Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cafe or Latte racer..

• 01-05-2016 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭

It seems the manufacturer's have decided to quids-in on the whole cafe racer/tracker/scrambler scene with new bikes making appearances..
    I myself would rather buy an old bike and do it myself, and have something different...what about you lot...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Horses for courses. Some people enjoy thinkering with old bikes trying to get them to start while slipping on the oil it's leaked onto the floor, others like turning a key and riding off with no issues.

I don't like some types of bike while others are devoted to them. There's enough bikes to keep each happy so why complain, the more options the more people who might ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I love bikes of all types, and have had many. However and despite being in the minority of my friends who actually own them, I'm happy to look and see others work and to ride my own as much as possible.

I like the IDEA of a café racer but I've spent the weekend as one of the organisers of a vintage rally with real ones, here https://m.facebook.com/GalwayVintageMotorcycleClub/

Right now though, I've spent my time in the garage and more interested in riding. If I was in the market I'd buy a modern retro like a Triumph or Guzzi or similar. All of the style, none of the trauma!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Certainly seems to be the in thing right now. I even plunged in myself on a spur of the moment decision - but very happy I did. If you are good mechanically its definitely worth it. You can build a really nice bike for small money. I'm using it as a chance to learn - really enjoying it so far. Very slow going but it will pick up soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Zascar wrote: »
    Certainly seems to be the in thing right now. I even plunged in myself on a spur of the moment decision - but very happy I did. If you are good mechanically its definitely worth it. You can build a really nice bike for small money. I'm using it as a chance to learn - really enjoying it so far. Very slow going but it will pick up soon.

Huge pleasure in doing it yourself ..there's plenty of downsides too but I find the end result negates any bruises or cuts...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Interesting thread.
    Having spent last year restoring a little Yamaha YAS1 we are now starting on a 1979 Honda CB750F with the intention of turning it into a cafe racer. There are some nice examples on Google images which we are using for ideas.
    One thing we've been wondering is the insurance issue.
    What are the implications here?
    The engine, brakes etc will be stock, it's only the body that'll be changed, anybody any info?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

dusty207 wrote: »
    Interesting thread.
    Having spent last year restoring a little Yamaha YAS1 we are now starting on a 1979 Honda CB750F with the intention of turning it into a cafe racer. There are some nice examples on Google images which we are using for ideas.
    One thing we've been wondering is the insurance issue.
    What are the implications here?
    The engine, brakes etc will be stock, it's only the body that'll be changed, anybody any info?
    Thanks

Dont be getting all anal.....just build it and enjoy it..:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's a good questions I was not asked about any Mods, not sure it's worth telling them. Then again if you have a finished bike you need it to be insures for what it's worth and not what the insurance company think a stock bike will be worth.

Dont be getting all anal.....just build it and enjoy it..:)

We will, we will :D:D

It's a good questions I was not asked about any Mods, not sure it's worth telling them. Then again if you have a finished bike you need it to be insures for what it's worth and not what the insurance company think a stock bike will be worth.

Not thinking about the value of the bike, more about hitting something and then them telling you you're not insured :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dusty207 wrote: »
    Not thinking about the value of the bike, more about hitting something and then them telling you you're not insured :mad:

You'll still have 3rd party insurance and they can sue to recoup the cost of the claim, I've never heard of an insurance company suing yet.

• Advertisement

Considering my cafe is my 2nd bike, and I only paid €35 to add it on, I can't imagine them ramping up the costs a huge amount due to a few modifications - all cosmetic.

Considering my cafe is my 2nd bike, and I only paid €35 to add it on, I can't imagine them ramping up the costs a huge amount due to a few modifications - all cosmetic.

Reckon we should get a discount..no expensive fairings,indicators,..etc..:)

Advertisement