Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home ins quote

• 01-05-2016 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi I am just hoping someone can help me with this query. My Partner (ex) and I co own a Semi D which we only held home insurance for the first 2 years after buying. Money got tight and that was the first thing to go. My ex is now not here as much as he has new girlfriend so we have agreed as the house is empty during the day more we need home insurance. My question is that some companies ask how many years have you held insurance and been claim free? (AXA) and others just ask how many years are you claim free? (123.ie)
    My worry is that by saying I am 6 years claim free to 123.ie I feel I am not answering the question properly. Does Home insurance build no claims discount like motor insurance?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

bertsmom wrote: »
    Hi I am just hoping someone can help me with this query. My Partner (ex) and I co own a Semi D which we only held home insurance for the first 2 years after buying. Money got tight and that was the first thing to go. My ex is now not here as much as he has new girlfriend so we have agreed as the house is empty during the day more we need home insurance. My question is that some companies ask how many years have you held insurance and been claim free? (AXA) and others just ask how many years are you claim free? (123.ie)
    My worry is that by saying I am 6 years claim free to 123.ie I feel I am not answering the question properly. Does Home insurance build no claims discount like motor insurance?
    Many thanks

You are going to have difficulty getting insurance tbh.

Having the house uninsured for a couple of years is a big issue for many insurers.

When was it last insured?

You are obliged to tell any company that is quoting you that the house has not been insured.

If you take a policy out without telling them you have been uninsured, then have to subsequently make a claim with them, they will request proof that you were claims free with your last insurer.

That will come back and there will be a gap between the old and new policy and your claim will be declined and they will cancel your policy for non disclosure / lying on your application.

All you can do is tell them the truth and hope they are sympathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Thanks for taking the time to help. I appreciate it. I got a very reasonable quote and they specifically asked if I had insurance previously so I could reply no. That's all I wanted really I just didn't want the company to just assume I had and then have the Insurance null and void if ever there was an issue.

Advertisement