Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can this be saved

• 02-05-2016 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

my father in law in his wisdom taped up the doors on this unit with brown tape some years back before it was put in storage

I've tried using wd40 to get this off to no avail as the wd40 doesnt penetrate it to get at the glue.

any idea if this can be saved and how?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

RobAMerc wrote: »
    my father in law in his wisdom taped up the doors on this unit with brown tape some years back before it was put in storage

I've tried using wd40 to get this off to no avail as the wd40 doesnt penetrate it to get at the glue.

any idea if this can be saved and how?

thanks

A pic would be handy but I've heard of mr sheen been used to clear sellotape marks off furniture worth a try I'd imagine if the top coating is still on the tape it'd seal it somewhat maybe a steam cleaner or a warm damp cloth as most the glue in these are heat sensitive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can get rustin's surface cleaner which may act as a solvent for it. looks a little like meths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Cellulose thinners will shift most tape adhesive. Try it on a hidden area first using one of those shiny pan scrubbers.Don't use wire wool as any fragments will rust and stain the wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks guys, pics added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Jizer is (can be ! ) good for glue residue - not as harsh as thinners etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Use a hair dryer on medium heat setting to soften the adhesive bond, scrape gently with a icepop stick sharpened to an edge. White spirit should remove any residue but don't rub too vigorously. I've had plenty of sucess removing years old adhesive tapes and residue when a bit of gentle heat is applied.

Advertisement