Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the Leaving Cert so traumatising?

Options
  • 02-05-2016 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I've recently had two adults in about their 50s tell me that they still regularly get nightmares about the Leaving Cert. What do you think makes it so bad in comparison to every other exam you do in your life?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

The fact that the people you mentioned are in their 50's might explain it somewhat. When they did the LC there probably wasn't as many routes into higher education. A privilege, not a right sort of thing. Now you can do a PLC, enter as a mature student, HEAR, DARE etc. People need to relax and stop putting so much pressure on themselves. Don't buy into the "this is the most important exam of your life" crap. Easier said than done, of course. Besides, I imagine college will be waaay more stressful, given the cost involved.

I'm totally gonna start having LC nightmares now aren't I? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

I'm reliably informed by other adults that it just gets worse from here. 20 years from now you'll be posting "Why is paying off a mortgage so traumatizing?!!!"

The LC isn't that bad when you really think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

It's not that stressful, it's just that too much pressure is put on 18 year olds. There are so many routes after sixth year that don't include going straight into University. I really wish there wasn't a form of "stigma" associated with say Gap Years or Apprenticeships in Ireland.

Saying that, no matter how stressful college is, no matter how many exams and assignments and reports I have to do, I'd never like to go back to do the Leaving Cert. With that, being in debt at 19 due to college also isn't fun.

Advertisement