Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dreams and time

• 01-05-2016 11:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just an idea I had recently, it often seems to me that dreams reach their best part just when something seems to happen which wakes you up and disturbs the dream, like an alarm clock or phone going off. But for this not to just be a coincidence, and it certainly seems to happen often enough to not be coincidence, this would suggest that the brain hears the alarm and then creates the dream and runs it through in the fraction of a second it takes for you to wake up, not to mention that the brain is setting you up for a fail..

But isn't it amazing that the you are capable of experiencing such thoughts at a much faster speed than if you were conscious? The flip side is that iirc, REM can last for much longer periods of time, so either we don't remember most of our dreams, or/and they must pass at a much slower rate..

Thoughts? (conscious ones preferably)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

I think it's that waking up in the middle of a dream allows you to remember it. I dream a lot, but rarely would I remember the details of a dream unless I woke (even kinda) up at some point. But sometimes I'd see or hear something during the day that makes me remember parts of a dream that I had already forgotten.

I think it's fascinating. We live a whole other life while we're sleeping and don't even realise it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Xaracatz wrote: »
    I think it's that waking up in the middle of a dream allows you to remember it. I dream a lot, but rarely would I remember the details of a dream unless I woke (even kinda) up at some point. But sometimes I'd see or hear something during the day that makes me remember parts of a dream that I had already forgotten.

I think it's fascinating. We live a whole other life while we're sleeping and don't even realise it.

Are you waking up in the middle of the dream though? How often do you have a dream where you actually get the girl and it has a satisfying conclusion :pac: Seems to me you are waking up at the end, which is scripted to disappoint you

I think the strength of my dreams depends on my sleeping pattern, which seems to be out of step at the moment and resulting in very vivid dreams every night, but on the plus side no sleep paralysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

Read This. Be amazed.

These days ~ since I'm able to get up when I choose ~ I'll most often peer at the clock. Decide I have another hour before I should be off my back. I'll say: " Dogs; Leave me alone and don't dig me up. I want my dream sleep. "

Then, I'll roll over. Pass out. And it's like slipping a DVD in! Away I go. Glorious technicolour. Hour or so later? I awake again and get up. Satisfied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

Xaracatz wrote: »

Yep :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I kept a dream diary beside my bed for a few years... If I woke up suddenly from a dream I would write it all down. Now when I read back over the dreams, I remember them vividly, but there are many dreams I have had since, which I have totally forgotten.

There is an exercise we can do, I once read, which allows us to control our dreams. It involves staring at our hands for a minute before we go to sleep... this is called Lucid Dreaming (I think).

I think when we experience the sudden waking up at the sound of an alarm, in the middle of a good dream... it is a similar experience to where your life flashes in front of you when faced with mortal danger. This is because of our instinct for survival... our mind uses a mechanism where it can re-run a sequence of traumatic events in our lives, in the hope that an escape from the impending doom can be found, based on our life's experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

You dreamed a dream in time gone by?

I am skeptical about lucid dreaming, if it is truly possible or just a part of the dream. When I have a sleep paralysis event nowadays during the dream I recognise that I am dreaming and not to be scared and just to shake myself awake.. but I'm not convinced if I am really thinking that or if it is just another part of the dream, because the dream always ends at this point and is the shaking caused by me or is it part of the event process and my mind is inventing a reason for it.

wil wrote: »
    You dreamed a dream in time gone by?
    That love would never die?

I am skeptical about lucid dreaming, if it is truly possible or just a part of the dream. When I have a sleep paralysis event nowadays during the dream I recognise that I am dreaming and not to be scared and just to shake myself awake.. but I'm not convinced if I am really thinking that or if it is just another part of the dream, because the dream always ends at this point and is the shaking caused by me or is it part of the event process and my mind is inventing a reason for it.

have you a reoccurring dream? Are you aware of physical shaking when you are dreaming?

have you a reoccurring dream? Are you aware of physical shaking when you are dreaming?
    Are you familiar with sleep paralysis? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis it's when you think you have woken up and there is something else in the room with you, but you can't turn around to see what it is. I think it's caused by light or noise signals being received by your brain while you are still dreaming, it would explain most of the times when it happens to me I think. In the dream, shaking is how I always force myself to wake up before anything bad can happen. I wonder though if the shaking is the cause or a symptom of waking up

• Advertisement

Are you familiar with sleep paralysis? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis it's when you think you have woken up and there is something else in the room with you, but you can't turn around to see what it is. I think it's caused by light or noise signals being received by your brain while you are still dreaming, it would explain most of the times when it happens to me I think. In the dream, shaking is how I always force myself to wake up before anything bad can happen. I wonder though if the shaking is the cause or a symptom of waking up

if this has been going on for a while, to be honest I would have it checked out... I am familiar with sleep paralysis, I have never suffered from it but I know people who have. I am sure you know that there could be some deeper psychological issue which causes this.

Have you considered hypnosis regression therapy?

if this has been going on for a while, to be honest I would have it checked out... I am familiar with sleep paralysis, I have never suffered from it but I know people who have. I am sure you know that there could be some deeper psychological issue which causes this.

Have you considered hypnosis regression therapy?
    Well once I found out it was a thing and read about it, I've noticed it is heavily correlated with noise and light signals, for example I never get it in winter or autumn time when it is darker in the mornings, it's usually spring/ early summer when the light is increasing. It also seems to depend where I live, my main apartment is on the ground floor so people going around outside in the morning making noise can sometimes trigger it too, but since I started wearing earplugs every night it's become a lot rarer

Advertisement