean your house as you go,it takes 20-30 minutes every day or two,and how do some of you leave your house cleaning for once every couple of weeks?that's disgusting?!unless you can legitimately call one part of your house the west or east wing, then your 3 or 4 bedroom is not to big to clean yourself.

Some people are fcukin deluded

It would explain why people here need to shower so much :pac:

Puh-lease. It's not a question of laziness. It's a question of how much you value €40-50 by comparison to how much you value your spare time.

I'd personally much rather pay someone than spend half my Saturday cleaning. Don't need to at the moment but I wouldn't hesitate to. Just like sometimes if my laundry has built up, I'll hand a bag into the launderette, and sometimes if I don't feel like cooking I eat.

What's the view like up on that high horse?

Wow, I pity your parents and any kids you have or may have in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Why? Because the kids will get to do cool stuff with their parents at the weekend while they employ someone to scrub their toilets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it really sucks for them that I prefer doing fun stuff and enjoying my free time to cleaning. My parents also have a cleaner who comes weekly so I'm sure they'll cope with my decision.

My best guess is you're resentful because you can't afford to pay someone to do yours.

No different from having your dog washed,your house painted or your car valeted.

Why? Because the kids will get to do cool stuff with their parents at the weekend while they employ someone to scrub their toilets?

No because they will most likely grow up to be horrible people who have no idea what real life entails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Don't make a mess of your house and clean as you go. It's not hard.

This country is hilarious.

Yes cause it's only this country who uses cleaners.

You are the hilarious one.

Yeah, it really sucks for them that I prefer doing fun stuff and enjoying my free time to cleaning. My parents also have a cleaner who comes weekly so I'm sure they'll cope with my decision.

My best guess is you're resentful because you can't afford to pay someone to do yours.

I can more than afford to do so but I am not above cleaning my own house, unlike people here. It takes 2 hours max a week to clean a house unless you live in a country estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Sure isn't she lucky to have a job? If shes looking for more, sack her and get a more cost effective replacement.

The cheek of it

• Advertisement

No because they will most likely grow up to be horrible people who have no idea what real life entails.

That's a serious amount of bitterness over someone getting a cleaner in once a week.

Perhaps you'd be better off spending the money on a therapist? Making value judgements about a person's whole lifestyle based on one tidbit of information isn't healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

If she gives you a raise... Fair is fair

That's a serious amount of bitterness over someone getting a cleaner in once a week.

Perhaps you'd be better off spending the money on a therapist? Making value judgements about a person's whole lifestyle based on one tidbit of information isn't healthy.

Bitterness? No, I just can't deal with laziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Riding tide and all that

Well if you are riding her i suppose she deserves a few extra bob

I can more than afford to do so but I am not above cleaning my own house, unlike people here. It takes 2 hours max a week to clean a house unless you live in a country estate.

Let's be honest you don't work and have all the time in the world to clean your house and sit around judging people on the Internet.

• Advertisement

Bitterness? No, I just can't deal with laziness.

And so what if people are lazy and get a cleaner?

If they can afford it why does it bother you so much? What harm are they doing?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    This is a joke , right ? €5 for 3 hrs, "good money for that type of wotk".
    She didnt leave soon enough !
    My cleaner gets €15 for 3hrs and she moans about that !

good money here for that type of work..

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Let's be honest you don't work and have all the time in the world to clean your house and sit around judging people on the Internet.

Oh I wish, I wouldn't be staring down the barrel of an 11 hour shift tomorrow if I was unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Staff call for a reality check on aisle 3...staff call for reality check.

This post is the epitome of 'I'm better than you because I can juggle all of my balls, while the rest of you mere mortals need someone to help you hold them'

Not everyone can, not everyone wants to. That doesn't give you the upper hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think most men want a cleaner but the woman of the house says nay

Just for those people who employ cleaners and also have children. Who cleans up after them on the days when the slave, sorry I mean cleaner, isn't around?

Just for those people who employ cleaners and also have children. Who cleans up after them on the days when the slave, sorry I mean cleaner, isn't around?

Giving money to someone to clean is slavery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

JustTheOne wrote: »

Too many dirty, scruffy lazy fcuks out there. Maybe when their house gets done over they'll think again about giving complete strangers acces to their home

you really seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this. The cleaner isn't a tidy-upper.

They scrub floors and toilets and dust and steam clean and all that jazz.

Maybe if you took a moment to actually read some of the posts here you would have less of a problem with the idea of someone having a cleaner.

For the record I've never had a cleaner but have somehow -- miraculously, not developed the same hatred of others as you, so it could be something to do with your upbringing rather than the upbringing of those who had cleaners around in their childhood.

