Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gym Advice, South/West Dublin- Weightlifting/Athletic Performance

Options
  • 02-05-2016 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello All, new to this forum. Seeking advice on your experiences and insights, for purpose of making my decision where to join. Currently using rugby club gym but need change of environment, in addition to recent injury which will prevent me from playing for approx 9 months.

Current Training practices-Novice weightlifter (trained with college club) last few months, athletic performance orientated, and certain body-building accessory.

Basing me decision on 4 dimensions-

Equipment- Quality of Barbells, Actual Plates, DB's, Boxes, Pull-up & Dips,Mobility/Warmup Area, (Coffee for extra points). Do not care about changing rooms

Atmosphere- Important to me. Likeminded people, athletic orientated not instagram fitness. Trained in Ben Dunne twice and wanted to leave upon entering

Accesibility- Secure Car-Park, Open till about 10pm Mon-Sat, Between Inchicore,Tallaght,Dundrum catchment area. (Based in Templeogue). Intended training hours 6-10 Mon Friday.

Pricing- Least sensitive. Once its reasonable willing to pay premium for above.

Worthwhile Mentions- Not interested in Crossfitting but will to train at CF gym, as they tend to fit dimension 1&2. Have trained in Raw Portebello & Sandyford, not for me. Not interested in power-lifting. Preferably steer clear of commercial gyms, not worth money to me.

Capital Strength appears to be one of my leading runners, but their pricing and opening hours were of concern.They appear to be the leading weightlifting gym within the locality. Anyone have experience regarding Capital.

I have considered purchasing bar and plates and doing a ghetto set up at home. Lack of shelter, reasonably priced equipment and wanting to get out of house all counter arguments.

I'm aware I may well be asking for too much here, 1st world problems and so on.
    The gym I'm basing my desires towards is Movement Enhanced Gym, Sydney.Thanks in advance for guidance.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEAxlhBP0a0/?taken-by=movement_enhanced&hl=en
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I don't think the gym you're looking for exists in Dublin.

You'll get most of the gear in flyefit, but you won't get good barbells. But then you won't like the atmosphere.

You'll get everything you want in a CrossFit, and while you say you're not price sensitive, your worry over capital strength pricing suggests you are, which will place most of the good CFs out of your range.

South Dublin Strength and Conditioning in Harolds would be a potentially good option.

If you could make it to Irishtown Stadium or Morton Stadium they'd have all the gear you want (Eleiko etc) but the location is out. Same story with Hercs (Hercules).

Basically, you want a virgin super model wife, who's rich but won't hold it against you, likes blowjobs more than most guys and cooks the worlds best breakfast, lunch and dinner every day for you....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Like Hanley said, you're looking for a gym that doesn't exist in Ireland, maybe even this planet.

I've been at Capital Strength for a few months and what I'll say is if you want to do weightlifting, it's perfect. The owners/coaches are always there and whether you're a beginner or have been doing weightlifting for years, they'll watch every rep and make sure your technique is the best it can be.

They have some dumbells, pull up bars and a stand for hyperextensions, so it's probably not the best if you're looking to do a lot of accessory work that doesn't involve a bar and plates.

Personally I use my local gym for bench press, pull downs etc. but that's mostly because I don't live in Dublin and my local gym's more convenient, but for the attention to detail and level of coaching I get at Capital Strength, it's worth every penny imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Savage924

Check out westpark gym in Tallaght!

Advertisement