Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever done a Leicester City?

Options
  • 02-05-2016 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭

just wondering has anyone ever done what Leicester city are about to do, i.e win the premier league with an under dog, cheaply assembled team on football manager without cheating? if so what was your team? best I have done was win the FA cup with Swansea City this was back when they were in old division 3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Depends on the league of course. Somewhere like Spain, you aren't overcoming Barca/Real's strength with a small budget without using some sort of exploit (tactical exploits for example).

In the PL I think it would be possible, purely because the middle and lower tier PL teams have so much cash. If you made a few smart signings and were good at the game tactically, you could do it.

Best I have managed is winning the Lithuanian league with FBK Kaunas our first season in the top tier, but it's easier in smaller leagues where the gap between top & bottom isn't as big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

Juventus came from serie c and won serie A after calicopoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

In FM2012 I took Crawley Town from League Two to PL victory in, I think, 7 seasons. No cheats, or unscrupulous tactics. It was probably the best save I've ever had in FM. I did get a bit lucky though, in that I nabbed two youth regens on loan from Chelsea, later convinced them to sign for me, and both ended up being Ballon D'Or winners. One of them won it several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Not a comparison exactly. But in FM15 i won the Europa league and champions league with Spurs. I made 2/3 signings and beat Barcelona in both finals :)

I got Derby promoted in my first season, then finished 11th.

I also turned Liverpool back into the team they were in the 70 and 80s. It took me 5 seasons to win the premier league but I assmbled a squad that won 2 league titles and the champions league in 3 seasons. I think winning smaller trophies like the league and FA cups helped the team in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Won Premier league & back to back European cups with Reading in FM2014, no cheats/exploits as such but without buying players who in real life probably wouldn't sign for you I'm not sure how you would do it.

In saying that jem Karacen was POTY both seasons and he's already there so maybe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Won the Champions League before with Limerick :) with no cheats

• Registered Users Posts: 36 appoireland

On FM15 Handheld, I won the PL with Blackburn after 4 seasons, promoted back to the PL in first season. Went onto dominate the league for years, was v. lucky with regens early in the game and free transfers which brought stability and money in from later sales.

But the most impressive achievement was taking a very poor Ireland squad from 97th in the World Rankings to 20th, then winning the World Cup in 2026!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The whole point of Football Manager is to 'do a Leicester'. In fact I'd say that Leicester have 'done a Football Manager'. I've dozens of Premier Leagues with Southend over the decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭pgj2015

just wondering is football and championship manager too easy, like people winning the champions league with longford town, bray wanderers etc or are these situations rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't know about too easy. It's all about living out the fantasy, people wouldn't play it if it was as hard as real life.

• Advertisement

I don't know about too easy. It's all about living out the fantasy, people wouldn't play it if it was as hard as real life.

it shouldn't be too easy or too hard though, id prefer if it was realistic though. i remember one of the fm games back in like 2002, after the second year, you could get brazillian ronaldo, shevchenko etc for free, even if you were in division 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

pgj2015 wrote: »
    just wondering is football and championship manager too easy, like people winning the champions league with longford town, bray wanderers etc or are these situations rare.

It's harder than you think, you have to find the right tactics, win multiple competitions, build up a good bit of money, especially if you're a LoI team to compete with the big teams. Only managed to win it once with Limerick but it was a very successful Irish league team, with a good ground and a hape of money.

when is fm 2017 coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Probably October/November

• Registered Users Posts: 45,950 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Did it with Sheffield United, in a game I could never explain.

I had won everythign with United, then Juve and saw Sheffield United were in the 3rd division - so quit Juve and got he Sheffield United job. Managed to get Pazzini from from Juve reserve side. 6 seasons later, Pazzini had spearheaded me to Division 3, Division 2, Division 1, Premier League titles - and 2 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, 1 Uefa Cup, 1 CL - with over (i think) 600 goals scored. Including 6 vs Arsenal in a 6-5 Fa Cup final win. Joe Garner and the america lad that was at Blackburn for a while, something Johnson were also stars for me.

Could never figure out where I was never forced to sell Pazzini to a bigger club.

This was back in 2002 - so would have been whatever version of the game covered 2001/02. I didn't update to the new version of the game for a few weeks because my Sheffield United side was too much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Championship Manager 01/02 I think, had a great save with Derby County, had some good young players, but a great youth system, bought the good young players that you get to know after playing the game loads and the usual famous cheap players, think it took 2-3 seasons but I won a lot.

On the international scene I won everything with Ireland in the 5th season, again mostly down to me owning 7 of the squad for my club :pac:

Advertisement