Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you friends with your boss?

• 01-05-2016 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭

I was chatting to a friend recently and he said he plays 5 a side soccer with his boss regularly, and another friend who says she is Facebook friends with her supervisor and I have to say I find that quite surprising. Nothing wrong with being on good terms with your boss and obviously not many people go on the session with their supervisor but are you close to your boss or engage in any sports/drinks/events etc with them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Yep, used to go on a good few nights out with my supervisors & bosses in the past. Had great times, ended up on rounds of shorts on my first night out with them.

Have since moved teams & reporting lines are now into a different location, so not as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Yes, close friends. It works for me but obviously not everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

We are neither friends nor enemies!
    Professional relationship. I would say I only have 3 or 4 friends in work but I would consider them extremely good friends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I would say friends, not close or anything but it is casual work anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I don't go square dancing with her, but we would be on good terms...would have gone out once or twice as part of a work group etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I am my own boss today.... but some years ago, a friend of mine was my boss, and it was a bit awkward to say the least. We had been friends for years but when we started working together he put the boss hat firmly on, and generally it was a purely work relationship until 5pm... then we went drinking together..... even if he had to give out to me earlier in the day. It was a bizarre experience.

We are still good friends today.

My last boss was like another Dad to me and we're great friends. He retired a few months ago and I dreaded him leaving. He and his wife were great friends to me. I've stayed with them many times and love them both. They've even stayed with my parents.

I didn't think I'd be as lucky again with another boss, but my new boss is another gem. We have a laugh every day and he leaves me to do my job with minimal interference while always being there to guide and help me. He's a great guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

My former boss thought it ok to ring me any time day or night, weekends holidays etc etc....

Yet, if you even as much as asked him had he any plans for the weekend, he was offended at such a blatant invasion of privacy...

No we weren't pals...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

I ride my boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

I get on grand with my supervisor,I generally try and get on with everyone at work but not get to friendly either. I have a rule,I'm friends with no one on Facebook from work (250 employees ),it's worked fine for me over the last decade.I keep the work nights out to a minimum too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

I ride my boss.

Hope you got a rise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I always had/have great professional and personal relationships with anyone I've ever worked for. I still keep in touch with a few of them and we meet up sometimes for lunch or whatever. I still maintain good personal and professional relationships with people who worked for me too. It's important IMO to maintain a good support network and look out for each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I ride my boss.

You're self-employed, aren't you? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

My boss is like a second mother. I worked for her for 8 years so far. I work from her house doing food preparation & desserts etc. I get greeted with a big hug, we sit down, have a coffee and catch up for about twenty minutes before we start work. She is so lovely and I got to know all her family very well over the years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

You're self-employed, aren't you? :D

On the ball my tool is so big I ride myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

No and wouldn't like to be either. I definitely feel the need to separate work from actual life which extends to colleagues too. At times I felt they were becoming a little too comfortable about certain topics of discussion which caused me to back away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'd be on very good terms with a lot of the people I work with simply because if I'm going to spend such a high percentage of my time with them, it's much easier when everyone is on good terms. But I agree with the "no current work colleagues on Facebook" just to be safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Luckily enough I get on great with my Boss. I work in a bar and if its an exceptionally busy night there is always a bonus in my wages as well as "an auld pint"
    Recently there was a bereavement in the family and taking time off was no problem with pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

After a particularly long day this week my boss took me out for tequila shots. She's a lovely lady who really cares about her employees. Granted there's only like 5 of us, but it makes the world of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Boss is also known to me as Dad.

Family business. We're very tight, I admire him a lot. He's a good guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I ride my boss.
    Do you ride him sidewaywards? That was another one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Which boss?

The nice one or the psychopath?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

Not friends but I want to smell, lick and ride her beautiful english bum.

The end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

If it wasn't for the fact that my boss is my friend, he wouldn't be my boss at all. He knew what I did, and when my company laid off ten percent of the global workforce, he knew his family firm needed someone with my skills. I had just had a job offer withdrawn for spurious reasons (everyone thinks it was because I had to renew my "spouse of an Irish citizen" residency in a few months) and he stretched his budget to give me enough to live on. If we get certified in a new software package I'm training myself in now, we hope to pay me something like a market salary. But he was there for me, and I'm there for him, and for the time being we're both pulling together as much as we can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Save your hate for someone who does not care
    They will not see when you send up that flare
    Keep all of those things at arm's length
    Whatever you do, save your strength

tl/dr The old boss you meet is not the new boss you greet

mtl/dr Boss yourself. Around. Don't be that hound.

