Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Film Production or English Literature with Film Studies?

Options
  • 01-05-2016 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am 18 years old. I aspire to be a Director / Writer. Next year, I will be going to College regardless of what exactly that entails. The decision I have to make, is whether to study Film Production or get an English Literature degree.

Studying Film Production would mean going to a smaller art college of about 2000 students (IADT Dun Laoghaire) with access to facilities like an Arri Alexa. I would have an environment for 4 years where I could focus on learning and making films. I would be in a class of 30 students who are all interested in pursuing a career in film.

However, I am also interested in English Literature (Trinity College Dublin). Many prominent filmmakers recommend getting a degree in something other than film so you have something to make films about. I would also be taking Film Studies to academically study and analyse film. This university has a much larger atmosphere with a lot more 'going on' generally speaking, and a Film Society with 400 members (founded by director Lenny Abrahamson of Room). I would work to study film on my own using online resources and practice writing. The filmmaking facilities in this college would be sub par to the other college.

I have a Canon 7D, a microphone, and a tripod. I have the basic equipment required to make student films either way. I feel perhaps the latter college has more diversity and scope for general learning in terms of personal growth and opportunities to meet people.

Either way I am aware that both degrees are not exactly valuable to employers. I apologise if my question is vague but to simply put it, what do you think is a better environment for the next 4 years of my life if I want to be a filmmaker?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I would say if you want to be a filmmaker then study film production in IADT.

You'll make connections with other filmmakers over the years there which will pay off down the line.

I did my final year of college there (back when you could transfer in and complete the degree year) and am still working on TV and film projects with people I met there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dirk.Diggler

I would say if you want to be a filmmaker then study film production in IADT.

You'll make connections with other filmmakers over the years there which will pay off down the line.

I did my final year of college there (back when you could transfer in and complete the degree year) and am still working on TV and film projects with people I met there.

Thanks. Bit of a no brainer really, but yes everyone I've talked to has said trust your gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Thanks. Bit of a no brainer really, but yes everyone I've talked to has said trust your gut.

Yeah no brainier for me IADT. The only reason I'd consider a different degree is to have something to fall back on as a career of film making doesn't work out. And a degree in literature wouldn't really be enough on its own for that. If you are wanting to do a degree in one thing and study a different thing on your own so you have stuff to make films about then I'd switch them around. Study production in college and do all the other stuff in your spare time

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dirk.Diggler

Hrududu wrote: »
    Yeah no brainier for me IADT. The only reason I'd consider a different degree is to have something to fall back on as a career of film making doesn't work out. And a degree in literature wouldn't really be enough on its own for that. If you are wanting to do a degree in one thing and study a different thing on your own so you have stuff to make films about then I'd switch them around. Study production in college and do all the other stuff in your spare time

That's basically been the question I've been asking myself. See many people say "wanna be a filmmaker? Make films" and advise to 'learn about the world' first because they claim 'you can teach yourself film'. The same is true for the opposite though as you've said. There's no reason why I can't study history, read biographies, watch lectures online independently, while having professional education in the field I'm truly passionate about.

Advertisement