Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable Speaker for Running Crew Music Recommendation

Options
  • 02-05-2016 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Been in running crews in London a few times where the "lead" runner carried a portable bluetooth speaker on a backpack or harness (and one guy who held it) to bump out some beats for the runners that followed. Unless there was a ton of traffic around it works well.

I didn't get the details of the speaker used, but I eyeballing them I think they were Ultimate Ears (UE) jobs (the speakers, not the runners).

So... Any recommendations on a portable Bluetooth (don't want cables) speaker to do the same? Bit worried about BTs connection-holding capability, but didn't witness any problems on the runs I was on...

This is the kinda thing:

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/HJ9V2ZM/A/ultimate-ears-ue-boom-2-wireless-speaker?fnode=7a&fs=f%3Dheadphone-speaker%26fh%3D4597%252B464a%252B45f6

Big question of course is the robustness of these things while being jogged about or dealing with moisture (it has been know to rain in Ireland, sweat occasionally encountered at times).

Thanks

(No idea about noise abatement or copyright laws, but they were free urban runs so doubt anyone cares)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

uvox wrote: »
    Been in running crews in London a few times where the "lead" runner carried a portable bluetooth speaker on a backpack or harness (and one guy who held it) to bump out some beats for the runners that followed. Unless there was a ton of traffic around it works well.

I didn't get the details of the speaker used, but I eyeballing them I think they were Ultimate Ears (UE) jobs (the speakers, not the runners).

So... Any recommendations on a portable Bluetooth (don't want cables) speaker to do the same? Bit worried about BTs connection-holding capability, but didn't witness any problems on the runs I was on...

This is the kinda thing:

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/HJ9V2ZM/A/ultimate-ears-ue-boom-2-wireless-speaker?fnode=7a&fs=f%3Dheadphone-speaker%26fh%3D4597%252B464a%252B45f6

Big question of course is the robustness of these things while being jogged about or dealing with moisture (it has been know to rain in Ireland, sweat occasionally encountered at times).

Thanks

(No idea about noise abatement or copyright laws, but they were free urban runs so doubt anyone cares)

If you were running near me with these I'd be wishing all kinds of rain & hail down on you - complete noise pollution & incredibly inconsiderate. But I guess that's the kind of reaction you were looking for really isn't it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

This is the kinda thing:

Thanks

You clearly have way more knowledge about all this tech stuff than others on this forum. What's the point of these threads? To tell us all about the gadgets you use? I fail to see how anybody here can help you more than Google anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Bit worried about BTs connection-holding capability,
    Not an issue as long the person with the phone is also the one with the speaker

I have one of these and it's a really good speaker with excellent bass response.

As an aside, people carrying portable speakers around in public with music blaring is a personal irritant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Thanks good thoughts. I agree the sound pollution/irritant is something to watch. Not planning on using it on any route, confines or at a time that *might* cause offence (docklands).
    You're right - we need to respect others and share the road (or paths in this case).
    Didn't encounter any issues in London like this, btw.

• Advertisement

No, it doesn't. I asked for recommendations.

kit3 wrote: »
    If you were running near me ...

Unlikely with my kind of performance. But you can dream. Good luck in your next 5K #haterzgonnahate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I have a UE Miniboom that I'm pretty happy with as a Bluetooth speaker that I can take anywhere, though I have yet to take it for a run. It's pretty light, has good battery life, sound can fill a room and can easily fit in a pocket. I bought it a couple of years ago as it was The Wirecutter's choice for a portable Bluetooth speaker, though I see they've since updated their recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Unlikely with my kind of performance. But you can dream. Good luck in your next 5K #haterzgonnahate

Now you've lost me ? Maybe you could explain your post - are you telling me that you are faster or slower than me - I'm not bothered either way. My comment above was about noise pollution. For the record, I've never run a 5K ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

You have some serious #hate for 5K's!

• Advertisement

No, it doesn't. I asked for recommendations.

And none of those sites have review pages?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    You have some serious #hate for 5K's!

Imagine what he thinks of 400m races:D

Advertisement