Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Elite Clubs/Societies within Third Level?

Options
  • 02-05-2016 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

After indulging in what is a marvelous film called, The Riot Club... I am curious too know if any societies/club like "The Bullingdon Club", which is in Oxford, exist within third level institutions. I would be baffled if such clubs didn't exist within the somewhat elite universities, like TCD, UCD, NUIM. They seem to be the universities that attract people from more privileged backgrounds and surely these societies exist. I would maybe be looking at Fianna Fail, Fine Gael Cumann's within these settings maybe? But surely such level of debauchery exists?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 909sandwhatnot

I think TCD have a somewhat "elite" sports club called The Knights of the Campanile, as well as a wannabe fraternity, but aside from that nothing. I suppose the closest you might get is with the small class/high points courses such as Law and Pol science/biz in TCD, Quantitative biz in UCD or other such courses in both universities, provided they have class social events.

And again, those would be the two universities that would attract the crowd youre speaking of, though the film is very fictionalised, so you probably wouldnt find that sort of behaviour anywhere in Ireland.

NUI Maynooth? Elite? In what universe.. TCD is the only "elite" one in terms of humanities, and then UCD in the Sciences, but even then only by Irish standards. We've been slipping endlessly in rankings recently, and academics agree we're going to crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

NUI Maynooth? Elite? In what universe..

Ha made me laugh too. It's a great place but elite? Eh no.

Also a political society in a college doesn't sound very elite to me either. Doesn't win many votes.

Advertisement