Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Card Charge

Options
  • 02-05-2016 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭

I recently purchased flights from Ryanair using my Debit card.

During the checkout process it clearly stated that there was ‘No Charge’ for using a debit card (see screenshot)

3f4989ee5c.JPG

On completion of the purchase I noticed there was an extra charge of €8.68 for using my Debit card.

I contacted Ryanair and explained the situation and requested a refund for the €8.68 surcharge.

This was their response.

7666f092ff.JPG

My question is, I can see nothing on my bank statement that proves my card is a debit card, so how or what documentation can I get that will prove my card is a debit card?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

A bank statement showing the charge is proof it's a debit card, a credit card charge would show on a credit card bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Got my €8.68 refunded today.

I wonder how many people get caught like that and don't even notice it? or, if they do, don't bother to follow up on it?

Could well be a nice little earner for Ryanair......

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I believe that this can happen because many banks no longer use their own debit cards and rely on VISA Debit cards, which can be coded as Credit cards incorrectly by the banks. Not strictly a RyanAir problem, this can happen at other vendors as well.

I believe that this can happen because many banks no longer use their own debit cards and rely on VISA Debit cards, which can be coded as Credit cards incorrectly by the banks. Not strictly a RyanAir problem, this can happen at other vendors as well.

Can the bank do anything about that I wonder? If I were to use this card to book flights with Ryanair in future it is likely the same thing would happen again so?

I wonder if asking the Bank via the Talk To section would be of any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

This post has been deleted.

This. Happened to me. I put in MasterCard Debit Card when trying to book with Ryanair and it kept kicking me out not authorizing the card. I presume cos the bank coded it Credit card and I was saying Debit card. Ended up going through PayPal to get it to work and therefore had to pay the charges for using PayPal. Wasn't impressed. I tweeted Ryanair TWICE about the issue and they couldn't be arsed to respond!

I put a post on the "Talk to AIB" section, we'll see if they respond.

LINK:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

hdowney wrote: »
    This. Happened to me. I put in MasterCard Debit Card when trying to book with Ryanair and it kept kicking me out not authorizing the card. I presume cos the bank coded it Credit card and I was saying Debit card. Ended up going through PayPal to get it to work and therefore had to pay the charges for using PayPal. Wasn't impressed. I tweeted Ryanair TWICE about the issue and they couldn't be arsed to respond!

What can ryanair do about a card that is not coded correctly?

If that is the problem (coded incorrectly) there is nothing Ryanair can do I'd imagine? That's why I contacted the Bank to see if they can deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Well I didn't know what the problem was (I only got the coded wrong suggestion from this thread today - at the time I knew nothing). So obviously I messaged Ryanair to ask what the problem could be. They could have had the decency to at least respond.

• Advertisement

Even though I got my refund, I wanted to make as sure as I could that my card was not a problematic card as far as coding goes and that was why I contacted AIB bank to check it out.

Well, they came back to me today and told me that they investigated it fully with Ryanair and that I was the issue, they claimed I choose Visa Credit and not Visa Debit at checkout.

Not accepting that, as you can clearly see from the screenshot I took on the day (see first post) of the actual transaction on Ryanairs' site, It shows the radio button for "Pay by Debit card" clearly checked.

Advertisement