Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank account balance totally incorrect

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The BoI online banking facility is virtually useless as a tracking tool. Because of this I run an Excel spreadsheet to track my account. A quick check this morning shows that BoI online statement is over stating my balance by more than Eur 300. It's about time they sorted their online banking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Yes it should all be instant these days but practically businesses and the banks have been closed for days - things aren't being processed.
    Other banks are able to do it even over the Christmas...my AIB account stayed in real time over Christmas no issues. BOI always blames the retailer even though I have proven in the past this isn’t the case.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

My balance has been out all over Christmas - two transactions actually came through - were debited - and then vanished!

Bank of Ireland’s lack of openness on this issue is totally unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We still have one bank of Ireland account left. The balance is basically worthless for half of every week. It’s compeltely insane and it’s totally ridiculous for BOI to blame the retailers when every other bank has a correct running balance at all times regardless of retailers

We still have one bank of Ireland account left. The balance is basically worthless for half of every week. It’s compeltely insane and it’s totally ridiculous for BOI to blame the retailers when every other bank has a correct running balance at all times regardless of retailers

Yes those dastardly retailers constantly withholding debits for Bank of Ireland customers only, while still managing to submit information for all the other banks on time????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

How come Revolut can give an accurate reflection of your balance whereas BoI can't? Surely the retailers use the same means of transfer whether you use a revolut card or a BoI visa debit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

As I said previously I have proven to BOI it has nothing to do with the retailer as they claim.
    I have a good friend who owns a small shop in Galway and I made the point of buying something and following it on 365 app. The transactions took 3 days to leave my account. It left my account within an hour then it disappeared and balance was all over the place. I contacted BOI who blamed the shop in question for not processing it for 4 days even I know for sure my friend does end of day banking and all card transactions at the end of everyday ad he is only a small shop and needs to do it this way.
    I provided BOI with this info and they still insisted it had nothing to do with BOI systems and that it’s retailers who cause the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Just moved to BOI from Ulster Bank to open a joint account with my wife to help manage our finances together. It's actually harder now, I had assumed our balance was up to date like it was with my personal account with Ulster Bank. Not good enough. Think we will have to move again.

I’ve lost track of the number of times my balance was wrong over the Christmas period.

BOI’s lack of openness with customers on this issue is totally unacceptable and of serious concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

It's the old system that is to blame. Legacy code on a legacy system. They should be updating their systems soon. Hopefully that'll iron all this out. AIB seem to use a different system than BOI to handle point of sale transactions. It's the shadow balance in BOI that is causing all the problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ally Dick wrote: »
    It's the old system that is to blame. Legacy code on a legacy system. They should be updating their systems soon. Hopefully that'll iron all this out. AIB seem to use a different system than BOI to handle point of sale transactions. It's the shadow balance in BOI that is causing all the problems

Of course. Why don't they just acknowledge that though rather than hiding behind total lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

As has been said this is completely unique to Bank of Ireland and their IT. Every other bank can manage pending , pre-auth and processed transactions.

They are a joke , same way they give themselves unofficial sepa "non processing" days when the rest of Europe's banks move as normal

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Same as me. Unfortunately for me though was that the transactions all decided to come through at the same time (including several contactless payments) and put me into a negative balance. This in turn then made a direct debit bounce and I've been penalised for that also. To rub salt into the woundz I then was put further into negative due to "fees". Basically I pay BOI to hold my money, but not really tell me how much I actually have.

I am 100% glad that I'm switching to Ulster Bank as of the end of this week for all my banking. Will see out the remaining direct debits of my current account. I'll also be moving my savings account as well as I cannot actually rely on knowing how much money I have.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Of course. Why don't they just acknowledge that though rather than hiding behind total lies.

The lack of honesty is shameful and totally unacceptable - how can any customer trust either the integrity or competence of the management of Bank of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

antodeco wrote: »
    I cannot actually rely on knowing how much money I have.

BOI would view you as a demanding customer for daring to want to know how much money of yours they have.

For anyone on the move I recommend a combo of EBS and N26. EBS is free of fees (with ****e online banking and no app) but when paired with N26 you have the best in Mobile banking and branch access for free. Takes a little bit of work with how you spread/transfer money but well worth it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

BOI would view you as a demanding customer for daring to want to know how much money of yours they have.

