Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pride Before The Fall.

• 02-05-2016 5:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

The Cold War ended with the break up of the the Soviet Union. This hurt Russia in many ways, it was the break up of their Empire.

On the 12th of August 2000 the Russian Navy nuclear submarine Kursch suffered a terrible accident during a war games session. Her 'Fat Lady' warhead Torpedo exploded inside of the sub and sent the craft to the bottom of the Barents Sea.

The blast killed the majority of the crew, 23 survived in the 3 stern compartments. The Russian Navy could not extract the surviving members of crew with their antiquated equipment. Both the US Navy and the British Navy had the ability to do so and both countries offered their services.

The Russians were initially too proud to accept help from western powers. They eventually cleared The Royal Navy to assist in the rescue op but by that time it was far too late.

Pride can be a killer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Death before dishonour. Stupid, but ship happens.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Be very careful, Leicester City.

Allinall wrote: »
    Be very careful, Leicester City.

Huh?

Of all the places I would have thought safe from maritime tragedy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Full steam ahead on the Titanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

The blast killed the majority of the crew, 23 survived in the 3 stern compartments.

Difficult to think of a worse death.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

The US couldn't even rescue thousands of people stranded on rooftops or floating face down in flood waters or lying in their own shit in a football stadium in New Orleans after a hurricane. What makes you think they could rescue a group of sailors on the bottom of the sea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Huh?

Of all the places I would have thought safe from maritime tragedy...

Global warming is real.... Leicester-on-sea is not as far away as you think....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Is this about Mufasa? I can't be dealing with that scene again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Ireland being held up as the greatest economy in Europe during the Celtic Tiger years. Forward a few years and the IMF ECB come in to bail us out and are taking over the reigns with toxic banks and bankers going on the run .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Apparently there is a Pride and Prejudice now, with zombies!

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Apparently there is a Pride and Prejudice now, with zombies!

Jane? That you?

Dafug with our sub? Have the relatives been informed/relocated?

Lunch in the club as per usual? Be grand.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

HensVassal wrote: »
    The US couldn't even rescue thousands of people stranded on rooftops or floating face down in flood waters or lying in their own shit in a football stadium in New Orleans after a hurricane. What makes you think they could rescue a group of sailors on the bottom of the sea?

Because they're both entirely different rescue situations?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Because they're both entirely different rescue situations?

Statement. Or question?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Rescuing sailors makes for better TV than rescuing people in New Orelans. That's the main reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Ireland being held up as the greatest economy in Europe during the Celtic Tiger years. Forward a few years and the IMF ECB come in to bail us out and are taking over the reigns with toxic banks and bankers going on the run .
    I distinctly remember having a conversation in 2006 with someone who insisted that Germany was obnoxiously conservative with its economy and that it was dragging down the rest of Europe.

I must remind them of that...

Anyway the reason the Russians refused assistance was not because of pride it was because they knew the US were using the whole episode as PR stunt. They (the US) couldn't have given a **** about the lives of the sailors. They knew that if if the Russians refused help then they looked bad and if the US did help then they could make the Russians look incompetent and the US look like really awesome dudes. Either way it was a cynical ploy for political posturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I had a manager named Gunther who was the epitome of false pride. He'd reached a senior position in the bank we worked in, not through hard work and talent, but rather through unbelievable self-belief and an arrogance that he thought was charming.

He'd spend most of his time running up massive expenses while entertaining his increasingly small group of clients. Buying bottles of wine that cost thousands of euros even though he was so drunk when doing so that he couldn't taste the difference between it and some supermarket swill. Guffawing in the clubhouse of golf clubs after yet again making a show of himself out on the course. Offering what he thought was valuable career advice to the younger generation when he was a relic of a different era. His pride was so off the scales that he even had a badly-painted portrait of himself and his red-faced family in his office.

Once, when drunk, he told me that I'd never reach a senior position in the banking industry in Germany because I spoke German with an accent like 'an Austrian pig farmer'. He then tried to hug me. It was then I knew that this pride monster had gotten out of control.

Only a few months later I was a member of a ninja squad created in the bank to carry out a root and branch review of the banks activities and organisational efficiencies in light of the downturn in the global economy. Gunther was identified as being surplus to requirements. I delivered the news to Gunther on a Friday afternoon after stepping into his office.

He started to gasp, gulp, clutch at his collar and wipe the sweat away from his forehead with a hanky.

"But, Aongus, what about my career? I'm too old to get another role! My houses, my children, my boat".

"I'm sorry, Gunther, but there is nothing we can do. You needn't use me as a reference either. Wouldn't want an Austrian pig farmer cramping your carefully crafted image now would we?"

I then patted him on the back and left his office.

I had a manager named Gunther who was the epitome of false pride. He'd reached a senior position in the bank we worked in, not through hard work and talent, but rather through unbelievable self-belief and an arrogance that he thought was charming.

He'd spend most of his time running up massive expenses while entertaining his increasingly small group of clients. Buying bottles of wine that cost thousands of euros even though he was so drunk when doing so that he couldn't taste the difference between it and some supermarket swill. Guffawing in the clubhouse of golf clubs after yet again making a show of himself out on the course. Offering what he thought was valuable career advice to the younger generation when he was a relic of a different era. His pride was so off the scales that he even had a badly-painted portrait of himself and his red-faced family in his office.

