Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling apartment to buy a new one - process??

Options
  • 02-05-2016 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Perhaps someone can shine some light on this.

If I have a mortgage on a property and I wanted to sell it (buyer ready) and I will be in equity from the sale, what is the process for me getting a new mortgage on a new home?

Do I need to apply for a mortgage all over again (ie: get approval on principle) or can I transfer my mortgage balance from my first property onto my new property?

Obviously I am no longer a first time buyer so how does this work?

Basically, it is possible for my mortgage to be moved from my first property to my new one or do I need to go through the entire process all over again to get a new mortgage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

No .. It's not possible.

You will clear the existing mortgage with the sale of your property and apply for a new mortgage for the new property.

You are no longer a first time buyer and will need to satisfy the central bank conditions .. 20% etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

whippet wrote: »
    No .. It's not possible.

You will clear the existing mortgage with the sale of your property and apply for a new mortgage for the new property.

You are no longer a first time buyer and will need to satisfy the central bank conditions .. 20% etc.

Can I use the equity built up as my deposit or do I need to have a savings record again? To get approval I mean....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The equity can be the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

You will also need to satisfy the requirements for affordability and a history of financial prudence when applying..

Banks are not as easy to get money from as they were 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Hi OP.

Is the new property more expensive than the one you're selling?

Also, how much equity do you have?

Both of these factors will be important to any bank lending you the money.

Best thing to do is go to talk to them, lay out your circumstances and see what they say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement