Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Prefect Voltage Regulator problem

Options
  • 01-05-2016 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I own a Ford Prefect and I'm having trouble charging the battery when the car is running. There seems to be a problem with the Voltage Regulator. When I tap the regulator, the clock on the dashboard starts charging and keeps fluctuating. When I stop and restart the car, I have the same problem (ie no reading on volt meter on dashboard).

Can anyone recommend how to overcome/sort this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
    Arkose

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I'd start at the beginning making sure the battery is decent, both holding a charge and can take a charge also check the connections on the battery and the earth connections on the body of the car. Then check around the dynamo connections etc. It might be no harm to take the dynamo off the car and check the brushes and the commutator. When you're entirely satisfied only then is it worth looking at the regulator. Just check all the contacts are clean, nothing else really gives trouble in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 countrydude

Arkose wrote: »
    Hi,

I own a Ford Prefect and I'm having trouble charging the battery when the car is running. There seems to be a problem with the Voltage Regulator. When I tap the regulator, the clock on the dashboard starts charging and keeps fluctuating. When I stop and restart the car, I have the same problem (ie no reading on volt meter on dashboard).

Can anyone recommend how to overcome/sort this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
    Arkose
    inside the regulator is a set of points which made need a rub of fine sandpaper, worth looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

inside the regulator is a set of points which made need a rub of fine sandpaper, worth looking at

I agree, sounds like that could be the issue, an easy fix if it is

Advertisement