Once, when drunk, he told me that I'd never reach a senior position in the banking industry in Germany because I spoke German with an accent like 'an Austrian pig farmer'. He then tried to hug me. It was then I knew that this pride monster had gotten out of control.

Only a few months later I was a member of a ninja squad created in the bank to carry out a root and branch review of the banks activities and organisational efficiencies in light of the downturn in the global economy. Gunther was identified as being surplus to requirements. I delivered the news to Gunther on a Friday afternoon after stepping into his office.

He started to gasp, gulp, clutch at his collar and wipe the sweat away from his forehead with a hanky.

"But, Aongus, what about my career? I'm too old to get another role! My houses, my children, my boat".

"I'm sorry, Gunther, but there is nothing we can do. You needn't use me as a reference either. Wouldn't want an Austrian pig farmer cramping your carefully crafted image now would we?"

I thought it was virtually impossible to fire someone in Germany.

So, you evidently take pride in this...tell us about your fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I had a manager named Gunther who was the epitome of false pride....

Only a few months later I was a member of a ninja squad created in the bank....

When I first moved to Germany I worked in a small investment bank. My manager was a dreadfully annoying man called Berthold...

..Thankfully I moved up rapidly through the organisation and was part of a ‘ninja squad’

Berthold and his bunch of lairy old soaks were deemed surplus to requirements and were fired

And the ninja squad claimed it's second victim. RIP Berthold, RIP Gunther.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Didn't the Chinese do something similar when Matt Damon got himself stranded somewhere again?

And the ninja squad claimed it's second victim. RIP Berthold, RIP Gunther.

:pac:
    When I first moved to Germany I worked in a small investment bank. My manager was a dreadfully annoying man called Berthold. He was spectacularly incompetent, a very heavy drinker, and presumed that his seniority gave him an air of gravitas. It didn’t. He also had this disgusting habit of using his baby finger to poke around in his ear, before examining the nail for a fresh deposit of ear wax. He made my skin crawl.

Thankfully I moved up rapidly through the organisation and was part of a ‘ninja squad’ who were tasked with streamlining many of the bank’s activities during the financial crisis.

Berthold and his bunch of lairy old soaks were deemed surplus to requirements and were fired. I’m not a vindictive man, but the sight of Berthold gulping and wiping the sweat from his brow as he realised that his 35 year career as a banker was coming to an end came with a certain amount of personal satisfaction. And with it his flagrant abuse of company funds to pay for expensive dinners, golf course outings and Scotch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

Cool story bro.
    I read on journal.ie today that Disney sometimes hire Irish writers for children's cartoons. Ever considered it? I think you have what it takes.

:pac:

Many thanks for doing this for me.
    I knew I had heard this Walter Mitty/urban legend story before.
    The funny thing is, I have met many fantasist/traders/bankers over the years; after watching Rogue Trader and The Wolf Of Wall Street they get quite carried away.

In my 20 years working in 3 of the top firms, ninja squad etc; wasn't a term I ever heard used.

So, you evidently take pride in this...tell us about your fall.

I have a funny feeling he has yet to be given a chance to make one.
    I have this picture in my mind, of a Jobbridge intern at AIB, that has a fantasy after watching Wolf Of Wall Street. Sadly the reality is, he still lives at home with his mother; and is on the dole. I have said it before on here, but no real trader (successful or unsuccessful) would ever talk about it on a forum.
    Ninja squad in a German bank? Be serious. Its all fantasy talk, or in other words; b.ull****. Then more attention seeking with, I made a big mistake at my big banking/trading job, and had to leave/get fired etc.
    Classic fantasist behaviour.

Aongus Von Walter Mitty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

A lot of Walter Mitty types on Boards of late if you ask me.

Aongus, you never disappoint. It's like you're the German (employment) Terminator. Incompetent bon vivants everywhere must live in fear of your shadow.
    poa wrote: »
    Aongus Von Walter Mitty.

Says the man who had me in tears of laughter with his description of the orgasmic, sybaritic, sensory overload of a slice of banoffi pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Aongus speaks only truth. I was a member of his ninja squad...

We brought down many ghunters and dietmars, thorstens, Steffans and friedrichs... (Real names have been changed for legal purposes obviously)

These relics and dinosaurs of the past needed routing out, and that was our job. It was a dirty thankless job, but someone had to do it...

We made a lot of dangerous enemies. When you take a man's bread from his table... Things can often turn ugly.

This is why we needed high level martial arts training. Unfortunately violence was a weekly occurrence.

Many of these individuals had nothing left to lose... We had ripped their world apart. Tears gave way to violence in a blink of any eye!

But we weren't called ninjas for nothing! We were the best at what we did. ;)

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    Aongus, you never disappoint. It's like you're the German (employment) Terminator. Incompetent bon vivants everywhere must live in fear of your shadow.

Says the man who had me in tears of laughter with his description of the orgasmic, sybaritic, sensory overload of a slice of banoffi pie.

I have to confess, I had never heard the word sybaritic until today. I had to Google it to be honest with you. Great word, so many thanks for that.
    Its true what they say, one learns a new thing every day. I now know I am sybaritic. I can't deny I do have a weakness for banoffee pie; always have done. I find it's best served on breast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The Cold War ended with the break up of the the Soviet Union...

I don't think Vlad would agree.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement