Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger 10/22

Options
  • 02-05-2016 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi all I recently received the renewal for my cz455 .22 lux witch iv had new for past 3 years and I was thinking of changing to a ruger 10/22
    What's the opinion of shooters on these ruger s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ruger 10/22 is a "Barbie gun":) IOW you can dress it up in all sorts of outfits for doing anything you want,and you can spend as little or as much on it as you want to do this.Gun will do everything from bunny shooting to being made into a match tack drtriver costing 10 times more than the original guns purchase price.
    Cheapish,ultra reliable and aftermarket bits aplenty...Go for it!:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

It depends on what you want to do with your .22.
    I'd guess the cz out of the box will be a good deal more accurate than the 10/22. So for rabbit shooting the cz is probably best. For most .22 target shooting the cz will be better except for gallery rifle.
    The 10/22 can be modified till the dogs come home- stock, receiver, bolt, trigger- everything you can imagine.
    The cz455 can have the trigger mod for about €20. I believe aftermarket barrels too, Lilja make one. Stocks also.
    At the risk of insulting 10/22 fans the standard of engineering by cz seems to be a lot better out of the box.
    The 10/22 is a great 'fun' gun all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I am in the same boat.
    Really like the look of the heavy barrel takedown myself.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/specSheets/21133.html

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

What's the opinion of shooters on these ruger s

10/22 all the way. I have a few 10/22's.:rolleyes: Everything from a $100 beater to a +€1000 Kidd. Both far outperform their price.

I saw on youtube that Ruger have released an aftermarket trigger for the 10/22 called the 'BX Trigger' for about $70. Maybe not quite a Kidd but supposed to be ok.
    Wonder why they don't just fit them as standard?

• Advertisement

Deaf git wrote: »
    I saw on youtube that Ruger have released an aftermarket trigger for the 10/22 called the 'BX Trigger' for about $70. Maybe not quite a Kidd but supposed to be ok.

No, stay away from it. I tried one at a local dealer and was thoroughly un-impressed. If funds are tight, get a Kidd trigger fix at $105.

Fair question and I have wondered that myself.

In fairness to Ruger, since Ireland's favourite son, O'Bama's been in office, the dollar has lost 40% of its value, yet Ruger is still able to offer the 10/22 at a retail price starting at €185.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 VBull

As above its all depends on what you want to do with it. Targets or field or a mixture of both.

The ruger has a LOT of upgrades compared to the cz 455 and more internal parts but since cz introduced the 455 more aftermarket upgrades are becoming available which i believe is due to the 455 been a switch barrel rifle like the ruger. Lilja even do a match grade barrel for the cz

Maybe they will offer a new package with the upgraded trigger whilst still offering the original trigger rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Keep the CZ455 and buy a 10/22 also.

My first rifle was a CZ455 .22 Varmint, lovely rifle, very accurate. I liked it so much I got the .17HMR Varmint, cracker rifle also.

Later in the year I'll probably pick up a 10/22 as I want to try out Gallery Rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I use the 10/22 tactical for bunnies and targets and have great fun with it. Have brought it out to over 400 yards on targets with quite surprising good results. Great reliable firearm and I don't feel under gunned next to the cz on the range.

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Keep the CZ455 and buy a 10/22 also.

My first rifle was a CZ455 .22 Varmint, lovely rifle, very accurate. I liked it so much I got the .17HMR Varmint, cracker rifle also.

Later in the year I'll probably pick up a 10/22 as I want to try out Gallery Rifle.

Best suggestion of the lot. Keep the cz and buy the Ruger. If you want to move on to something else at a later time either gun would be accepted as a trade-in by most dealers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

I have a 10/22 take down. My previous BSA air rifle blew it away in terms of accuracy. One essential upgrade is to add a volquartsen hammer, so the trigger pull is reduced to a level that doesn't impeed accuracy, as the factory trigger pull is about 9lbs..:eek:
    Also they don't cycle reliably all the time with sub sonics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

ligertigon wrote: »
    I have a 10/22 take down. My previous BSA air rifle blew it away in terms of accuracy. One essential upgrade is to add a volquartsen hammer, so the trigger pull is reduced to a level that doesn't impeed accuracy, as the factory trigger pull is about 9lbs..:eek:

Kidd trigger kit (not the full trigger) and cci subs in mine make it pretty accurate with 100% cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Kidd trigger kit (not the full trigger) and cci subs in mine make it pretty accurate with 100% cycling.

