Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year off Xbox and now can't connect to wifi help !!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

skerry wrote: »
    Cool, if it's not magically fixed itself this evening then I'll try that.

Pissing around with the router settings last night got me nowhere but frustrated.

Come to think of it, my Witcher game saves had been acting funny for a week or so. New saves were coming up as 2014 for some reason so maybe it was losing Internet connection intermittently for those saves.

Either way it's a pain in the arse.

AHA!

That might be the cause of the problem actually, WPA is pretty reliant on the date and time being accurate, I've had computers not able to connect because of this very reason.

Check the date and time in the settings of your Xbox, normally it's set by Xbox Live, but in your case you'll be able to change it as you're not connected. Change it to the current time, making sure the time zone and date is correct too. Then try and reconnect.

If that doesn't work, check the date and time on the router, as that could also be off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

So I've contacted Xbox support and they suggested I reset the Xbox to factory settings while keeping games and apps. Did that and still it won't connect to my wireless.

Xbox support then suggested sending it back as he reckoned the wireless unit on the Xbone was broke and would need to be replaced. They told me this takes up to a month. Sounded a bit extreme so I decided to hook it up to my parent Wifi to test if it was the Xbox or the Wifi and lo and behold it connect to their Wifi just fine.

So for some reason my Vodafone router has decided it doesn't like my Xbox anymore so I'm going to try ring Vodafone tomorrow and see if they can get to the bottom of it, no holding out much hope though.

CatInABox wrote: »
    AHA!

That might be the cause of the problem actually, WPA is pretty reliant on the date and time being accurate, I've had computers not able to connect because of this very reason.

Check the date and time in the settings of your Xbox, normally it's set by Xbox Live, but in your case you'll be able to change it as you're not connected. Change it to the current time, making sure the time zone and date is correct too. Then try and reconnect.

If that doesn't work, check the date and time on the router, as that could also be off.

I'll check this tomorrow, cheers.

Finally success, I tried the time suggestion above but no joy. Started tooling around with router settings again though and it turns out that the bandwidth the router was set to was the issue.

Was set to 20/40MHZ and I changed it to 40MHZ and that seems to have sorted the issue. No idea why that changed all of a sudden and decided not to connect cos I never changed the settings in the first place but all sorted now so happy out.

Just as well I didn't listen to Xbox support or I'd be shipping my console off and be without it for a month.

Advertisement