For anyone on the move I recommend a combo of EBS and N26. EBS is free of fees (with ****e online banking and no app) but when paired with N26 you have the best in Mobile banking and branch access for free. Takes a little bit of work with how you spread/transfer money but well worth it.

I'll be combining Ulster Bank with Revolut. Fee free banking for salary and bills, and then revolut for all my other transactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Any source for the should be updating their systems soon?

Any source for the should be updating their systems soon?
    https://www.bankingtech.com/2017/10/bank-of-irelands-new-ceo-reviews-tech-revamp/

The new project to upgrade the banks computer system. Should prevent balance abnormalities, once it is delivered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

dulux99 wrote: »

If Boi is anything like an old workplace of mine it's because you're dealing with front line staff who aren't permitted to be up front with customers.

A member of staff telling a customer that their employer's system is old and prone to issues like balances not being accurate would probably get some Joe soap in a call centre in serious sh1t. Easier to spoof and blame everyone else than admit something that could hurt retaining business, and worse - admit to something where you can't tell a customer when and how it will be fixed and improved upon.

It's absurd really. Make staff do courses and sit through training in ethics in business yet at the same time not allow them to inform a customer fully so they can make a decision best for themselves.

This is an IT design issue that would not be understood by most frontline staff. There's no great conspiracy to hoodwink the customer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

This is the reason I moved to ulsterbank. Haven't looked back. The final straw for me was when bank of ireland showed an inaccurate balance for me, I used the card 6 times and got charged unauthorised overdraft to the tune of 30 euro! More than the sum total of the 6 payments combined. Also bank charges where crazy. I now pay 4 euro a month back fees and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I assume the age of the IT system is probably why they don’t offer Apple Pay and Google Pay too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I assume the age of the IT system is probably why they don’t offer Apple Pay and Google Pay too.
    No excuse for them...  Plenty of very old mainframe-based systems are powering mobile customer-facing devices particularly in the travel industry.

Yeah but I mean when you can get real time or near real-time transactions at other banks it’s starting to become problematic.

If you take N26, you not only get details about every transaction but you get instant push notifications usually within a couple of seconds of using their card / using your phone to pay.

This business of waiting days and days for transaction details to appear on online banking is ridiculous old nonsense from the days of paper statements.

Even AIB is far ahead of BOI on these things.

There’s a reasonable expectation of real time or close to real-time information being available because that’s how it works for almost everything else we use.

Yeah but I mean when you can get real time or near real-time transactions at other banks it’s starting to become problematic.

If you take N26, you not only get details about every transaction but you get instant push notifications usually within a couple of seconds of using their card / using your phone to pay.

This business of waiting days and days for transaction details to appear on online banking is ridiculous old nonsense from the days of paper statements.

There’s a reasonable expectation of real time or close to real-time information being available because that’s how it works for almost everything else we use.

It’s not just the real time balance being wrong - there’s also issues like debits actually appearing and the amounts being debited and then these transactions disappearing and not reappearing for several days.

And there is the ongoing shocking and unacceptable lack of respect for customers on the part of BOI management with their deliberate failure to be upfront on this issue.

dub45 wrote: »

It’s not just the real time balance being wrong - there’s also issues like debits actually appearing and the amounts being debited and then these transactions disappearing and not reappearing for several days.

And there is the ongoing shocking and unacceptable lack of respect for customers on the part of BOI management with their deliberate failure to be upfront on this issue.
    The business staff of BOI don't understand it. The IT staff do understand it, but it is too big a fix. So everyone is waiting for the new system to come in, over the next three years, delivering a fix to the balance issue, Apple and Android Pay, and other improvements to the system 

Batch processing systems updating things step by step I would assume? So you’re seeing balances that are basically being calculated mid-process.

Batch processing systems updating things step by step I would assume? So you’re seeing balances that are basically being calculated mid-process.
    It's the mix of shadow and batch that's the problem. Shadow transactions are much more common now than before. The way the bank deals with this is prehistoric. Too messy to fix until after the new system is implemented

Advertisement