My hammer was $35 from the US, massive difference.. I'm guessing the kidd cost you a bit more?
    Can't see how the trigger kit can make it cycle better?? I usually get 4 or 5 out of 50 cci's subs that don't cycle. Could easily be batch related I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭hermes2011

have CZ and 10/22 never get rid of the CZ. 10/22 is more of a fun gun for plinking but if ya thinking of competition standard you would have to upgrade everything the only left would be the serial number

has anyone used a takedown 10/22 they look the part are they as good as the regular one? I would be afraid it would wear down from taking it down all the time.

ligertigon wrote: »
    My hammer was $35 from the US, massive difference.. I'm guessing the kidd cost you a bit more?
    Can't see how the trigger kit can make it cycle better?? I usually get 4 or 5 out of 50 cci's subs that don't cycle. Could easily be batch related I suppose

The Kidd kit was about €100 over here, brings the trigger pull down to a nice level for accurate hunting, nothing to do with the cycling.

I've tried a few different brands but I've yet to have a cci sub fail to cycle unlike every other brand.
    I've also polished all the moving parts to a shine which helps too.

The 10/22 is great if you fancy tinkering and improving the gun yourself, lots to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

ligertigon wrote:

Only 2 sub's failed to cycle properly in my one Winchester T22 and an Ely target. Can't remember if it was the sport or club round

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

If your looking for a fun gun for rabbits plinking and target (..for the craic) you will not beat it. You can spend a fortune on turning it into a tack driver to compete with CZ/anschutz etc. But for the shear fun of being able to hit a steel plate at 150 yards 10 shots....as fast as you can pull the trigger....you will not beat the ruger 10/22.

The Kidd kit was about €100 over here

Where can you get the trigger kit for €100? I want to test the Kidd kit vs a full Kidd SS and a Timney.

Right now, the trigger sells for $105 in the States. +$5 to have it shipped to an American address = $110 = €97. Anyone getting them in Eire for a spot of €3, please advise.

Not sure if I asked already, but how do you like the kit: (1) overall and (2) compared to another (Kidd, Timney, Volts, Power Custom, ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

As trigger kits go the Kidd is the best IMO light clean break with very short reset, Now I would prefer the SS trigger but over twice the price, the kit cost me €120 . I replaced a Volq hammer and sear with the kidd trigger kit, way better.

• Advertisement

FISMA. wrote: »
    Where can you get the trigger kit for €100? I want to test the Kidd kit vs a full Kidd SS and a Timney.

Right now, the trigger sells for $105 in the States. +$5 to have it shipped to an American address = $110 = €97. Anyone getting them in Eire for a spot of €3, please advise.

Not sure if I asked already, but how do you like the kit: (1) overall and (2) compared to another (Kidd, Timney, Volts, Power Custom, ...)

I got mine from Harbour Guns, it might have been €120 but I can't remember exactly as it was a while ago.

I got mine from Harbour Guns, it might have been €120 but I can't remember exactly as it was a while ago.

Could have been €100 when the dollar was weaker.

In any case, thanks.

Will have to do the review this summer.

FISMA. wrote: »
    Could have been €100 when the dollar was weaker.

In any case, thanks.

Will have to do the review this summer.

I havent really much to compare it to myself, the factory trigger was brutal so doesn't warrant comparison.

I had a go of a full Kidd trigger a few months before I bought my own 10/22 but can't compare because of the time between.

The trigger kit is plenty good enough to improve accuracy on a hunting rifle. Is it good enough for gallery? I don't know but it's probably good enough to get you started without wanting to shell out on the full job.

it depends how high a level you want to compete at

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Are these kits also suitable for the 77/22?

goz83 wrote: »
    Are these kits also suitable for the 77/22?

Unfortunately, not. Totally different setup.

To the OP or anyone else interested in triggers, here's an article on 9 of the best options available for the 10/22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

The trigger kit is currently for sale at €185 here

cw67irl wrote: »
    The trigger kit is currently for sale at €185 here
    That's a lot for the kit, how much for the full Kidd trigger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

That's a lot for the kit, how much for the full Kidd trigger?

Going by their site 340 for single stage and 380 for a 2 stage

• Advertisement

cw67irl wrote: »
    Going by their site 340 for single stage and 380 for a 2 stage

Any idea what the Ruger BX trigger is going for in Eire?

I tried one in a shop in the States and was thoroughly unimpressed.

The Kidd trigger kit was a quantum leap over the aftermarket Ruger BX trigger.

Advertisement