Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzing PSU Since New GPU... Now Sparks!

Options
  • 01-05-2016 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭

Just turned off my PC after noticing a spark between chassis and side panel when reattaching the panel.

I have been experiencing a loud buzzing (beyond a mild coil whine, I suspect) from the PSU (a 750W Antec TruePower unit) when attempting to play some games. About a month ago the PC shut itself down when the PSU got rather loud while I was trying to diagnose the problem. This issue has only come to light since installing a Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 980 ti. Prior to this card I had been using a Sapphire AMD Radon HD 5850 for several years, without issue.

In order to troubleshoot the problem, I installed the 980 ti in an old P35, Q6600 system, which has a 10-year old 620W corsair PSU. I experienced some increase in noise from that PSU but nowhere to the same degree as with the 750W Antec.

I've already been in touch with Antec as I figured, since the PSU is where the noise is coming from, it implies some failing in their hardware which was only exposed when tested by a more power-hungry card. Antec requested I retest my system using the HD 5850. Which I did and found no issue with the system in that configuration. Antec is due to get back in touch with me in the coming days.

So, can anyone here venture a informed guess as to what component is likely at fault here. Or could it be caused by an unrelated factor?

Also, it may be wrong-headed of me but I'm thinking I should replace the 980 ti before booting up my system again. I say wrong-headed as I realise our may be the PSU that needs replacing... but that's more awkward a job.

Any advice or expertise would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fnz wrote: »
    Just turned off my PC after noticing a spark between chassis and side panel when reattaching the panel.

Your case isnt earthed. This is dangerous.

First thing is did you adapt a US/EU plug to a UK plug or use a kettle lead that doesnt have an earth (Plastic longest prong)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

ED E wrote: »
    Your case isnt earthed. This is dangerous.

First thing is did you adapt a US/EU plug to a UK plug or use a kettle lead that doesnt have an earth (Plastic longest prong)?

Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm using an adapter. I want to say the EU PSU lead came with the 3 to 2 prong adapter for EU to UK sockets. I ordered from pixmania and, iirc, the adapter was included in the order (though not in the PSU packaging itself). Have attached some images of the adapter to this post.

EDIT: only one image attached (the adapter internals) ... rest were too large.

That's an earthed type F (European) plug, but I cant see if the earth is making contact with the UK type. Its the bits on either "edge" of the EU plug, if one of them doesnt connect to the big prong then it not doing its job.

If you have a multimeter a continuity check will tell you. A friend may own one if you dont.

That's an earthed type F (European) plug, but I cant see if the earth is making contact with the UK type. Its the bits on either "edge" of the EU plug, if one of them doesnt connect to the big prong then it not doing its job.

If you have a multimeter a continuity check will tell you. A friend may own one if you dont.

I have no multimeter to check. But, if I understand you correctly, I can replace the PSU lead with a UK one from say my PS3 and that should earth the PC, making it safe to use?

Could doing this also resolve my buzzing PSU issue, or am I getting ahead of myself?

Yeah, there are different heads on some cables but anything like this is perfect.

31KyCUTgwoL.jpg

I'm no electrical engineer but I assume its feasible that if charge is building up in the case that it could also generate a buzz from one of the coils or caps.

• Advertisement

Yeah, there are different heads on some cables but anything like this is perfect.

31KyCUTgwoL.jpg

I'm no electrical engineer but I assume its feasible that if charge is building up in the case that it could also generate a buzz from one of the coils or caps.

Thanks, will swap the lead and see how I get on. :)

Swapped the power lead to a UK one (PS3 cable). Buzzing noise from PSU still present when in-game. Received static shocks from chassis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You'll always get some buzzing - I've a hiss in my headphones right now. That said does sound like you might want to try another PSU is you can.

Those fecking converters should be banned and proper plugs supplied. I had a go at Komplett back in the day over this. To be fair to them they eventually gave me a credit.

Forgot I had a video of the buzzing ready to share. Take a listen. I feel the volume is too loud to be dismissed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56CYtjUMOvpTVFLQjl6eVc1MmM/view?usp=drivesdk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Hard to determine if that would be something in the fan of PSU?
    And even if it is it wouldn't explain ESD. Personally I would be afraid to fry rest of the hardware.

• Advertisement
Advertisement