Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a cat flap

• 01-05-2016 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

Hi, I need a cat flap from a bully neighbours Tom, my cats are microchipped.
    I've been looking on Amazon and there's a big selection of them, but the reviews are hot and cold on most.
    Can anyone help with your experiences of cat flaps.
    I'll be building it into the wall.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I got this one and its been fantastic:
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_flaps_nets/microchip_cat_flaps/335356

I got the Pet Door version as Puss is a bit rotund and I wasnt sure if she would fit but actually I could easily have gotten the Cat Flap version - there is plenty of room and they can squirm out pretty skinny when they want!

Its possible to lock this so she cant get out - although this confuses her a lot so I put something in front of it instead most of the time if I need her to stay in. I have locked it and not put something in front of it but she head bangs it like mad so....

Other cats cant get in, and in fact, cant even figure out how she gets in. Ive seen other cats investigating it for ages but they dont know how she is going through.

Took a little while for her to not be scared of the "click" of the latch but she was grand once she got going.

To train her in we left it taped open while we were at home for as few days and when we saw her approach the door we went to the opening and encouraged her through with treats. We gradually lengthened the tape so she had to push it with her head a bit to get the idea.

The batteries run out about once a year, easy to replace - there is an indicator on it that shows you so you dont get caught short.

One disadvantage is that due to the design it doesnt require a microchip read for exit, so it can be pulled out a bit by a breeze and let a draught in. It doesnt really bother us as its in a panel next to the front door in a hallway and we have a draught excluder on the other door into the sitting room.

As we put it by the front door we put a large potted plant in the way so casual observers dont see it. I cant see an issue with security - I replaced a glass panel with a wooden panel and put the cat flap into it - the single pane glass was probably riskier.

We had to put a step up on the outside so Puss had a level crossing through it - we used an upside down long flat plant pot for this. Otherwise she would have had to jump up to get in and we werent sure itd work.

You can buy extenders for if its being installed in a wall. I bought an extender but it wasnt necessary.

We put another non chipped cat flap in an internal door so she comes through the front door then through the door into the sitting room herself.

She absolutely loves it. Comes through like a cannonball if she sees a dog or cat she doesnt like.

We've had it 2 years now and I clean it every so often (it gets remarkably hairy and the glass gets dirty from her wet nose :)) - she likes to sit by it looking out sometimes before deciding to go out.

Thats my experience, I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Thank you for the informative post, I ordered the SureFlap Microchip Pet Door through amazon last week but its only after been marked dispatched today, I'm building it into a cavity wall so i had to buy 5 extenders which are so expensive for what they are. When I add up everything its gonna cost me the bones of 200 euros because I have 2 cats that haven't been micro-chipped yet.
    It will be worth it though I hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Hope it all works out for you, it was a wonderful moment for us the first time we went into the sitting and there she was sitting looking at us having let herself in.

Advertisement