Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Australia Season 8 (2016)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mr E wrote: »
    Started yesterday in Australia. Judging by the season preview before the first episode, the standard is ridiculously high this year so it should be great fun.

Yeah, me thinks they are not all "home cooks" The brother sister pairing were a bit too professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭onlyonpaper

Is it on any TV station here yet ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nope, it will be late summer at least before it gets here.

Me and herself have been watching. As usual Gary and George are great. One contestant who i would have thought an underdog as she was a desert person and very young
    won immunity on a fish dish today

So far still the best Masterchef.

Always uplifting to see
    the pro beaten fairly and squarely

After watching todays challenge I'm inclined to agree with them being a little 'pro-am' , or that they had some off camera assistance with the recipe for the dishes. No way they remembered all that on their own with one run through it and a car journey back to the kitchen given the results.

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure she got much coaching. She said at the start that she had a dish in mind.

Maybe there was some off-camera advice on how to cool down the oil for her salmon? Transferring to a cool tray was smart thinking.

Theres one every year, one you just hate and can't like but this year they come as a duo, jimmy and his sister. Can't stand them so hopefully he goes tomorrow :D

Karmen's chocolate ball thing tonight had herself drooling so I bought her a bag of maltesers when I went for groceries earlier :)

Jimmy's sister's accent is weird. :)
    Anyway the right person went home today.

God I love Nigella. I wish she was sticking around for the whole season!

Jimmy's sister's accent is weird. :)
    Anyway the right person went home today.

God I love Nigella. I wish she was sticking around for the whole season!

You think? As much as I hate them as a pair I was actually sorry to see the wheels come off for him , and over all he was a better cook than Miles by a long shot. Not sure what the deal is with Miles but mentions his kids a lot and reeks of desperation so nothing happy with his situation I guess.

For today only for the pricing I think (was it the blue team???) could have been safe. They lost by $250 and given the volumes they could have actually won if they added $1 to each item I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Loving the new series. The cupcakes were a winner if it hadnt been for their pricing. Only thing is that the same people are featured each episode - seems to be one or two people that we have barely seen anything of at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

Usually starts in September on Watch? In my opinion this is the best Masterchef program by far! Absolutely love it :)

Dovies wrote: »
    Loving the new series. The cupcakes were a winner if it hadnt been for their pricing. Only thing is that the same people are featured each episode - seems to be one or two people that we have barely seen anything of at all.

1 or 2? Was thinking today as we watched the intro there were a few I didn't know as I'd missed the 1st 10 episodes and in the next 10 I have seen there are clearly 75% of them that don;t get shown as much if the producers are given a choice. but the judges clearly were not happy that the 3 guys had ended up in elimination. Bet we don't she Jimmy's sister now he's gone, until she gets the boot.

And how the actual f did none of them pick the ham and egg during the cake test :confused: it was left there and they were picking stuff they had no idea what it was, guess Battenburg Cake isn't a thing there?????
    I'm positive if I'd been there and called it ham and egg cake instead of Battenburg I'd have passed.

Yeah the battenburg stood out. I wish they had gone through the rest of the cakes to name them.

I want some of Nigella's pavlova. :)

Whats going on with Charlie, wheels seem to be coming off on him over the last few days. Up for elimination again. Initially I thought him one of the stronger ones certainly top 10.

The difference between the weak and strong is becoming very apparent now. Charlie or Theresa to go today I think and the survivor to go in the next one. Followed by Brett and Miles, but gets much harder to call after that.

Edit: Oh wow that pressure test , won't comment much as most won't have seen it yet. Has to be one of the hardest I've seen.

Yeah that pressure test was nuts. Very difficult.

I'll miss Theresa, weird accent and all. :)

Tomorrow's immunity challenge should be a good one.

Yeah that pressure test was nuts. Very difficult.

I'll miss Theresa, weird accent and all. :)

Tomorrow's immunity challenge should be a good one.

Double badges !!!!!!!

Herself made the tequila chicken Nigella did at the end of last week tonight...... It was all kinds of gag :(

Not her cooking at fault. She followed the recipe and lets face it it wasn't a hard one just not for us, a take away was promptly phoned for , I think it was the fact neither of us really like our booze in food :D

It smelled great cooking but tasted like an alcoholic lime.

