Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lying Down

• 01-05-2016 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Occasionally when we encounter another dog when out on a walk Finn will lie down. Any idea why he'd do this? Is it a playful ambush thing or serious ambush thing?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd see it as a sign that he's a little unsure of what to do when meeting a stranger, but at the same time doesn't want to run away/hide/back down, so assumes a quiet, "I'm happy if you ignore me, I don't intend to take an active role in this greeting but I will if I have to" position by lying down. They usually get up when the other dog comes within a certain distance. My old Westie used to do it too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

What breed of dog is Finn? I think most if not all dogs I have met that do this have a bit of herding blood in them.

My GSD loves to do this with little dogs who are approaching him (he loves small dogs, a little nervous of large/same sized dogs as himself!) but of course it scares the crap out of the little things when he suddenly gets up to greet them, and it's awkward for me because I can't move the heffalump when he does it!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    What breed of dog is Finn? I think most if not all dogs I have met that do this have a bit of herding blood in them.
    DBB wrote: »
    My old Westie used to do it too

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

One of my dogs does it to dogs she knows as a playful ambush thing. But it's only to dogs she knows so may not be comparable. She'll lie down, stare at them, wait, and then run out at them and play bow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

DBB wrote: »
    :eek:

Your lil Westie was a weird one so. :P :D

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement

VonVix wrote: »
    Your lil Westie was a weird one so. :P :D

No, it's coz Westies don't play by the rules. Ever.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks for the replies. He's a mixed breed, probably pointer, very possibly some sighthound, no sign of any herding breed.

He did it today to a dog that for all the world looked like a duck tolling retriever; lay down, very alert, when he saw it, then rushed it when it got closer. He was a lot more physical and growlier than he usually is when he meets another dog. He's generally fairly polite to other dogs and his style of play is less wrestling and more trying to get them to chase him.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

My collie does this ALL THE TIME...even to humans sometimes! Definitely the herding traits in my instance though.

She crouches, doesn't move an inch and then only when the other dogs notices she darts at full speed....in the opposite direction! And border collies are supposed to be smart ones?!? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

My dog who does it is also a westie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

My Patterdale/JRT x does this
    Always with dogs he doesnt know approaching
    He is rubbish with dogs he doesnt know - really anti-social :(
    Ive always thought it was nervousness
    He always jumps up and can be somewhat aggressive (posturing/growling - never attacks) when the oncoming dog arrives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement