Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with my landlord

Options
  • 01-05-2016 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Ive had a leak in the roof of the apartment the girlfriend and I are renting. I have said this to the landlord about 3 months ago when I first noticed the patch on the ceiling He said he would get someone out to look at it. I have asked him a number of times over the past few months about it again and he keeps saying someone is coming to look at it. I have a child due in the next week and I told him I would like to get the work done before the baby arrives but it doesnt seem to bother him..
    any advice on what I could do? I would love to move but there isnt anywhere else near that I we can afford at the minute

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I would send a registered letter or email asking that it be fixed in x amount of time (2 weeks). State that if it is not done by then you will pay for it to be done yourself. Keep the receipt and ask that it be reimbursed.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Micky8728

Yeah be worth a try. Been asking him aswell to sort the windows out. Our velux windows are going all moldy and rotting away. Being asking over a year to get something done with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Gator88

Micky8728 wrote: »
    Ive had a leak in the roof of the apartment the girlfriend and I are renting. I have said this to the landlord about 3 months ago when I first noticed the patch on the ceiling He said he would get someone out to look at it. I have asked him a number of times over the past few months about it again and he keeps saying someone is coming to look at it. I have a child due in the next week and I told him I would like to get the work done before the baby arrives but it doesnt seem to bother him..
    any advice on what I could do? I would love to move but there isnt anywhere else near that I we can afford at the minute

This is happening more and more. There's a lot of selfish landlords out there, a few of my own friends are included in that. A good landlord looks after his rented property as well as he would his own home. I'm not saying that you have to have state of the art stuff in in but something like this I would have repaired in my own home within a week or 2. Id have it looked at straight away and repaired within weeks. Sooner if it was actually leaking. Rental property should be looked after just as promptly.

I'm sorry I've no advice for you except to move on as soon as you can. There are good landlords out there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

One thing I can suggest is that if the landlord is not the owner of the building and there is a management company in place is to send a letter to the management company stating there is a leak somewhere in the building impacting your apartment, and you have already contacted your landlord without remedy. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

OP I'm afraid there's a reason there's nothing in the area at the current rate and you're LL is charging you less, he's probably on a downward spiral with the place. Your only option is to get out of dodge I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Micky8728

Yes the landlord owns the property.. will have to stick it out for another few months until baby is settled... Just annoys me that I cant get anything done. I pay my rent on time each month and take care of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Micky8728 wrote: »
    Ive had a leak in the roof of the apartment the girlfriend and I are renting.
    Are you on the top floor, and if so, do you have any access to the roof? Also, is there any swelling where the water comes in?

Advertisement