Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Going on a trip end of this month ...

• 01-05-2016 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭

Going down to south of France and then back.
    This is the route I plan to follow:
    178DZMjD3MVPVnVS6Ch36yGAfLRPb3OO7MTf_Jdf1wp6tPss98DA7op4E_J5_ogPJiTZUKwo-HRunKWIuA9rJyvAk7QvWF5Ncuo3gA1eItQ9Mbo6scyehMm4JS5JqNztEhZno5JNf8qBoNx-Q_ubekMCTLOSVVZsxtI4NmwVeP42we_jECJNRzITsea82hkbCxh94hPq1a5Ln0daGGRzSA8qXCuD-VadTJJIOBPfZ_zomludaojpkvKpOaCu38-E28um1Ym318EE4VoVSQJN5brkgBOu8I-yIX_fr9UlpvurgenYg9odNvOoQQ52nY7j5mjBP344a5BbIAuarZuveagTHZ_Qz1XyM4nlrYwtsoXEuw00iFhKAggcESi_PdL6FWNpFQzRO2_iJNBVT5oZogzFkhkiU3HD5_Qv4WSze-lLTzQfr7gaX1EyDz-Xez2KK6LETaukOdBGWFTP5xBV5CtIKImoKnlg49dFJjbksB3vGGaGYGocOipCIyzXC8JQHRJO-e138iY51RBai888UePXfQnU2wSGmIIO16TrdlSMuiEMB9Lsy-KvMUQb9vH-=w1495-h774-no

All the ferries, tunnels and stops are booked and bike is as ready as it can be.

On the way down, stopping for 1 day visiting Family in Belgium then Black Forest in Germany and through Switzerland to Italy to end up in Provence for 2 nights.

Way back through France, Britain and Wales over 2 1/2 days.

It will be my first long, solo trip and I cannot wait to get it started.

I'll try to capture some footage and report back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

What bike are you taking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Enjoy. The Route Napoleon is an amazing biking road. Just watch out for some crazy riders on the Alpine passes.

Are you doing France and the UK in 2.5 days or just the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The Black Forest is just majestic, take the B500 from north to south the road is just incredible was there 2 yrs ago and I pine to go back big time. I highly recommend stopping in Titisee in southern Germany its at the bottom of the black forest on the B500 route and the food and scenery are epic.

Get as much footage as you can it will be amazing trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

b_mac2 wrote: »
    What bike are you taking?

BMW R1200GS Adventure. Should be OK in term of comfort.
    I did a ~950km photo rally collection last week-end and it was fine on a mix of highway and Irish secondary roads so I do not expect any problem.
    And my longest leg is ~900 of highways on the first day.
    I already did it multiple times in the car and it's fine (and I'll have one day to recover)
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Enjoy. The Route Napoleon is an amazing biking road. Just watch out for some crazy riders on the Alpine passes.

Are you doing France and the UK in 2.5 days or just the UK?

Yes, I'm a bit short on time on the way back.
    I'll leave Nice around Friday noon and have the tunnel booked for Sunday morning and the ferry from Holyhead on Sunday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Plopli wrote: »
    BMW R1200GS Adventure. Should be OK in term of comfort.
    I did a ~950km photo rally collection last week-end and it was fine on a mix of highway and Irish secondary roads so I do not expect any problem.
    And my longest leg is ~900 of highways on the first day.
    I already did it multiple times in the car and it's fine (and I'll have one day to recover)

Yes, I'm a bit short on time on the way back.
    I'll leave Nice around Friday noon and have the tunnel booked for Sunday morning and the ferry from Holyhead on Sunday night.

I did the guts of 1k in a day on the autoroute and it was though going. Bring some headphones for the autoroute as they are boring as hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

post updates and pictures if possible. id be really interested in keeping tabs on this! sounds like an epic trip and id love to do something similar one day. enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Harry Fox

Good luck Plopli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'll be doing something very similar this summer myself, also on an R12000 Adventure :)

Post loads of pics and let us know how it goes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Nice one, I did something similar a few years back and its great. AS mentioned the Route de Napoleon is incredible. Get in as many twistys as you can. How long is it going to take you?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Good luck, sounds great. Am doing something similar myself at the end of the month, except more west France...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Safe riding on the trip....

Will have to catch up on you with the IBA photo rally pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    The Black Forest is just majestic, take the B500 from north to south the road is just incredible was there 2 yrs ago and I pine to go back big time. I highly recommend stopping in Titisee in southern Germany its at the bottom of the black forest on the B500 route and the food and scenery are epic.

Get as much footage as you can it will be amazing trip.

B500 is now on the plan, thanks for the advice.

I'm getting a Garmin Virb XE powered from the bike and will have the Sony on the helmet. I hope it will give me some good footage.
    Zascar wrote: »
    Nice one, I did something similar a few years back and its great. AS mentioned the Route de Napoleon is incredible. Get in as many twistys as you can. How long is it going to take you?

Starting on Saturday early ferry from Dublin, I have to be in Provence for the Wednesday noon (work related stuff there).
    I stop on the first Sunday in Belgium to visit family.
    I then leave Provence on the Friday noon and have the ferry back to Dublin on Sunday evening.
    So it's 9 days away and 6 days riding.
    buzzard wrote: »
    Safe riding on the trip....

Will have to catch up on you with the IBA photo rally pics

I should get one more for end of this week. I'll have 2 mores to collect in the North West, maybe for the weekend if the family allows for it. But I'll probably finish it before leaving for this one.

I should also finish the Irish Photo Rally this week if all goes well.
    sonic85 wrote: »
    post updates and pictures if possible. id be really interested in keeping tabs on this! sounds like an epic trip and id love to do something similar one day. enjoy!

I'll do my best. Thanks for the good wishes.
    I had planned a tour of Scotland up to the Shetlands but the reliability of the Bandit decided otherwise (it's a '99 with more than 150000 km on the clocks and I had multiple issues with it).
    I'm not sure the BMW is more reliable (for all the BMW haters around :D) but a least I've full Europe roadside assistance ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Sounds fantastic. I did something similar a fair few years ago - Across France to Basle in Switzerland, up to Freiburg, through the Black Forest, back into Switzerland, over the San Bernadino Pass into Italy, west into France again and up Route de Napoleon. Back to the ferry and home again. but I took about 3 weeks to do it! So very lazy, relaxed riding!

Advertisement