You eat with your eyes.... then phone with your fingers, eh? :)

Cracking show today !!!!

The Pro Chefs were a right barrel of laughs weren't they, so serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I decided to start watching this over the weekend as the name kept popping up at the top of the forum.

This is actually the first ever food challenge competition show I've watched, because I'm not much of a foodie so never thought I'd be interested, but I enjoy competition shows and the Aussie's make great Reality TV, so seemed worth a shot.

Absolutely love it. Finally caught up tonight and up to date with it. Think Con is the biggest loss so far - you miss his smiley little face now that he's gone.

I'm rooting for Matt to win the whole thing. He's definitely head and shoulders above the rest of them at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe there was some off-camera advice on how to cool down the oil for her salmon? Transferring to a cool tray was smart thinking.
    I thought that was fairly obvious thing to do. Or simply add more room temp oil
    And how the actual f did none of them pick the ham and egg during the cake test :confused: it was left there and they were picking stuff they had no idea what it was, guess Battenburg Cake isn't a thing there?????
    I'm positive if I'd been there and called it ham and egg cake instead of Battenburg I'd have passed.

I imagine they were looking for Battenburg cake. Not something that feature much in oz.

Ham and Egg?? I'd say you were straight into elimination for that guess. Never heard of it and even google doesn't return much.

The standard is high this year. How are yous watching? I don't want to comment too much in case I'm ahead. Have you seen the Jaffles?

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I thought that was fairly obvious thing to do. Or simply add more room temp oil

I imagine they were looking for Battenburg cake. Not something that feature much in oz.

Ham and Egg?? I'd say you were straight into elimination for that guess. Never heard of it and even google doesn't return much.

The standard is high this year. How are yous watching? I don't want to comment too much in case I'm ahead. Have you seen the Jaffles?

Really want to get that apple pie butterscotch recipe, sounds sand looks amazing

jester77 wrote: »
    Really want to get that apple pie butterscotch recipe, sounds sand looks amazing

Here you go ;)

The full recipe is there, and the butterscotch specifically is;
    Butterscotch Schnapps Sauce:
    200g brown sugar
    ¼ cup crème fraiche
    ¼ cup thickened cream
    125g unsalted cultured butter
    1 tsp salt
    3 tbsp butterscotch schnapps

Melt the sugar and butter into the creme fraiche and cream.
    Add salt and schnapps, reduce heat and simmer for 5mins

Love Matt - would love to see him go all the way - theres the kiss of death!

It's crazy high this year. Not that it's been low in previous years, and even more impressive given the age of some of the contestants, I think Matt for example is only 24.

When they mentioned Jaffles at the end the other night I had no idea what they were. I now have new respect for the Aussies and for what they put in their toasties Jaffles.

Like someone else posted above I'm also not a foodie or even interested in reality/competitive TV but this this is and always has been quality and compulsive TV and a highlight during the summer ..... MasterTV mabye :o

Group challenge today though, those can be hit for miss.

I watch all the cookery shows - dont think there is a format I havent seen! This one is by far the best followed by My Kitchen Rules IMO

When they mentioned Jaffles at the end the other night I had no idea what they were. I now have new respect for the Aussies and for what they put in their toasties Jaffles.

To be fair, those sort of Jaffles only exist on Masterchef. Or because of Masterchef. As I'm sure I'll find them on a trendy cafe menu soon

To be fair, those sort of Jaffles only exist on Masterchef. Or because of Masterchef. As I'm sure I'll find them on a trendy cafe menu soon

Ha ha ha you know it , the hipsters will love them!!!!!

Well, they sort of already exist in the form of crepes and waffles, it's basically just using bread instead.

Ha ha ha you know it , the hipsters will love them!!!!!

To be fair I see this all the time at events
    http://2hungryguys.com.au/2014/10/07/jafe-jaffles-mobile-food-truck/

• Advertisement

Another cracker today, not usually a fan of the group challenge but this stuff was great. Really surprised the red lamb was ok as it came across they neglected it in the panic.

Advertisement