Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio moss

Options
  • 02-05-2016 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Looking for some advice on cleaning a patio & wall

This stone was put down in 1995/96 and has never really be looked at since. In the last 10 year it hasn't really been used so there's a layer of moss growing on it, and the walls surrounding. I know I could probably power wash it off, but am afraid of damaging the cement holding it all together. Is there an easy fix to this, or do you think it needs to be cleaned and then repointed?

Edit:
    Can't post links yet. Walls are granite and the floor is paving stone.
    dropbox.com/s/7mwotmsrwuszvm6/Screenshot%202016-05-02%2010.12.35.png?dl=0
    dropbox.com/s/bxi59k6b7ve9aqs/Screenshot%202016-05-02%2010.14.58.png?dl=0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mwotmsrwuszvm6/Screenshot%202016-05-02%2010.12.35.png?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxi59k6b7ve9aqs/Screenshot%202016-05-02%2010.14.58.png?dl=0

the second one is a bit blurred and there does not seem a lot on it so are we looking at the same area in both shots?

What way does it face?
    I would leave the wall, it looks wonderful and unless u are sitting on it no harm done.
    Re the patio as it does present a slip/fall risk I would use a product called MMC Pro, at the specified dilution of 4 water to 1 of it and spray it on the patio.
    Some folk suggest removing the " heavy" stuff first, I don't, first spray will kill it back and make it easier to brush off and then go again for the deeper stuff.

Power-washing in such an enclosed area will only spread it..

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Sprinkle cheap Aldi or Lidl washing powder over the moss. It will kill it in a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Bigoldhouse

the second one is a bit blurred and there does not seem a lot on it so are we looking at the same area in both shots?

What way does it face?
    I would leave the wall, it looks wonderful and unless u are sitting on it no harm done.
    Re the patio as it does present a slip/fall risk I would use a product called MMC Pro, at the specified dilution of 4 water to 1 of it and spray it on the patio.
    Some folk suggest removing the " heavy" stuff first, I don't, first spray will kill it back and make it easier to brush off and then go again for the deeper stuff.

Power-washing in such an enclosed area will only spread it..

First pic is of it now, the second is a photo of a photo when it was originally done. Had them labeled in the original mail but had to edit the URLS.

It's south facing on the side of a mountain (mountain runs up behind it to north), Is there a best time of year to spray that stuff?

Better pic
    dropbox.com/s/kxp7kv7raiemqp7/Screenshot%202016-05-02%2012.21.22.png?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I use hard surface moss remover. Don't use any old Moss remover, such as grass moss remover, because it will stain your patio surface brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Nothing will make the moss disintegrate in a week or two, so some degree of labour will be required.
    You could powerwash it but turn down the pressure if you can; spray it with mosskiller/jeyes fluid/washing powder and brush/scrape it off in a week or so.
    If you choose a manual method, get a second pair of hands. It looks like a boring and head-wrecking job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement