Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Debt Company

Options
  • 01-05-2016 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

This company called the irish debt bureau in association with BCW are starting to annoy me with their letters and phone calls, threatening legal action and a home visit?, it is related to an electricity company that think i owe them money but i don't think i do and there not getting a penny but lets put that to the side and look at what is important, who are this company? are they real? anyone else here have dealings with them? outcomes? and advice would be greatly appreciated

PS - I don't need smart comments about the actual debt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sounds like you ran up a bill and bailed on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Here's a smart comment whether you like it or not, find out for certain if you do owe the service company and supply them with proof of payment to confirm you don't, and if you do in fact owe them money, pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Books4you

I agree with Davo10. Until you find out if you actually owe them, and let's be honest the fact that you say let's put that to one side probably means you do, then there is not much point in doing anything else. Find out for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Deal with the utility firm - not BCW. They haven't sold the debt to them so their claims of "we can't deal with it..." aren't true.

It never ceases to amaze me how quick people are to offer advice about "hanging up", "closing the door" or discussing the likelihood of legal proceedings. The op isn't sure whether he owes money, but is refusing to pay anyway. This takes a particular personality, who would want a debt collector calling to their home if they could avoid it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,435 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had bcw on to me here. Definitely didn't owe the money. Got letters too. There was actually a credit on my account. Got 4 phone calls from them.

Mr.S wrote: »
    davo10 wrote: »
    It never ceasesor discussing the likelihood of legal proceedings. The op isn't sure whether he owes money, but is refusing to pay anyway. This takes a particular personality, who would want a debt collector calling to their home if they could avoid it?

Well the agency aren't going to listen anyway, all they want is payment, so you'd be right to ignore them if you think you are in the clear. Just deal directly with the utility company.

Of course they want payment, why else would they be contacting the op?

In the opening post the op says he doesn't "think" he owes them money but either way they are "not getting a penny", what is the point of drawing a debt collection company on yourself? The op doesn't say he can't pay, he said he won't pay, as I said, at indicates a particular breed of personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ben_Nevis

You might find that engaging with a collection company can help you resolve the matter easier in comparison to trying to resolve it directly with the energy provider.

My advice would be to request a copy of the invoice which the collection company will already have, check the dates and the meter readings on the invoice and compare them to your own records. If then you are confident you don't owe the money, you can put your case forward.

As the previous poster mentioned, a poor attitude will not help you. Your account will be passed from pillar to post until the energy company decide to either give up or get their solicitors to issue legal proceedings against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Do you owe money or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭liam650

Now they are calling me with unknown number, getting ridiculous now

• Advertisement

liam650 wrote: »
    Now they are calling me with unknown number, getting ridiculous now

Have you checked to see if you owe them money?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭liam650

davo10 wrote: »
    Have you checked to see if you owe them money?

kind of irrelevant tbh, the focus is on the harassment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

liam650 wrote: »
    kind of irrelevant tbh, the focus is on the harassment

It's far from irrelevant.

If you owe the money, you should engage with the company to see if you can come to an arrangement to discharge the debt. This assumes, of course that you don't have the means to pay it now .

Of course, if you do have the means, then the easiest way to cease the " harassment" is to pay what you owe.

The ball is in your court.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,915 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

First things first; find out do you owe them money.

If you don't, then I'd be sending a letter of complaint into the electricity company to find out why they sent a debt collector after you. If this is the case it might be worth getting on to the Data Protection Commissioner to see if there's a breach if they gave your details to a debt collection company in error.

If you do owe them money, then engage with the electricity company and work out a payment plan or something, it's the easiest way to stop the debt collectors ringing.

In relation to the frequency of calls, etc, that's pretty standard form for Debt Collectors TBH. Search this forum and there's a few threads about them.

Advertisement