Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Frequency Experience

Options
  • 02-05-2016 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've read a bunch of the recent Xiaomi threads but no specific comments about actual experience with network frequencies.

Most of the Xiaomi phones that I've checked out are compatibile with at least one Irish 3G network, usually, 2100MHZ and at least one 4G network, usually 1800MHZ.

I've read the details about the differences between reception and capacity with 800-2600MHZ, and given that one 3G and one 4G frequency compatibility, is it enough? How are people finding network speed, reliability etc?

I've used MIUI ROMs before and loved them, Xiaomi, I've read the general ins and outs, great spec. for great price I've gotta say. I just don't want to find that half frequency compatibility is patchy, and so a mistake! :eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Hi,

I've read a bunch of the recent Xiaomi threads but no specific comments about actual experience with network frequencies.

Most of the Xiaomi phones that I've checked out are compatibile with at least one Irish 3G network, usually, 2100MHZ and at least one 4G network, usually 1800MHZ.

I've read the details about the differences between reception and capacity with 800-2600MHZ, and given that one 3G and one 4G frequency compatibility, is it enough? How are people finding network speed, reliability etc?

I've used MIUI ROMs before and loved them, Xiaomi, I've read the general ins and outs, great spec. for great price I've gotta say. I just don't want to find that half frequency compatibility is patchy, and so a mistake! :eek:

http://willmyphonework.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

I've used that site thanks. Actual personal experience?

For example, each smartphone manufacturer installs different network frequency policies, including when to switch given reception/congestion considerations. With just one frequency available on 3G and one more on 4G, the phone has no backup, it cannot switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I find you won't get 4g unless in Dublin where as with my Sony xperia z3 I could get it in Kildare and in Carlow, now it only seems to come up when I'm in Dublin, the data is def patchy on it,l on the meteor network but maybe it could be me not changing some settings on it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've used that site thanks. Actual personal experience?

For example, each smartphone manufacturer installs different network frequency policies, including when to switch given reception/congestion considerations. With just one frequency available on 3G and one more on 4G, the phone has no backup, it cannot switch.

Not supporting all three bands in each category is a recipe for pain. Higher frequencies are better in built up areas while lower are better rurally. So you could have full coverage in cities but none once you hit the motorway, or vice versa depending on the handset.

Modern SoCs support such a wide range that finding a unit to cover a providers whole allocation shoudnt be that hard.

Yikes, well I guess that's the nail in the coffin.

I do stick to Dublin county 99% of the time so I should be fine, but I've been travelling a lot and have been dealing with semi-compatible phones in different countries. It's no fun.

The Chinese manufactuers like Xiaomi would do well to get a few more bands in those phones if they want more European sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're buying now buy something with LTE CAT5 or above, the new 4G+ features being enabled across the country require it to benefit from the increased speeds.

I will do, cheers. Any idea what frequency that is? I seem to remember those more than the Cats. :D

Advertisement