Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest Festival of all time?

Options
  • 02-05-2016 6:44pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, The Who and Roger Waters have all shared what appear to be teasers for the rumoured "mega festival" this October.

It has previously been reported that Goldenvoice Entertainment, the promoters behind Coachella Festival, are planning to hold the event in Indio, California - the same site as Coachella - this year between October 7-9.

Each of the five acts above has now shared a teaser video ending with the word "October" on Facebook. Scroll down to watch them all.

A sixth legendary rock act, Neil Young, is also rumoured to be on the festival's bill, though he has yet to share a teaser. The headline acts are expected to be paid $7 million each for their sets, according to the reports.

The Who's Roger Daltrey recently appeared to confirm the rumoured mega festival, telling Canada's Postmedia Network: "I think it's us and Roger Waters on the same day. It's a fantastic idea for a festival. It's the greatest remains of our era."

"I hope a lot of normal fans can get tickets before they get snatched up," he added.

Reports have suggested that two acts will headline each night of the festival: Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney on the first, Rolling Stones and Neil Young on the second, and The Who and Roger Waters on the third.

Neil Young's longtime manager Elliot Roberts has also spoken about the rumoured mega festival, telling The LA Times: "It's so special in so many ways. You won't get a chance to see a bill like this, perhaps ever again. It's a show I look forward to more than any show in a long time."

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/the-rolling-stones/93324?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=rollingstones#pbPYhRULGZamT7cL.99

Would be a great gig to go to but can see the tickets costing a few hundred $$$$

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

When I looked at the thread title I imagined it was capacity wise you were talking about, yeah I seen that news about the festival, impressive line up but like you say tickets will be like gold dust, take in travel expenses and that extra vip pass so you can drink a pint while watching Waters.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I await the 'Let's bring this to Slane' posts :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

five six nights at Croke Park?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

After the sun sets and the sky turns purple over Indio Valley's Empire Polo Club grounds on October 7th, Bob Dylan will take the stage. Later, the Rolling Stones will follow. It will be the first day of Desert Trip, a historic three-day concert that will also include Neil Young, Paul McCartney, the Who and Roger Waters – two acts a day, performing full sets with their own stage productions. The event is the result of a year of secret meetings and careful negotiations by Paul Tollett, the CEO of concert promoter Goldenvoice.

Megaconcert Stones, McCartney, Dylan, Who, Waters, Young Confirm Fest »
    For the past 17 years, Tollett has staged the Coachella Music & Arts Festival, also held at the Indio, California, site, which has made its reputation with high-profile reunions like the Pixies, Rage Against the Machine and Guns N' Roses. When the city of Indio granted permission for an October festival, Tollett wanted to top himself. "The theme was rock & roll bands that have been playing consistently since the early days," he says. Added Roger Daltrey of the Who, "It's the greatest remains of our era. I'm glad we made it."

Two years ago, Tollett made a wish list that he says consisted only of the six acts. He traveled to see each one play, and he sold them on the idea slowly. "If I'd made a financial offer first, I would have been rejected," he says. "[The Stones] asked what I was working on. I said, 'I'm working on one of the greatest shows of all time. I don't know what that means, but I'll come back to you.' " The biggest challenges included getting the first act to sign on (Tollett is not saying who it was). "A couple said, 'What are you going to do if we don't do it?' [I said] 'If we don't get these six, we're not going to do the show.' They said, ‘OK, that's kind of interesting.' " The only act Tollett has not met with personally is Dylan: "I live out near him, but he's not the type of guy you run into at 7-Eleven." It's been reported that acts are receiving upward of $7 million per set. "They're all getting what they're worth," says Tollett.

While Coachella has a standing field, a "mini-stadium" is being built for the October event, with a pit up front, seats and a general-admission area further back. Three-day passes will run from $399 to $1,599, not including VIP packages (single-day tickets will be sold for $199). It's steep, but Tollett points out it's not far off from Coachella prices. Despite the big names, it's an open question whether a festival setting will appeal to a baby-boomer crowd: "Every concert is a risk. It's definitely kept me up at night. When we launched Coachella, we knew what the crowd was going to be. This one's a head-scratcher." Adds Scooter Weintraub, who manages Gary Clark Jr. and Sheryl Crow, "I can't imagine this would not do well. This is dream-team stuff."

For Tollett, the concert is the highlight of a career that began when he dropped out of college to promote punk shows in the early Eighties. He's since built Goldenvoice into an empire; Coachella grossed $84 million last year. For part of the year, Tollett lives in a house on the fest site with employees, and hammers out details in late-night picnic-table meetings. "I had big dreams in the beginning, but nothing even close to this," he says. "It's hard to even comprehend."

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

For those prices its not worth it. Especially the way they do it which is GA at the very back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

5 legends playing full festival sets for $399 isnt actually that bad considering what is being charged for standalone concerts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ts_editor

The 'See Us All Before We Croak' Tour

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

3 day passes
    General admission - $399
    Reserved floor - $699, $999, $1,599
    Reserved grandstand - $999, $1599
    Standing pit - $1,599

Single day passes
    General admission - $199

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

screen-shot-2016-05-03-at-9-16-42-am.png?w=807

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

ts_editor wrote: »
    Cocoon, the festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

ts_editor wrote: »

The way 2016 is going I feel there is a high chance at least one major figure doesn't make it to the show.

Advertisement