Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do all food products in Ireland need to show ingredients?

Options
  • 02-05-2016 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

just got home with tesco soft cheese....no ingredients. Can't be right can it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Looking at the garlic and herb version http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=276865728 once you take out the garlic and herbs the other listed ingredient is soft cheese so it looks like the only ingredient in the regular one is soft cheese (milk)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

athtrasna wrote: »
    Looking at the garlic and herb version http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=276865728 once you take out the garlic and herbs the other listed ingredient is soft cheese so it looks like the only ingredient in the regular one is soft cheese (milk)?

but is cream cheese only milk? no salt, nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

There is a question of how far it is worth drilling down to identify ingredients. I would be happy to accept that cream cheese is basic. I don't want to know what the cow ate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Buy a bottle of wine and look for the ingredients and yes, there's a lot more than grape juice in most bottles of wine. This issue has a lot more to do with the political power and influence of the producers and less to do with consumer rights.

• Advertisement

There is a question of how far it is worth drilling down to identify ingredients. I would be happy to accept that cream cheese is basic. I don't want to know what the cow ate.

It is worth something to me. Many people stopped caring about that a while ago thinking that food companies have their best interests at heart. But this is just not true. 30 years later peoples are fatter and unhealthier than ever. One reason: ignorance to what we eat. So yes, I do want to know the ingredients.

coylemj wrote: »
    Buy a bottle of wine and look for the ingredients and yes, there's a lot more than grape juice in most bottles of wine. This issue has a lot more to do with the political power and influence of the producers and less to do with consumer rights.

I don't drink wine but what do you mean "political power"? Are tesco cheese manufacturers funding govt?

athtrasna wrote: »

This is philadelphia cream cheese ingredients

http://www.junkfoodguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/phillybaconcheese-03.png

Do you really think that tesco's version can be just milk? I just saw that it says "allergy advice" on the packaging and there it says milk but that is all. I will contact them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

From the FSAI:
    Article 19
    Omission of the list of ingredients

1. The following foods shall not be required to bear a list of ingredients:

(a) fresh fruit and vegetables, including potatoes, which have not been peeled, cut or similarly treated;
    (b) carbonated water, the description of which indicates that it has been carbonated;
    (c) fermentation vinegars derived exclusively from a single basic product, provided that no other ingredient has been added;
    (d) cheese, butter, fermented milk and cream, to which no ingredient has been added other than lactic products, food enzymes and micro- organism cultures essential to manufacture, or in the case of cheese other than fresh cheese and processed cheese the salt needed for its manufacture;
    (e) foods consisting of a single ingredient, where:
    (i) the name of the food is identical to the ingredient name; or
    (ii) the name of the food enables the nature of the ingredient to be clearly identified.
    Regulation (EU) 1169/2011

Graham wrote: »
    From the FSAI:

Regulation (EU) 1169/2011

Thanks! I wonder why Philadelphia does put its ingredients then. Maybe there is more junk in Philedelphia cheese? Well I must say that if Tesco cheese is so pure then I will never buy Philedelphia again. I am all for simplicity on my breakfast plate. I did write to Tesco as well to ask them. Will see what they say.

Edit: I want to add something else I find odd. I just checked my mozzarella cheese packaging and it says the ingredients

Full fat mozzarella cheese (milk), potatoe starch.

I guess this is because of the potatoe starch that they add the ingredients here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

armabelle wrote: »
    Thanks! I wonder why Philadelphia does put its ingredients then. Maybe there is more junk in Philedelphia cheese?

"to which no ingredient has been added other than lactic products, food enzymes and micro- organism cultures essential to manufacture, or in the case of cheese other than fresh cheese and processed cheese the salt needed for its manufacture"

Philadelphia Original
    Made with pasteurised milk.
    Ingredients:
    Full Fat Soft Cheese, Salt, Stabiliser (Locust Bean Gum), Acid (Citric acid).

Advertisement