Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on the Carlow GAA jersey?

Options
  • 02-05-2016 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I've always found that GAA jerseys and their bright, blocky colours to be slightly gaudy. Though in recent years they've improved hugely in my opinion. However, one that I feel hasn't modernised too well is the Carlow jersey. It's memorable, yes. But red, yellow and green are very difficult colours to work with.
    I'd like to put forward some points/possible improvements and to hear some opinions on the matter. Maybe I'm the only who sees it as a rather garish garment and I know it's not exactly an imperative matter, but I'd still like to hear some thoughts on the jersey (and others) nonetheless.

- The colours; they're too bright and gaudy. They have to be retained of course as they're synonymous with the Dolmen County. But I think they can be altered to create a more classy, stylish look. One suggestion would be to darken the green, make the yellow more golden but keep the red bright.

- The distribution of colour; three equally bright colours given equal prominence on the jersey just wont work. There needs to be one/two main colours with one/two secondary colours; NOT three main colours.

- The design; the three banded design is outdated for the time being in my opinion - and I don't think it works well at all with three bright, distinct colours. This year's jersey actually doesn't have this layout, which is good; however there are nicer layouts in the O'Neills' range that would be more suited to three colours AND that can retain somewhat that three banded layout. It would also be nice to keep the traditional order of green on bottom, yellow in the middle and red on top.

- The sponsor; this is something that is often overlooked. Stone Development and Dan Morrissey are local, which is good. But plain, blocky black font does nothing to enhance a jersey's aesthetics. Tickets.ie was an improvement as it looks more professional, but the black/white scheme is too plain. I feel a local brand with a stylish logo that fits with the already crowded colour scheme is necessary and appropriate, e.g. O'Haras (a hugely successful local Craft Beer company).

- The 'trim' colours; by this I mean the fonts, numbers, crests, sponsors, shorts and other accents - basically anything other than the main colours. Given that there's already three bright colours being employed, only one colour should be used. White is always a safe option. Previously Carlow used both black and white which is unnecessary.

- The fit and collar; a tight fit and modern styled collar can also help.

I've attached an image of a design I made on the O'Neills site taking the above suggestions into account. Let me know what you think with wholehearted honesty! I think it's an improvement, but aesthetics are subjective after all!

tp2lahdwh

icreate_oneills.jpg

icreate_oneills.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Green is too dark. Makes it loom like a Mayo shirt with the red trim. I would choose a less fussy template as well.

I think using the red/yellow combo (unique in intercounty GAA) and green as an accent colour would be a better idea.

aayz42.png

2zqwgog.png

2ppeiaw.png

6gzwn7.png

---

I decided to use the Carlow town crest for the shiz because the Carlow GAA logo is a car crash.. Kept the sponsor as tickets.ie as that is their actual sponsor regardless of the colour clash with the logos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Green is too dark. Makes it loom like a Mayo shirt with the red trim. I would choose a less fussy template as well.

I think using the red/yellow combo (unique in intercounty GAA) and green as an accent colour would be a better idea.

aayz42.png

2zqwgog.png

2ppeiaw.png

6gzwn7.png

---

I decided to use the Carlow town crest for the shiz because the Carlow GAA logo is a car crash.. Kept the sponsor as tickets.ie as that is their actual sponsor regardless of the colour clash with the logos.

That is actually much much nicer than the green

Thanks. Just part of the many things I like to do to procrastinate. :)

I think Carlow need to keep red and yellow as a base in order to get a decent shirt going. Red and green are too ubiquitously Mayo (and gash). Green and yellow shirts are ten-a-penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

aayz42.png

2zqwgog.png

2ppeiaw.png

[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/6gzwn7.png[/IMG) T I Think the top os probably the best[/img]

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bonnies top one is great, the bottom one is good too

The OP's one...that khaki colour..no. If it was yellow then maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

aFXFv1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The old one was a classic.It has a sort of rastafarian/lollipop look to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's interesting there's no "opinions on the Carlow gaa teams" thread. I suppose if they just get the Jersey fixed, the rest will fall into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They haven't been using the three band colour scheme for the past couple of years. The jersies are predominantly red with a green and yellow trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭newg300

14968.jpg

Something along these lines is what I've always thought would be a nice way of present the colours, while maintaining the traditional look. O'Neill's even have a template along these lines at present, which could be easily used. I'd go with the below in red sleeves, yellow band and green lower, with none of the shading. And I'd love to see O'Hara's as the sponsor.

antrim-home-2015-1_1_1_1.jpg

• Advertisement

Something like this?

You're limited with that template for Antrim with colour positioning. The Derry template would suit better tbh.
    398910.png

Or we could go back to the classics with Offaly's current template?

398911.png

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Think your on to a winner with the red and yellow primary with the green accent. My offerings for the craic.
    carlow_jersey5.png
    carlow_jersey3.png
    carlow_jersey4.png
    carlow_jersey6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭newg300

Something like this?

You're limited with that template for Antrim with colour positioning. The Derry template would suit better tbh.
    398910.png

Or we could go back to the classics with Offaly's current template?

398911.png
    Sorry, I should have said red sleeves and upper, then a yellow band with the crest and GAA logo.

That top one you designed was very close to the first set that we got of this:carlow-2012-jersey-with-stripes-1_1-300x300.jpg

It had a green upper on the back like yours, with a yellow band. The footballers got rid of it, but the hurlers wore it for the year (along with a different colour crest). It just looked like a Kerry jersey with red sleeves to me. I'm still all for a tri-band jersey, but can compromise on the width of the bands. On their soccer side, you can put this together
    398999.png

Advertisement