Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney...a slight reappraisal...

• 02-05-2016 9:25pm

Was a hardened cynic for years. Dismissed him as an oaf, a clown, a figure of fun, a man who was good for a round of pints and a song, a bungling buffoon who did nothing for the club game here while touting non issues like his love for some woman in a way that made me cringe, Stan, not getting rid of Trap etc.

BUT

Was at a function recently after a match between ex Internationals and League of Ireland players and a local club. And have to say can see why he gets elected and commands popularity and votes. He, and the players, really wowed the room, the speeches were perfect, they smiled for every photo and mingled, and they were so giving of their time in meeting kids, local charities and the like. They made it a very special weekend.

None of it means I forget the messes, the dwindling crowds at internationals, the huge salary, the pathetic amount of prize money available for clubs here etc. etc. Just that it made me understand why he retains his role. He reminded me of Bertie Ahern at his height, he has a common touch that people like, he is careful to cultivate appeal at a grassroots level below League of Ireland level. And have to give him some credit for that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think you were right the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Giving a man "credit" for being a good schmoozer, being able to "work a room" is what has this country in the state it's in.

The man is obnoxious, and I've also been in his company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A sure forget about the corruption. He's a sound lad!

Really, if you are swayed by a few words, a few smiles and a few free drinks.........your opinion wasn't worth a whole lot to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I think unfortunately your post highlights what is wrong with the FAI. Appeases the right people, does **** all for the sport.

Giving a man "credit" for being a good schmoozer, being able to "work a room" is what has this country in the state it's in.

Oh true. I'm not converted by any means at all. But always wondered how he kept getting elected. And now can at least understand that much. He is very good at one thing, the kissing babies heads and shaking hands thing, the common touch. None of it means he is remotely good for the game here or erases the colossal screw ups that lie at his feet. I will never forget how he was on the tear in Poland while Monaghan United went to the wall and people lost their jobs. It was a complete abdication of responsibility.

Just didn't realise how good he was at working the room...

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    A sure forget about the corruption. He's a sound lad!

Really, if you are swayed by a few words, a few smiles and a few free drinks.........your opinion wasn't worth a whole lot to begin with.

No need to get personal. I was saying how good he is at getting votes. I wasn't saying that was particularly meritorious or that it meant the problems went away.

But evidently that subtlety sailed over your head in your need to get personal. Relax. Read the post for what it was.

I didn't get personal. You'd know if I got personal.

You said you changed your opinion based on one event with the man. It's even in your thread title.

I said an opinion that can be swayed like that isn't worth a lot to begin with. You feel sore about that and likely everyone else's reaction in the thread but thats not my problem, its yours.

You said you changed your opinion based on one event with the man. It's even in your thread title.

I said an opinion that can be swayed like that isn't worth a lot to begin with. You feel sore about that and likely everyone else's reaction in the thread but thats not my problem, its yours.

Might I ask, when was the last time you posted about a club or local team here?

You may well have a thousand posts about the likes of Finn Harps or the Munster Senior League. So not trying to be smart.

But obviously, when my point was about his dissociation with League of Ireland - as a Cork City fan myself - and his connection with local clubs - as someone who was at a function for one - you'll appreciate that I need to know if any critics are just your bog standard "oooooooh I hate Delaney and the FAI even though I actually only watch Liverpool or ManU myself" types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

What part of telling a person that their opinion is worthless isn't being personal?

Fakman87 wrote: »
    What part of telling a person that their opinion is worthless isn't being personal?

It may well be worthwhile.

For all we know, he is a concerned fan of the state of the game in Ireland, from county level - like the Kerry District League in my case - right up to League of Ireland - Cork City FC in my case. I wouldn't knock him for knocking me. But for obvious reasons I'll laugh at anyone with no opinion on the game here at either grassroots or pro level but pontificates about the head of the organisation in charge of them.

• Advertisement

It may well be worthwhile.

