Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car sale - Transfer of ownership

• 01-05-2016 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello everybody, I'm Paul, from France and I'm new in Boards.ie.

I recently "bought" a new car to a car saler in Cork and I'm little bit worried ..

I paid him 3650€ for the car (1825 of deposit and then the rest, by bank transfer).
    He brought me the car with the key but I still have no paper for it.

I asked him and he told me that he sent a request for the transfer of ownership. I sent the form the 18th but I still didn't receive anything. I called him two days ago and he told me that it can take 10 days to arrive, and the papers will arrive directly at my mailbox.

But the weirdest thing is that I didn't signed or filled any form or paper ... Is it normal ?
    I'm not from Ireland so I don't really know hos it works here ..

Can someone please give me his/her opinion ? Is there something I should do ?

Thanks in advance everyone and have a good day

Paul

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You should have filled out the VLC and signed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Seiltanzer

kceire wrote: »
    You should have filled out the VLC and signed it.

So he's lying when he said that he sent the papers for the ownership transfer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Seiltanzer wrote: »
    So he's lying when he said that he sent the papers for the ownership transfer ?

Put your registration in below to see if ownership has changed recently. If it hasn't changed then you need to get back onto the garage to make sure he sends off the VLC.

https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/start.do;jsessionid=0aa0114730d8c2337d9e5b1e43a898a791df9c7636b5.e38PaNaSbh0RaO0NaxiPe0?page=welcome

Del2005 wrote: »
    Put your registration in below to see if ownership has changed recently. If it hasn't changed then you need to get back onto the garage to make sure he sends off the VLC.

It seems not :
    Vehicle Details RENAULT / SCENIC
    Purchased by a Dealer on : 21/03/2016
    Notified on : 11/04/2016
    No Vehicle Registration Certificate issued in the last 3 months

I'll try to call him tomorrow ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If you bought from a legit dealer, you may not have signed the VLC.

I'd give it at least another week before I start to panic.

• Advertisement

If you bought from a legit dealer, you may not have signed the VLC.

I'd give it at least another week before I start to panic.

Ok thank you, the problem is that I need to suscribe to an insurance asap (my french car go bac in France the 22nd) so I need thos papers asap ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Ok thank you, the problem is that I need to suscribe to an insurance asap (my french car go bac in France the 22nd) so I need thos papers asap ...

Just ring the insurance company with the reg number, you can start your insurance policy before the log book comes back.

lollsangel wrote: »
    Just ring the insurance company with the reg number, you can start your insurance policy before the log book comes back.

Thank you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was the seller a motor dealer with a garage or some guy who met you in a car park? Did he show you the car's registration documents?

If he was a proper motor dealer then he probably has the ability to process the transfer of ownership online and is correct in saying it takes about 1 week or 2 to process. If he was just some guy that met you somewhere public with the car and told you he would send off the transfer of ownership without getting you to sign it then chances are he never got it from the previous owner of the car.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Was the seller a motor dealer with a garage or some guy who met you in a car park? Did he show you the car's registration documents?

If he was a proper motor dealer then he probably has the ability to process the transfer of ownership online and is correct in saying it takes about 1 week or 2 to process. If he was just some guy that met you somewhere public with the car and told you he would send off the transfer of ownership without getting you to sign it then chances are he never got it from the previous owner of the car.

As I understood, he's a car dealer working with a garage. All the cars were parked in his own backyard. He welcomed me in his house and when he bought the car, he gave me a photocopy of his id. I saw that he dealt with other people before and he has good feedback.

• Advertisement

Well if he has a premises and he answered your calls then at least that's something. Did he take your name and address for the transfer of ownership?

Well if he has a premises and he answered your calls then at least that's something. Did he take your name and address for the transfer of ownership?

Yes He did ask me. He also asked me if we wanted to transfer the car to my name or my girlfriend's.

Yes He did ask me. He also asked me if we wanted to transfer the car to my name or my girlfriend's.

Well just remember your insurance company will insist on the policy holder being the registered owner of the car as the policyholder needs to have an insurable interest in the car. So if the car is registered in your girlfriend's name and the insurance policy is in your name then you have no insurable interest in the car as it's not registered in your name. Just make sure the registration of the car and the insurance policy are both in the same person's name.

Well just remember your insurance company will insist on the policy holder being the registered owner of the car as the policyholder needs to have an insurable interest in the car. So if the car is registered in your girlfriend's name and the insurance policy is in your name then you have no insurable interest in the car as it's not registered in your name. Just make sure the registration of the car and the insurance policy are both in the same person's name.

Yes that's exactly why we put the car on my girlfriend's name. We heard that the insurance is cheaper for women. So we'll put the insurance on her name, and we'll add me as a second driver.

Not anymore, they brought gender equalisation in about 12 or 18 months ago which means they cannot do that based on just male versus female. The only way it might benefit you is if you still have a French driver's license and it's cheaper for her assuming she has an Irish driver's license. However if you only are a named driver on her policy but are the main driver of the car then that is known as "fronting" in the insurance world and insurance companies are well aware of it. They may just load the policy with whomever is the highest risk irrespective of whom the policyholder is.

Not anymore, they brought gender equalisation in about 12 or 18 months ago which means they cannot do that based on just male versus female. The only way it might benefit you is if you still have a French driver's license and it's cheaper for her assuming she has an Irish driver's license. However if you only are a named driver on her policy but are the main driver of the car then that is known as "fronting" in the insurance world and insurance companies are well aware of it. They may just load the policy with whomever is the highest risk irrespective of whom the policyholder is.

We both converted our french licence to an irish one. And we both drive the car often, equal time so I don't think we'll have problem with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Well just remember your insurance company will insist on the policy holder being the registered owner of the car as the policyholder needs to have an insurable interest in the car.

One always has insurable interest in TPL insurance (it is even hard to speak about insurable interest in such case).
    What you're saying applies only to the CASCO part.

Unfortunately no insurer will sell insurance if one doesn't own a car, even when they will be happy to provide "Driving of other cars" benefit. Wild Wild West I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes that's exactly why we put the car on my girlfriend's name. We heard that the insurance is cheaper for women. So we'll put the insurance on her name, and we'll add me as a second driver.

It is not. There are regulations (since 21st Dec 2012) that strictly prohibit the above.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/20121030%20ConsumerInfoNote_Unisex%20insurance.pdf/Files/20121030%20ConsumerInfoNote_Unisex%20insurance.pdf

Advertisement