Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending a lease early

Options
  • 02-05-2016 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

My partner and myself have decided to end our lease early. We have occupied the apartment for 9 of a 12 month lease. Our reason for doing so is we are trying to save towards a mortgage deposit and are struggling to put enough away due to the rent price. We have communicated this with our landlord and have informed them of our desire to end the lease in 30 days (which is outlined within our lease documentation)

As i am aware we have cut the lease short, i have tried to see if it was possible to re-assign the lease or find another couple to take up a new lease when we leave, which i have done. The new couple are our friends who we know for a long time, and we have offered the landlord references and a chance to meet them. They are willing to take up the lease the day we leave. ( so no financial loss for the landlord)

The landlord doesn't seem to have much of a clue about the ins and outs of tenancy and leasing and wants to come back to us once he check out that we are in fact able to end a lease early, so id like to confirm i am correct in my thinking that;

- We are able to end a lease early once we give sufficient notice
    - if we have found suitable new tenants there should be no real issue with going through with the above proposal

Is there anything that would enable the landlord to stop us from ending our lease if we have provided alternative tenants?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

salad_man wrote: »
    My partner and myself have decided to end our lease early. We have occupied the apartment for 9 of a 12 month lease. Our reason for doing so is we are trying to save towards a mortgage deposit and are struggling to put enough away due to the rent price. We have communicated this with our landlord and have informed them of our desire to end the lease in 30 days (which is outlined within our lease documentation)

As i am aware we have cut the lease short, i have tried to see if it was possible to re-assign the lease or find another couple to take up a new lease when we leave, which i have done. The new couple are our friends who we know for a long time, and we have offered the landlord references and a chance to meet them. They are willing to take up the lease the day we leave. ( so no financial loss for the landlord)

The landlord doesn't seem to have much of a clue about the ins and outs of tenancy and leasing and wants to come back to us once he check out that we are in fact able to end a lease early, so id like to confirm i am correct in my thinking that;

- We are able to end a lease early once we give sufficient notice
    - if we have found suitable new tenants there should be no real issue with going through with the above proposal

Is there anything that would enable the landlord to stop us from ending our lease if we have provided alternative tenants?

thanks

LL doesn't have to agree.

You signed for 12 months why not just stay till end not much left anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

LL doesn't have to agree.

You signed for 12 months why not just stay till end not much left anyway.

Actually provided the tenants are of similar quality and standing to the OP and have good references the landlord has the choice to either agree to reassign the lease or to terminate the OP's lease.

The OP's lease appears to have a break clause so there is no onus on the OP to seek replacement tenants, the OP has gone over and above what is required to help the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

It may be in the landlords interest to agree to early termination. Depending on where property is. A new tenant/lease could potentially bring increased rent.

Advertisement