Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase alcohol content?

Options
  • 02-05-2016 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭

Hi again folks, looking for advice please. I've had a munton's nut brown ale kit brewing for the last 2 weeks. Very robust fermenting for 2 days and went very quiet after that. The final abv is a disappointing 3.4%. Is there anything I can do at this late stage to increase the alcohol content slightly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Hi again folks, looking for advice please. I've had a munton's nut brown ale kit brewing for the last 2 weeks. Very robust fermenting for 2 days and went very quiet after that. The final abv is a disappointing 3.4%. Is there anything I can do at this late stage to increase the alcohol content slightly?

What was the target abv? Maybe just repitch some of the same yeast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

You can add simple sugars or complex sugars to increase the abv
    A bag of light liquid malt extract dissolved in hot water and added in will increase the abv by a couple of points on a 25l brew and maintain body
    Or a kilo of dex but the dex will make it thinner

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

What was the starting gravity? Sometimes kit brewers think they're getting weak beer when in fact they just haven't mixed thoroughly at the beginning and got an inaccurately low reading on the starting gravity. I'd be wary of trying to boost the ABV later in the process, especially without a look at what's actually happening with the gravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

The starting gravity was 1.040 and I finished up with 1.014. So would fresh yeast and a half kilo of malt extract do? ( I thoroughly mixed and aerated at the start and it's been at a constant 24° ). I was expecting around 4.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What does it taste like?

If it's nice, late sugar additions will probably change that for the worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

What does it taste like?

If it's nice, late sugar additions will probably change that for the worse

I think you're right, leave well enough alone. It just means I'll have to drink twice as much of it😁

Advertisement