Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying car

• 02-05-2016 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

hi,
    i will hopefully be working in scotland soon. I need a car for work. Just wondering would it be cheaper for me to buy a car in northern ireland (I am living in monaghan) or to buy a car a in scotland? Naturally, it would be handy to buy a car in the north but just wondering will it be cheaper and if so, is there any other charges for bringing it to scotland and driving it there?

thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Personally I'd buy in Scotland, would make it easier to resell.
    I think there's some sort of issue with Northern Irish reg cars, probably a question better suited for the motor forum.

By the way you're heading the wrong way if you're Canada bound ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Having worked with colleagues from Northern Ireland living here in Scotland I'll say buy your car in Scotland. According to them theres a much greater selection of used cars from a variety of dealers at much more competitive prices. Many have actually sourced cars in Scotland to bring back to NI for family members.

Also, how would you propose registering, insuring and taxing your UK registered car while you're living in Monaghan as you'll need your Scottish address (I'm presuming you don't already have a place to stay arrange so disregard this comment if you do know your future address) for all of that? There would be no other charges to bring it to Scotland and to drive it here other than the ferry if you did get a NI car.

Advertisement