Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taught Masters Degree by Thesis

Options
  • 01-05-2016 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all, need a bit of knowledge from the people on here.

I completed a Higher Cert. in Business Studies a few years ago, took a year out, went back for the L7 and failed some exams that I didn't go back and repeat. Stupid I know but at the time I was only in employment where it didn't matter and wasn't sure how life would play out. Now I am in a different position where I can go back online and redo the L7 and continue on to the L8 and then some. Thankfully life has shown me how difficult it can be and I want to improve my opportunities. I have seen that the L8 is called a Taught Masters Degree by Thesis, but I am now exactly sure what this means, is it a L8 or higher level?

My question is can I continue with my plan and complete my degree online and after that is there a route that I can qualify as and become a Lecturer in a Third Level Institution?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Are you sure it's a Masters degree? Level 8 on the National Framework is either a Bachelor's degree, or a higher diploma (see here for details: http://www.nfq-qqi.com/).

As a side note, while a Level 8 degree is a minimum to lecture, in reality a Level 9 is an absolute must for ITs, Level 10 (PhD) is usually required for universities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hunter101

Hi Tom, its called a Taught Masters Degree by Thesis on the IT Sligo website. Would you have any information about how to get a L9 or Higher online? Also would the fact that I studied online or failed a year stop me from becoming a lecturer?

P.S. Thanks for the advice and I'll have a look at the link now

Hunter101 wrote: »
    Hi Tom, its called a Taught Masters Degree by Thesis on the IT Sligo website.

Is it this one: https://itsligo.ie/courses/msc-in-marketing-onlineblended/

If so, that's as I suspected, a Level 9, not a Level 8. And if you look at the entry requirements, you need a Level 8 degree to enroll in it.
    Would you have any information about how to get a L9 or Higher online?

Have a look at the various ITs/Universities - a lot of them do such courses.
    Also would the fact that I studied online or failed a year stop me from becoming a lecturer?

While I don't think it would necessarily stop you, how would you compare to other candidates that have passed first time? Would you explain to your students that you failed a year? Or would you hide it and hope they don't find out?

In reality, it is a combination of factors, including relevant industry experience (I would say at an absolute minimum five years), prior teaching experience, publishing record and qualifications. So getting the taught masters is really only the first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

If this is it its a level 8.

https://itsligo.ie/courses/bachelor-of-business-hons-online/

You will then need an MSC (minimum) after to become a lecturer

Hi Keane2baMused, would you know if IT Sligo offers such a qualification or anywhere else, that is if its available online at all?

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Is it this one: https://itsligo.ie/courses/msc-in-marketing-onlineblended/

If so, that's as I suspected, a Level 9, not a Level 8. And if you look at the entry requirements, you need a Level 8 degree to enroll in it.

Have a look at the various ITs/Universities - a lot of them do such courses.

While I don't think it would necessarily stop you, how would you compare to other candidates that have passed first time? Would you explain to your students that you failed a year? Or would you hide it and hope they don't find out?

In reality, it is a combination of factors, including relevant industry experience (I would say at an absolute minimum five years), prior teaching experience, publishing record and qualifications. So getting the taught masters is really only the first step.

I think its a lower one than that Tom, its the one Keane2baMused posted.

Hi Keane2baMused, would you know if IT Sligo offers such a qualification or anywhere else, that is if its available online at all?

Have you looked at the Open University? they offer thousands of courses and you can do it on a module by module basis

Have you looked at the Open University? they offer thousands of courses and you can do it on a module by module basis

Thank you once agaon. Ill have a look at it in the morning, have the day off so plenty of free time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

That looks like an error on the website.

This is a standard level 8 business degree over 2 years with no dissertation, the dissertation is done as part of the level 7.

Hi Tom, its called a Taught Masters Degree by Thesis on the IT Sligo website. Would you have any information about how to get a L9 or Higher online? Also would the fact that I studied online or failed a year stop me from becoming a lecturer?

As dingding says, that looks like a typo on the website.

Technically, the job spec requires a Bachelor's degree, plus three years post-grad experience to lecture at an IT.

However, as I have said above, realistically, you would need an MSc.

• Advertisement

Technically, the job spec requires a Bachelor's degree, plus three years post-grad experience to lecture at an IT.

You haven't a hope in hell of getting a lecturing post with the above.

Hence my advice of needing an MSc minimum

You haven't a hope in hell of getting a lecturing post with the above.

Hence my advice of needing an MSc minimum

And hence why I gave the exact same advice:
    As a side note, while a Level 8 degree is a minimum to lecture, in reality a Level 9 is an absolute must for ITs, Level 10 (PhD) is usually required for universities.

I think the confusion is arising out of the typo on the IT Sligo website - it is Level 8, it is not a taught masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Also it is likely that preference would be given to someone with a level 10 qualification or making progress to getting one

Thanks for the info guys, will have a long road ahead of me but when God made time he made plenty of it. Cheers for all the advise, ill just have to start at the beginning and see where I get to, but as Conor Mc Gregor said, if your dreams dont scare ya, then their not big enough

Thanks for the info guys, will have a long road ahead of me but when God made time he made plenty of it. Cheers for all the advise, ill just have to start at the beginning and see where I get to, but as Conor Mc Gregor said, if your dreams dont scare ya, then their not big enough

A couple of pointers that may help you from my own experience:
    • as we have said above, aim for an MSc
    • keep an eye on the papers in August/early September for part-time lecturing positions, particularly in the evenings
    • Get into some role in your own job where you train people,
    • Ensure you get plenty of relevant experience. Look at what the colleges are teaching, see what subjects you could potentially teach

and never give up. It is a particularly fulfilling job, you are always making a difference to people's lives.

Hunter I'm not sure if it's an option for you but the NCIRL have started doing a fast track 2 year BA in HR Management (qqi approved)They also have a fast track marketing one now which is awaiting qqi approval.

It's done in two years due to the shorter holiday periods.

Two evenings a week and some online/home study

If you're a mature student you won't need to go back and finish your L7 it's based on your application.

Hunter I'm not sure if it's an option for you but the NCIRL have started doing a fast track 2 year BA in HR Management (qqi approved)They also have a fast track marketing one now which is awaiting qqi approval.

It's done in two years due to the shorter holiday periods.

Two evenings a week and some online/home study

If you're a mature student you won't need to go back and finish your L7 it's based on your application.

That might not suit but HR is an area I would have aninterest in so Ill look into that too. Once again thank you very much.:)

Advertisement