Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaping

• 01-05-2016 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello,

I want to get into vaping/e-cigs (don't quite know the difference).

Have tried a UK brand called Vampire Vape, which resulted in a really bad cough the next day.

I normally have approx. 26 Silk Cut silver every day; would like some advice on what/where to buy something to suit me.

Also, if it takes about 6/7 mins. to smoke a cigarette how long do you know how to have the alternative for?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

E-cig's are the devices used to vaporize the e-liquids, vaping is the action of heating that juice and inhaling the vapour :)

I had a very similar smoking habit to you before I quit. I was on 20 - 30 silk cut per day. And my lungs were shot to crap, had smoked for just over 20 yrs.

Things are a lot better now for people looking to quit via vaping. Back then there was very limited choices, the devices were mostly a bit crap, and it took a lot of researching to finally find a good solid all day set up.

The juice you got was probably too high in nicotine, and very high in PG also. It really depends on what device and tank you are using? I would suggest sticking to 6mg nicotine. You vape whenever you feel the urge pretty much. There's no strict guidelines.

Let us know what your device/tank set up is

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kkcat70

I bought this thing:
    ELECTRONIC SHISHA VAPE PEN RECHARGABLE E LIQUID EJUICE 1100mAh BLACK + 2 eLiquid

from ebay.

yeah, as I thought, it's much like the old ego style batteries. The battery itself is fine, the tanks are a bit crappy though. If you can buy online, or if you have a vape shop nearby, a tank like the eleaf GS air would be a lot better. Better if you go to a vape shop and have them show you how to set it up. And try some lighter nic juice.

Many thanks; haven't a clue what I'm doing so your help is appreciated.
    The stuff I was using was bought by someone who smokes x10 stronger than me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

Are silk cut silver the ones with 0.1mg of nicotine in them? If so you'd probably want an ejuice with 6mg strength.

There's so much vaping gear out there it's hard to get your head around it but it's always worth spending a little on a half decent device.

• Advertisement

kkcat70 wrote: »
    Many thanks; haven't a clue what I'm doing so your help is appreciated.
    The stuff I was using was bought by someone who smokes x10 stronger than me!!!

yeah I thought I needed a lot more nic when I started, but dropped down after a while and found it much more satisfying. Go for flavour over strength, and don't worry too much about trying to emulate the cig's. You'll probably never find a juice that tastes exactly like a cig. I know a lot of people go for menthol when they start, because you can't really go wrong there. And then try the odd fruity juice, slowly but surely you'll distance yourself from tobacco and be more comfortable with different flavours. Have a look about your area for a vape shop, I'd head in some day and ask a bunch of questions. They are there to help you, they love to see new vapers come in

Thanks to you both!!

Yes chipfox they are the lowest of the low cigs other than smoking a paper bag!!!

chipfox wrote: »
    Are silk cut silver the ones with 0.1mg of nicotine in them? If so you'd probably want an ejuice with 6mg strength.

There's so much vaping gear out there it's hard to get your head around it but it's always worth spending a little on a half decent device.

Depends, they range from Silk Cut ultra which are 0.1 to Silk cut purple, which have 0.7mg

I finished smoking on those, I'd been through every known cig in the UK and Ireland over the years before that though :D To think I started out at 11yrs old, on JPBs :(

Hey TheCageyOne - if you started out at that age fair dues to you for quitting.
    Yeah, silver are the 0.1 smokes - been on them for about 15 yrs now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

Vaping gave me a bit of a cough at first, don't worry about that, just keep vaping. I think we all start out on cheap pen vapes at first and very quickly want something more. They're not even that cheap compared to the "good" sort of devices. I wouldn't go too mad, something like a kangertech subox kit or an evic vtc is really all you need long term to kick the tobacco. I have both (one as a spare) and they've treated me really well.

Been using the same two batteries since November too and they last me well.

If you're serious about giving up cigs at the very minimum you'll need a tank (holds the juice, coils and cotton), a box (the thing the tank screws onto) and 2 x 18650 batteries and a charger. One battery is simply not an option. Worry about the juices later, just make sure you keep at it

• Advertisement

The smaller devices are fine yeah, I use the Evic mini still, and only recently got a Pico.

You're looking at cloe to €100 for the full decent kit to start though, for now just use what you got, maybe buy a back up one. Worst thing that can happen is your battery runs out, and you get the urge for a smoke! Always have a back up.

And best of luck :) Don't be afraid to ask a million questions if needed.

Thanks to you both; will visit one of the establishments and see what happens!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭j26m

I used to swap between rollies and Silk Cut Silver (when I was feeling flush and fancied spending the guts of 100 quid a week :eek: ) I used to smoke about 30 a day when I was on them.

I started on 18mg liquid with 70%PG - Liqua juices, and I got sufficient hit from that to make me prefer vaping. It does hit the throat, and you will cough a bit in the first few days, but that's because your body isn't used to it. It'll pass in a couple of days.
    After a couple of months, I was starting to react to the PG and high nicotine, so I switched 9mg liquid with 30-35%PG, ad the reactions are gone. I'm looking at dropping the nicotine again in the next month or two as my agenda is to eventually get off it altogether.

Moral is, it doesn't matter too much what you start on, just get started. Once you take the plunge, you can swap about to find what suits you best. 18mg is a good starter level, then try 12mg and see if you're okay with the reduced level. Maybe a bottle of each, and you can try one after the other.

I started with Liqua Cuban Cigar, which is a decent tobacco substitute - tastes nothing like Cuban cigars though! Go into a shop and find a flavour you reckon you can live with and get going - it's the best choice you'll make in a long time.

As for kits, the GS Air tank is a great tank - I have 2. there's also the Cubis, which is a bit finnicky when tightening, as you can cut off the juice supply by overtightening it, but has great flavour when you get it right. The eGrip is also a great starter kit for about 50 quid - tank and battery in one robust little package, and really good flavour.

Edit: Oh, be prepared for the shinyitis and desire for new stuff......

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johanrobert

Eleaf iStick 200w i want to buy this tell me uses and Features
    how can you found in use ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Eleaf iStick 200w i want to buy this tell me uses and Features
    how can you found in use ???

Here is a couple of videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iijxPG39Htg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q05O2bxno7U

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BernardChan

Seven-year experience of smoking and I transferred my habit to try vaping seven months ago, I would say coughing is normal at the first time, as soon as I used to vaping, no more coughs. And I can take more deep breaths as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Seven-year experience of smoking and I transferred my habit to try vaping seven months ago, I would say coughing is normal at the first time, as soon as I used to vaping, no more coughs. And I can take more deep breaths as well.

Nice one Bernard,those ciggy's are a killer,I'm 8 years vaping now & still love it,what vaping set-up did you start with & what are you using now...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eireboi83

chipfox wrote: »
    Vaping gave me a bit of a cough at first, don't worry about that, just keep vaping. I think we all start out on cheap pen vapes at first and very quickly want something more. They're not even that cheap compared to the "good" sort of devices. I wouldn't go too mad, something like a kangertech subox kit or an evic vtc is really all you need long term to kick the tobacco. I have both (one as a spare) and they've treated me really well.

Been using the same two batteries since November too and they last me well.

If you're serious about giving up cigs at the very minimum you'll need a tank (holds the juice, coils and cotton), a box (the thing the tank screws onto) and 2 x 18650 batteries and a charger. One battery is simply not an option. Worry about the juices later, just make sure you keep at it

pity i didnt take ur advice before i started vaping.Very good.

Advertisement