Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you cry?

• 01-05-2016 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

As above.

I used to cry a lot when I was younger but something happened in my teens and I haven't cried since. Don't get me wrong, I think crying is good and I don't get uncomfortable when people cry. However, if I feel like I'm about to tear up, I instinctively wipe it away and block myself from crying. I've had many rough days but I just help but stop myself from crying.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very rarely. I don't fight it, it just very rarely happens. Would I fight it? Generally no, but depends on the situation and frequency. If I was crying on the regular, like every day, I'd be hotfooting it to a shrink to get checked out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Crying gives you cancer, man, everyone knows that.

More seriously, like the OP, I remember something major happening when I was around 13 and somehow getting it into my head that what was important above all,if I was to be a man, was to "be strong". Spent the next thirty-odd years learning that you don't actually have to never, never let anyone know that you're not all right. I have to say, I find young guys at least are a lot more sensible about this than my generation were raised to be, and not afraid to express their emotions.

Pack of cry babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Funerals of people I knew.

Serious physical injury, if still conscious.

Lemon juice in the eye? Fuppin' right I'll discharge copious amounts of liquid from there.

Cutting onions (non-Spanish) in free air (i.e. not underwater) - deffo.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

peckerhead wrote: »
    Pack of cry babies.
    :D I think it's healthy to have that emotional release and men did most surely suffer from the stiff upper lip thing in the past. So long - IMHO of course - as we don't go the other extreme where we're kicking off like newborns at the drop of a hat for no good reason. That's equally tiresome.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    :D I think it's healthy to have that emotional release and men did most surely suffer from the stiff upper lip thing in the past. So long - IMHO of course - as we don't go the other extreme where we're kicking off like newborns at the drop of a hat for no good reason. That's equally tiresome.

Everyone deserves a nappy change. With Sudocreme (wish I had invented that). Burping too, and access to the loo. Food = good; goo OK.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I think a man can cry but he shouldn't openly talk about it. I remember when Ray D'Arcy used to be on Today FM and some mornings he would come on and talk about how he had a good old bawl at some ad he saw on TV the night before. This would kick off a few texts to him that basically went along the lines of "I'm a 40 year old hairy biker and rugby player, you don't get manlier than me but yet I blubbered at the same ad meself". I wouldn't be the type that would cry at a movie or TV ad but I wouldn't ridicule any guy that was - provided that he kept it to himself. I would ridicule him for talking about it, not the act of crying in itself.
    It's ok to admit to crying after 2 events, imo - the death of a close family member (I would even stretch that to the death of a beloved pet) or the birth of your child. If anything else makes you cry, weep away but keep it to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Women also tough it out if they have to. I've known other women who would refuse to cry because they didn't want to be labeled as "emotional" and "girly", especially and particularly those who worked in STEM fields, in IT, in the building trades, in the police, and so forth. And they wouldn't cry when away from work, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

When people I was close to died would be the only time I cried as an adult.

Never seen the brother cry even as kids and we are both in our 40s now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Yeah, I cry. It's not a regular thing or a 'when the situation merits/demands it' situation but it can happen.

I don't think that crying is the solution to every emotional problem. A lot of psychobabblists would have us believe that unless you freely and fearlessly weep and sob (over the beauty in the world or because someone wasn't nice to you as a child), you are not a real and full human-being but that's nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

yes i do. albeit rarely. did feel a bit of emotional relief afterwards

all men are different but wanting to cry and repressing it because of social stigma cant be healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

almost cried listening to Bocelli singing at the Leicester game and have no idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Yep.

My wife and I lost a baby last September which was the single most horrendous thing I've ever gone through, I've never experienced grief like it.

I cried on the day of our wedding too. It was weird but standing at the top of the altar waiting for her, the doors closed, the music started, I just got choked up. I'm sure though it had something to do with the 10 pints of stout I had the night before!

I have no issue with crying, and no issue with men crying. Sometimes you need to just let out what you are holding in, I find it extremely cathartic.

I think if men were able to cry or it was more socially acceptable the world would be a better place and we wouldnt be losing our brethren in epidemic numbers to suicide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's funny, the right song at the right time (most memorably Massive Attack playing Teardrop whilst I was as high at Electric Picnic) or the right piece of film (the "we will not quietly speech from Independence Day" can make me well up quite easily but I'm not really one for weeping when something goes wrong. I can't remember the last time I cried and, if I'm totally honest, I'm fairly impatient with others doing it either. I have no problem with someone crying at a funeral, the news that their dog has to be put down etc. but in the vast majority of cases I'd see it as a self-indulgent way of getting your face wet and generally respect those who cry about minor problems less than those who just get on with looking for solutions to those problems.

I hate the whole feminist narrative about how there's something wrong with men that don't cry because in the main, it would apply to me and imho, my means of coping with problems (finding solutions to them, formulating a plan B or just gritting my teeth and getting on with whatever needs to be done) is more useful to those around me than theirs is.

Sleepy wrote: »
    It's funny, the right song at the right time (most memorably Massive Attack playing Teardrop whilst I was as high at Electric Picnic) or the right piece of film (the "we will not quietly speech from Independence Day" can make me well up quite easily but I'm not really one for weeping when something goes wrong. I can't remember the last time I cried and, if I'm totally honest, I'm fairly impatient with others doing it either. I have no problem with someone crying at a funeral, the news that their dog has to be put down etc. but in the vast majority of cases I'd see it as a self-indulgent way of getting your face wet and generally respect those who cry about minor problems less than those who just get on with looking for solutions to those problems.

I hate the whole feminist narrative about how there's something wrong with men that don't cry because in the main, it would apply to me and imho, my means of coping with problems (finding solutions to them, formulating a plan B or just gritting my teeth and getting on with whatever needs to be done) is more useful to those around me than theirs is.

Bit contradictory? :)

Not your ornery onager

How so? I have no problems with people crying when something serious happens. It's an emotional release and that helps some people which is fine when there's nothing that can be done about a situation e.g. a death.

It's when there's something productive that someone can be doing but they'd rather indulge their self-pity with "a good cry" that I lose patience for it. It's probably just the way I'm wired but even in the darkest hours, I can always seem to find something productive to do, whether that's formulating a plan B or, in the case of the death of a friend's loved one, simply putting on the kettle or sourcing a particular type of flowers for the funeral etc.

Song and film segment.

Not your ornery onager

I suppose my point there was that I'm not immune to the physical response to stimuli that can make one cry. When it happens, it's nothing I feel ashamed about, a few tears roll down my cheeks and that's about it, there's no streaming nose, wailing or rocking back and forth in the foetal position.

I understand the sensation of having your body being overwhelmed by something and responding to it with tears. What I don't get is the self-indulgence to break down and ball when there are, if not even solutions to problems to be found, things that can be, or need to be, done.

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Legal Action

Haven't cried since I was about 10 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I am terrible for crying everything's gets me even xfactor
    Cried reading a couple of posts here
    But what gets me more than anything is speeches of any sort wedding or even sport winning captain speeches
    National anthem in croke park usually brings a tear
    Kop singing you'll never walk alone
    Daughter is making her communion Saturday tissues ready
    I seriously need to man up (to stop ruining my mascara 😜)

Advertisement