Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning to buy Ipad Air 2, safe time to buy?

Options
  • 01-05-2016 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Never one for owning an Apple product, I'm caving and will be buying an iPad Air 2. I've had various Android tablets and they all seem to come obsolete within 18 months as newer firmware makes them slower and slower to the point of madness.

I'll be looking into buying at the end of this month. Is there any like new lines or keynotes scheduled soon that might mean a new iPad on the horizon?

I don't want to buy then find a new one comes out shortly after, or the price drops due to a newer model.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Wouldn't bother, according to the latest figures, Apple's going bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

As per this link, the latest 9.7inch model is the new iPad Pro 9.7 (the iPad Pro now comes in 2 sizes). The iPad Air 2 is the previous model. So either go for the latest or if you don't want to pay that much get a refurbished air 2 from apple.com/ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As flyguy said, it would appear that Apple is phasing the Air out. The iPad Pro is the new Air. So if you want the latest model, get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As flyguy said, it would appear that Apple is phasing the Air out. The iPad Pro is the new Air. So if you want the latest model, get that.

Yeah not really interested in that, that pricing point is ridiculous.

Air 2 is fine pricewise and spec wise. Just wanted to check there wasn't like an Air 3 on the horizon or something.

In terms of the refurbs, they reliable? €100 saving but would rather buy new if it meant refurbs had scratches or potential issues. Whats peoples experience with buying refurbs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Apple refurbs are as good as new - I've bought refurb Macs and there's been no hassle. The iPad Air 2 is a great device alright and very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

TheDoc wrote: »

Air 2 is fine pricewise and spec wise. Just wanted to check there wasn't like an Air 3 on the horizon or something.

In terms of the refurbs, they reliable? €100 saving but would rather buy new if it meant refurbs had scratches or potential issues. Whats peoples experience with buying refurbs?

I purchased apple refurbs in the past and they were as new. They may be in a plain box but otherwise as new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's unlikely, but you never know. The assumption at the moment is that it is being phased out and last-gen models of the Pro will eventually take its place. If they do come out with a new Air in the next 6 months it will be a higher price, probably 550-600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Refurbs are like new, if there is only a minor mark on it apple replace the entire housing/screen. Some refurbs are just new returned iPads where buyer changed their mind. It comes with warranty (12 months I think) so that should cover you if any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I bought a iPad air about 6 months back, and i can't fault the device i love it.

I have even started bringing it into college, instead of my laptop, as its that good, and light.

• Advertisement
Advertisement