© Me

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I wouldn't call her my friend but we get in well while at work but there is zero contact outside work. I sometimes answer my phone if she rings outside office hours but most times I don't answer calls or texts (unless the text is urgent or very important)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I thought I got on great with my old boss. I know all her family and get on with them. She's in her sixties and when her elderly parents got sick and ended up in hospital last year I picked up the slack no questions asked. I left for the summer and when I came back in Autumn they fired me because my Aunt died and I would need two days off to go to the funeral in London. I learned a very harsh lesson - some people seem nice but are actually C U Next Tuesdays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Only had one boss I was "friends" with. But if I'm being totally honest, she was the least competent of the bosses I've had...

Nice person though! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nice person though! :)

Benefits can come back and bite you... :eek: :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Started a new job this year and my boss is someone I've been friends with for 10+ years. He helped me get into the company and I was able to leave a role I hated for a role I had been trying to get for years, so I owe him a lot. He treats me great, but even if he treated me like crap, I wouldn't care cos still owe him big time.

I'd definitely consider my boss a friend and have often been on the pis* with him. Infact I got to know him from talking to him when out on the beer in the first place (and hence how I asked him for a job).
    Pac1Man wrote: »
    No and wouldn't like to be either. I definitely feel the need to separate work from actual life which extends to colleagues too. At times I felt they were becoming a little too comfortable about certain topics of discussion which caused me to back away.

I'm the opposite my main group of friends in the area I live at the moment are the people I work with. It's brilliant craic at work because of this, working with some of my best friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I've made a wax efigy of mine and I regularly come home remove arms and legs or stick pins in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Nope, Hate the ****.

Doesn't have a clue about how to run the department, No knowledge at all about anything, No people skills, If you need help you cant go to him as he has no clue.

In the time i've been there the amount of complaints against him are unreal but yet he's still there.

Gave him a chance at the start but he was Lazy, Never helped or even wanted to learn the goings on.

Always gets all his answers from the the team then runs upstairs and said ah yes this is what you do and takes all the credit.

Always YOU YOU YOU, When in reality it should be WE WE WE

Only see him doing something when there is an audit on and he knows the managers will be on the floor.

Complete Fraud

Threaten to punch his head in everyday if he doesn't get the **** away from me. I Have to say this to the mans face.

Horrible man and horrible toxic environment.

So i say No :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I am my own boss today.... but some years ago, a friend of mine was my boss, and it was a bit awkward to say the least. We had been friends for years but when we started working together he put the boss hat firmly on, and generally it was a purely work relationship until 5pm... then we went drinking together..... even if he had to give out to me earlier in the day. It was a bizarre experience.

We are still good friends today.

Fair play to you both though, that's not an easy position to handle. Even more so for your mate really, having to professionally smack someone who's a good friend is a pretty rotten feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I get in well with my boss but it's very much a professional relationship. She's excellent at what she does and a very nice person, I'd like to ask her to mentor me (isn't that the latest thing?) but don't know how to go about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Samaris wrote: »
    Fair play to you both though, that's not an easy position to handle. Even more so for your mate really, having to professionally smack someone who's a good friend is a pretty rotten feeling.

Not super fun to be on the receiving end, either :) My boss and I get frustrated with each other, because he's not a good trainer and I need training, and it makes me crazy when he expects me to do something I'm not trained for, or when I make a mistake because I'm trying to do it anyway, and he is in a bad mood and blames it on me. But about half the time I actually do the thing properly despite not having training, because I am super good at being self-sufficient and looking up resources, and the other half the time, he's really frustrated at something that isn't actually me. Since the other owner of the company is his sister and also my friend, she acts as a buffer and everything works out fine because we are all middle-aged professionals who don't take things personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I don't have a boss any more, but any time that I did, the first inclination that the relationship between me and the boss was anything less than amicable, I was straight out the door. Life's too short for that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No. I really dislike my boss. I think he is bad at his job and also a very cold, robotic person who lacks social skills - a significant flaw in our line of work. I have a second, less senior, boss who is a nice person but we aren't friends. I think he has a hard time having to work closely with the main boss and is left to bear the brunt of the problems caused by him. I like to get on well with colleagues and bosses but I'm not interested in being friends.

• Advertisement
Advertisement