For all we know, he is a concerned fan of the state of the game in Ireland, from county level - like the Kerry District League in my case - right up to League of Ireland - Cork City FC in my case. I wouldn't knock him for knocking me. But for obvious reasons I'll laugh at anyone with no opinion on the game here at either grassroots or pro level but pontificates about the head of the organisation in charge of them.

County level? The problem with football in this country begins at grassroot level and has nothing to do with clubs and who supports who.

Ive coached grassroots for years so know problems first hand......but again this isnt relevant to the point you made about how your oponion of delaney has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This is the same guy who came who came up to me in Dublin Zoo after he heard me say " look john Delaney" to my buddy, not to bother him as he was with his family. We laughed so hard into his face he went red. The clown thinks he's a celebrity.

His salary is obscene, the state of the game at grassroots and local level is a disgrace, the prize money for LOI winners is a farce at one quarter of his salary.

and then you have the his recent bawl on the radio about his wife been abused online.

John Delaney deserves absolutely every bit of criticism he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

As someone very familiar with Mr Delaney, I can assure you, you were right the first time.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Oh true. I'm not converted by any means at all. But always wondered how he kept getting elected. And now can at least understand that much. He is very good at one thing, the kissing babies heads and shaking hands thing, the common touch. None of it means he is remotely good for the game here or erases the colossal screw ups that lie at his feet. I will never forget how he was on the tear in Poland while Monaghan United went to the wall and people lost their jobs. It was a complete abdication of responsibility.

Just didn't realise how good he was at working the room...

So because he's "good at working the room", you reappraise your opinion of him? Ffs. :rolleyes:

He's an embarrassment to Irish football. And one of things people tend to forget about him is that he used the FAI's money to threaten to sue media outlets when they found out he was singing a Republican song, and he wouldn't even man up to what he'd done.

He's like a Mickey Mouse FF councillor who somehow ends up as Taoiseach, and is milking it for all its worth.

Oh and don't forget about him dealing with ticket touts in Estonia.

Like father, like son....

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So because he's "good at working the room", you reappraise your opinion of him? Ffs. :rolleyes:

I'll explain it again.

It'll be the second time, but hey, I'm in generous mood.

I regard him as an oaf and wondered how he got elected. I still think he is an oaf, but I can see how he cultivates support.

That's all. Not very complex, not some Damascene conversion, no need for the passive aggression.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

He's a ludicrous head of a football body but there's no denying his charisma or magnetism, he's truly infectious to be around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

He's a ludicrous head of a football body but there's no denying his charisma or magnetism, he's truly infectious to be around.

What did you catch off of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He's only infectious to be around if you have already bought into what he peddles as the head of a football organisation, if someone is like this then I would question how easily they can be spun or their resistance to such magnetism. I've heard him give 'talks' on a number of occasions and what comes across a lot when he is talking is how much he tries to get across that you should like him for being a bit 'laddish' or not your usual CEO type. He's a good speaker, as you would expect from someone in his position, but he's firmly taken his persona and ran with it and been hoping he's got away with it, which for some he seems to have. Boring and efficient are two very, very underrated things in modern sport, and society itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Zebra3 wrote: »

He's an embarrassment to Irish football. And one of things people tend to forget about him is that he used the FAI's money to threaten to sue media outlets when they found out he was singing a Republican song, and he wouldn't even man up to what he'd done.

He's like a Mickey Mouse FF councillor who somehow ends up as Taoiseach, and is milking it for all its worth.

Oh and don't forget about him dealing with ticket touts in Estonia.

Like father, like son....

They "found out he was singing a Republican song" like it's a crime or something.:eek:

I think his salary is exorbitant in relation to the size of the organisation that he is head of, and more particularly in relation to other paid employees in the FAI. If you're going to criticise him, there are valid reasons for criticism without being shrill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

He's just a smaller version of Blatter.... surrounds himself with cronies who keep him in the position and he looks after them . I remember the interview he gave on radio around the time FBI moved on Blatter..it was very funny... all of his criticism of Blatter was actually a criticism of himself. The boys on Newstalk replayed the interview and musing whether he was speaking of himself or Blatter. Unfortunately turkeys rarely ever vote for Christmas and his cronies will keep him there on his obscene salary ...working the room to attract more cronies.... oul Joe taught him well.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    They "found out he was singing a Republican song" like it's a crime or something.:eek:

I think his salary is exorbitant in relation to the size of the organisation that he is head of, and more particularly in relation to other paid employees in the FAI. If you're going to criticise him, there are valid reasons for criticism without being shrill.

I wasn't saying it was a crime to sing a Republican song, just pointing out that when the media first went to run the story, Delaney denied it was himself involved and had the FAI's legal team all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He gets votes by fear.Anyone who was around when daddy was ****ed out soon got shafted when Johnny boy got the gig.
    He is a cancer on Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I don't need to read the thread further, as this was the post I was going to make.

Changing opinions on people like that because of how they work a crowd, is exactly why we consistently get absolutely dreadful politicians, governments and worthless administrators on six figure salaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yabadabado wrote: »
    He gets votes by fear.Anyone who was around when daddy was ****ed out soon got shafted when Johnny boy got the gig.
    He is a cancer on Irish football.

I'm led to believe he gets votes by ensuring certain power players get their pockets lined from lucrative sponsorship deals, exhibition matches and other revenue streams.

None of it illegal or dodgy, by unethical, and very much laughed my hole when I was hearing him on Newstalk a few times commenting on the FIFA scandal.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm led to believe he gets votes by ensuring certain power players get their pockets lined from lucrative sponsorship deals, exhibition matches and other revenue streams.

None of it illegal or dodgy, by unethical, and very much laughed my hole when I was hearing him on Newstalk a few times commenting on the FIFA scandal.

That's a lot of it,add to the fact if you cross him you are out and you can see why so many toe the line.
    He's just a mini Sepp imo.

TheDoc wrote: »

"on Newstalk".

Selected media outlets only for Mr Delaney.

Almost like he's hiding.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I'll explain it again.

It'll be the second time, but hey, I'm in generous mood.

I regard him as an oaf and wondered how he got elected. I still think he is an oaf, but I can see how he cultivates support.

That's all. Not very complex, not some Damascene conversion, no need for the passive aggression.

While the poster probably should've read your first response, your title of the thread certainly makes it easy for people to misread your opinion.

Discovering the reason why he gets elected isn't any sort of a 'reappraisal' on his opinion at all. You still think he's an oaf, (and rightfully so, he's an absolute gob****e) which you thought before.

I guess my point is there's no need to get all mighty because someone was confused as to what the point of your story was, because the title of your thread kinda brings about that confusion the way it's phrased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

How many Belgium tickets did he give you to say this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

While the poster probably should've read your first response, your title of the thread certainly makes it easy for people to misread your opinion.

Discovering the reason why he gets elected isn't any sort of a 'reappraisal' on his opinion at all. You still think he's an oaf, (and rightfully so, he's an absolute gob****e) which you thought before.

I guess my point is there's no need to get all mighty because someone was confused as to what the point of your story was, because the title of your thread kinda brings about that confusion the way it's phrased.

How do the words 'Slight reappraisal' lead people to believe that he has a positive viewpoint on Delaney?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Yes because it's the most obvious charmer tactics you'll ever fall for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

eagle eye wrote: »
    How do the words 'Slight reappraisal' lead people to believe that he has a positive viewpoint on Delaney?

As I said, the poster probably should've read his response, but the title causes the confusion. It's not even a reappraisal of his views on Delaney at all, just recognising the reasons why some idiots vote for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

https://www.balls.ie/football/didnt-know-whether-going-arrested-fan-tells-heavy-handed-fai-treatment-serbia/345445

Surely people need to stand up against Delaney?Disgraceful carry on here. More interested in stopping people protesting instead of the welfare of Irish football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Was a hardened cynic for years. Dismissed him as an oaf, a clown, a figure of fun, a man who was good for a round of pints and a song, a bungling buffoon who did nothing for the club game here while touting non issues like his love for some woman in a way that made me cringe, Stan, not getting rid of Trap etc.

BUT

Was at a function recently after a match between ex Internationals and League of Ireland players and a local club. And have to say can see why he gets elected and commands popularity and votes. He, and the players, really wowed the room, the speeches were perfect, they smiled for every photo and mingled, and they were so giving of their time in meeting kids, local charities and the like. They made it a very special weekend.

None of it means I forget the messes, the dwindling crowds at internationals, the huge salary, the pathetic amount of prize money available for clubs here etc. etc. Just that it made me understand why he retains his role. He reminded me of Bertie Ahern at his height, he has a common touch that people like, he is careful to cultivate appeal at a grassroots level below League of Ireland level. And have to give him some credit for that.

Welcome to the forum, John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Gael85 wrote: »
    https://www.balls.ie/football/didnt-know-whether-going-arrested-fan-tells-heavy-handed-fai-treatment-serbia/345445

Surely people need to stand up against Delaney?Disgraceful carry on here. More interested in stopping people protesting instead of the welfare of Irish football

That is scary, Stalinesque.

A complete embarrassment of an organisation and the man in charge is one of the reasons.
    FAI needs an overhaul from top to bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Been going on for years with regard to flags and banners at LOI games, unsurprising that now the best supporters in the worrild are being targetted that this now hits the mainstream.

It's properly satisfying that the man is being exposed for what he really is though.

That behaviour though, leaving a fella beside a Serbian riot cop, is proper scum behaviour.

John Delaney is a Lovely Bloke
    He loves the fans, he treats them well,
    John we think you're really swell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I wish whoever tipped him off about staying the hell away from Rio had kept their mouth shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd imagine the upper echelons of the FAI are filled with yes men and people who wont rock the boat or go against Delaney, so even if he did get replaced you'd be in for pretty much the same regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd imagine the upper echelons of the FAI are filled with yes men and people who wont rock the boat or go against Delaney, so even if he did get replaced you'd be in for pretty much the same regime.

How does one get appointed to that position? Is there any form of election? I mean I get that you can't go and have a national election in the way that the Taoiseach gets elected but there has to be some means by which a position like that is answerable to the people. Maybe a vote per each junior/senior club in Ireland or something like that?

Situations like the one we're currently in are the sort where people get comfortable in their roles (even ones that aren't corrupt as f*ck) and things tend to stagnate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

CSF wrote: »
    How does one get appointed to that position? Is there any form of election? I mean I get that you can't go and have a national election in the way that the Taoiseach gets elected but there has to be some means by which a position like that is answerable to the people. Maybe a vote per each junior/senior club in Ireland or something like that?

Situations like the one we're currently in are the sort where people get comfortable in their roles (even ones that aren't corrupt as f*ck) and things tend to stagnate.

You need to be a league delegate
    .. best of luck ... politics.. cronyism
    .ARSE Licking is a must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I mean I get that you can't go and have a national election in the way that the Taoiseach gets elected

The Taoiseach is elected by members of the Dáil, not by a national vote.

It's probably very similar to how Delaney gets elected, the only difference being he doesn't have to be first elected by his local club!

It's ran similar to FIFA look after clubs and they will back you.Keep lads around you who have your back and throw anyone who dissects out.Also need to have a good legal team that will lob out the legal letters at any whiff of trouble.
    Anyone see the recent AGM ?JD was described in near biblical terms and one delegate in particular was gushing in his praise.That area recently got a new pitch and was lucky enough to have JD present to open it.

Huge problem in football here is lads must nearly get jobs for life even though it was recommended to have fix terms at a recent review. Should be 2 terms max with maybe a 5 year term.

Advertisement