Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dishonest surcharges

Options
  • 01-05-2016 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I had a loan that SLIGHTLY fell into arrears. I got a call from the bank asking would I like to reduce my monthly payments amount. I agreed. However some time later I noticed that I was being charged interest surcharges of circa 12 percent AER. I queried this with BoI and was bluntly told it was because I was paying less than the agreed amount on my loan. However I stated that when I was offered the opportunity to decrease my monthly payment amount I was never told, either over the phone or in writing, that I would have to pay these surcharges. The bank then said that it would have been outlined in a letter sent to me. When  I asked for a copy of this letter i was then told "oh actually we didn't send you a letter outlining this" but was then told it would have been outlined in the original contract (that I got ten years ago). I feel this is very dishonest. The bank are the "experts" here and I feel the onus was on them to explain to me the consequences of decreasing my monthly payment amounts. The bank has point blankly refused to refund me this interest surcharge amount. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

I had a loan that SLIGHTLY fell into arrears. I got a call from the bank asking would I like to reduce my monthly payments amount. I agreed. However some time later I noticed that I was being charged interest surcharges of circa 12 percent AER. I queried this with BoI and was bluntly told it was because I was paying less than the agreed amount on my loan. However I stated that when I was offered the opportunity to decrease my monthly payment amount I was never told, either over the phone or in writing, that I would have to pay these surcharges. The bank then said that it would have been outlined in a letter sent to me. When  I asked for a copy of this letter i was then told "oh actually we didn't send you a letter outlining this" but was then told it would have been outlined in the original contract (that I got ten years ago). I feel this is very dishonest. The bank are the "experts" here and I feel the onus was on them to explain to me the consequences of decreasing my monthly payment amounts. The bank has point blankly refused to refund me this interest surcharge amount. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Good Morning billywalsh12, 

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie

Sorry to hear that you feel this way about these fees, and we do appreciate all feedback. If you would like to make a complaint in relation to this, please see this link. https://goo.gl/wK18Af

Apologies again, and if you have any further queries please let me know. 

Thanks, 
    Evie 

Advertisement