Ah the begrudgery bell tingles.
    You associate having a cleaner with those in the "Big House".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

The childminder does the washing, loads the dishwasher and sweeps the floor.

Are you saying a cleaner who gets paid in many cases way better than minimum wage is akin to a slave? 15 euro an hour is the going rate in Dublin for a cleaner. And no, I don't have one but I know people who do.

Many cleaners would be completely disgusted at your statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Do you equate €40 for two hours every two weeks to slavery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

If you are in a household where both parents are working 50 hours a week plus commutating, grocery shopping, bringing kids to activities etc. You dont have much time free in the week. Obviously if you have a clean you do daily cleaning yourself eg putting on the dishwasher, cleaning pots etc. But you dont wash the floor or deep clean the bathroom in between

IMO your tone is rather disrespectful to working parents, who would rather spend a few more hours a week with their children than mopping floors in their few time.

Straight edge do you have a childminder for your kids?

By your estimation is that not lazy? Giving the impression that you can just have kids and pay someone else to raise them!! Is that a bad example to set for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Who cleans out under your bridge?

newacc2015 wrote: »
    If you are in a household where both parents are working 50 hours a week plus commutating, grocery shopping, bringing kids to activities etc. You dont have much time free in the week. Obviously if you have a clean you do daily cleaning yourself eg putting on the dishwasher, cleaning pots etc. But you dont wash the floor or deep clean the bathroom in between

IMO your tone is rather disrespectful to working parents, who would rather spend a few more hours a week with their children than mopping floors in their few time.

I work 40 hours, my partner works 40 hours. We have kids who get brought places and to their activities. Our house is always clean. My kids don't suffer for that.

Straight edge do you have a childminder for your kids?

By your estimation is that not lazy? Giving the impression that you can just have kids and pay someone else to raise them!! Is that a bad example to set for them?

Their grandparents mind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

^^^ straight edge punk? I think not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Sounds like you're paying her enough to cover the travel expenses and that. My cleaner just left.. 5euro for three hours every Sunday. That's really good money here for that type of work.

Are you in Bangladesh?

I work 40 hours, my partner works 40 hours. We have kids who get brought places and to their activities. Our house is always clean. My kids don't suffer for that.

OK. Great. Why do you think anyone else's children suffer by having a cleaner around?

Do you think people are saying your house is dirty because you don't have a cleaner?

It's great that you can find the time to clean properly. But there are people who would rather spend that time actually doing something else and they're happy to pay for it. So what exactly is your issue? Or are you just trying to somehow make this all about you?

OK. Great. Why do you think anyone else's children suffer by having a cleaner around?

Do you think people are saying your house is dirty because you don't have a cleaner?

It's great that you can find the time to clean properly. But there are people who would rather spend that time actually doing something else and they're happy to pay for it. So what exactly is your issue? Or are you just trying to somehow make this all about you?

It is just me being completely incapable of understanding why anyone who isn't working 60+ hours a week and living in a 5+ bedroom house needs a cleaner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Buttercake wrote: »
    €40 for 3 hours at the moment, just cleaning no ironing

You could push the boat out and pay her PRSI and all, so that she is legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

What hourly rate do you pay them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Buttercake wrote: »
    €40 for 3 hours at the moment, just cleaning no ironing

Seems fair to me. I'd keep the rate and throw in the odd sweetener for special occasions e.g. bottle of vodka at Easter etc.

• Advertisement

So yes you have childminders, for 40 hours a week?

I hope they get paid well and aren't called slaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

It is just me being completely incapable of understanding why anyone who isn't working 60+ hours a week and living in a 5+ bedroom house needs a cleaner.
    Some people buy cars to get them places more quickly even though they could walk/cycle there if they put aside an extra 2 hours a day. Are they lazy too?

I think you just can't see past the difference of not having the time and not wanting to spend your spare time on something you don't enjoy.

People live different lives to you. As I said already I've never had a cleaner around and my parents were always able to keep the place spotless but I have no issue trying to imagine a home where parents who come home late and leave early would want to pay someone to clean while they go out and enjoy their weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I think most men want a cleaner but the woman of the house says nay

Not necessarily, I brought the idea up of maybe getting someone once a fortnight to do a good scrub, and he was totally against it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I certainly don't need a cleaner, I don't work very long hours, but I have one, as I prefer to spend my time doing other things. I still do all the cooking, ironing, laundry, dishwasher and vacuum a couple of times a week. The place is always tidy, but it's easy to keep it that way when it gets an in-depth clean once a week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement