Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing for Beginners

• 02-05-2016 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all,

Wondering if any of you have advise, i have fished a lot years before but not in recent years and have been mainly a pike and coarse fisherman. I have caught trout before dapping and even one to nearly 14lbs trolling for pike. I tried out fly fishing before and would love to get into it now in a bigger way but have very little experience. Basically I am looking for a few tips for somebody starting out and what flys at what time of year etc. etc. We have a local Fishing Club that has a lake stocked with rainbow trout and a few lakes from small to big in size with wild brown, there are also a few rivers too. so what kit and flys are best suited to a beginner?

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

Hi!

Its hard to beat Shakespeare stuff for beginners and experienced anglers. Their agility series of rods are cheap about 50euro for a 9'6. They are hands down the best rod I've fished with. I've tried a hardy and I own a sage but its my cheap Shakespeare Odyssey (predecessor to the agility series) I always go back to.
    Reels don't mater so much. A tackle shop selling the rods should be able to pair you with something. Dont spend big on the reel.
    Line is very important imo. I use Mike Barrio lines or Pitsford Pirate lines. They are excellent and very reasonably priced. Talk to some people in your club about what weights and types they use.

Flys are similar to above your best bet is to talk to locals. A local shop would probably sell you a good selection that will work in your area. Then you can either learn to make your own or buy them online after that!

I bought a book called matching the hatch when I started and found that useful to get my head around what flies to use. Its a little pocket book so you can keep it with you when your fishing.

Casting is probably the most frustrating thing for a beginner. Get lessons if you can, 1 or 2 hour long lessons and you will find it a lot easier to develop on your own!

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

pedro7 wrote: »
    Hi!

Its hard to beat Shakespeare stuff for beginners and experienced anglers. Their agility series of rods are cheap about 50euro for a 9'6. They are hands down the best rod I've fished with. I've tried a hardy and I own a sage but its my cheap Shakespeare Odyssey (predecessor to the agility series) I always go back to.
    Reels don't mater so much. A tackle shop selling the rods should be able to pair you with something. Dont spend big on the reel.
    Line is very important imo. I use Mike Barrio lines or Pitsford Pirate lines. They are excellent and very reasonably priced. Talk to some people in your club about what weights and types they use.

Flys are similar to above your best bet is to talk to locals. A local shop would probably sell you a good selection that will work in your area. Then you can either learn to make your own or buy them online after that!

I bought a book called matching the hatch when I started and found that useful to get my head around what flies to use. Its a little pocket book so you can keep it with you when your fishing.

Casting is probably the most frustrating thing for a beginner. Get lessons if you can, 1 or 2 hour long lessons and you will find it a lot easier to develop on your own!

Good luck!

Have to agree shakespeare agility top class have a hardy demon no difference but big difference in the price. I cant seem to leave the agility out of my hand I use leda reels the whole time cheap and trouble free spend the money on a good line Cortland or snobee xs and you are set and ready to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hunter101

Thanks guys, I learned to cast when I tried a few years ago. I'll have a look at the agility series now. Now that you mention matching the hatch i heard of that book before so I'm going to look for that too

Hi all, was browsing the interweb and seen this, would this match up to the agility, seemed a nice beginner kit to me but still would prefer a knowledgeable opinion?

Cheers all

http://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_22&products_id=1026

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Hi

I Wouldn't go for that personally, I'd go for something like this : https://www.fishingmegastore.com/shakespeare-agility-fly~14069.html Theres also A combo deal, A Very decent Rod I've never used one of these rods but some swear over it! Id Get a 9ft 6 weight or a 9'6ft 6 weight! You also get flies Sorted, I've ordered from GAC very good service, Also if you can't buy online go to a good tackle shop Where abouts are you based? Also I'd suggest to get a Fly casting demonstration around 50e for an hour or two I know its a wee bit expensive but trust me it pays off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

On a related note, I've been fishing (mainly in the sea) for many years, but always wanted to learn how to cast a fly. What's the best way to learn to do it right? Are there classes/tutors or are there online resources that are useful? I know the theory but the practice is always messed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Hunter101 wrote: »
    Hi all, was browsing the interweb and seen this, would this match up to the agility, seemed a nice beginner kit to me but still would prefer a knowledgeable opinion?

Cheers all

http://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_22&products_id=1026

Had a airflow rod before I thought it was on the heavy side they make a good line and most fly reels are trouble free your best bet is to walk into a shop and try the rods you will know the one for you but if you lift a agility I bet you will not but it down.

Its just so confusing, so many different variations out there, a bit overwhelming really. I done a fly casting course about 5 years ago, and have some experience so casting shouldn't be a problem and I stress the shouldn't haha

Its just so confusing, so many different variations out there, a bit overwhelming really. I done a fly casting course about 5 years ago, and have some experience so casting shouldn't be a problem and I stress the shouldn't haha

No Problem :) Wait till you really get into fly fishing! as Blackpearl said go into a (Good shop Like Clonanav) try out some rods, They'll sort you out!

Tell us how you get on.

No Problem :) Wait till you really get into fly fishing! as Blackpearl said go into a (Good shop Like Clonanav) try out some rods, They'll sort you out!

Tell us how you get on.

Any recommendations for a shop around the Sligo area?

• Advertisement

Actually i went to Barton smiths they had a very good range of stuff there, I got a good few flies of them for some salmon, They were very good Here is a link of a few in sligo http://www.fishinginireland.info/tackleshops/sligo.htm
    I'd defiantly go and have a look and see what they have!

Tell us how you get on..

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Villan11

Not sure if it's any help but when I started fly fishing I went to a place called Courtlough, its near Balbriggan, North County Dublin. There's a stocked lake there, and you can get a lesson along with gear rental and a days fishing for a reasonable cost. Might be worth trying before you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

bpmurray wrote: »
    On a related note, I've been fishing (mainly in the sea) for many years, but always wanted to learn how to cast a fly. What's the best way to learn to do it right? Are there classes/tutors or are there online resources that are useful? I know the theory but the practice is always messed up.
    I am taking lessons in fly-casting. I have done coarse and sea fishing for years and decided I wanted to try the fly, but I am naturally very clumsy and just couldn't get the casting right. Four lessons have made a big difference and I intend to take one more. Send me a DM if you would like to know where I go for instruction.

Went to a local river last night and when I got there and threaded my old rod it was broke so am going buying a Shakespeare Agility, but there's 3 different types 1) Shakespeare Agility 2) Agility Rise 3) Agility nymph??? Which one would ye recommend

The first option, Agility . The nymph one is for nymphing especially french nymphing, so just leave that option out, What length are you going for? and rod weight?

GL

I've been given a Cortland 9'6" #6. Are they any good?

The first option, Agility . The nymph one is for nymphing especially french nymphing, so just leave that option out, What length are you going for? and rod weight?

GL

I'm not sure, I was looking in Clonanav's website last night and they emailed me back after I put in an enquiry so I asked him to recommend a weight, was advised earlier on this thread that a 9' 6" would be best option

I'm not sure, I was looking in Clonanav's website last night and they emailed me back after I put in an enquiry so I asked him to recommend a weight, was advised earlier on this thread that a 9' 6" would be best option
    Depends what waters you are fishing. If you are fishing a reservoir or lake, for casting you need the length of a 9'6". A shorter and perhaps lighter rod will do on a river.

Michael G wrote: »
    Depends what waters you are fishing. If you are fishing a reservoir or lake, for casting you need the length of a 9'6". A shorter and perhaps lighter rod will do on a river.

Yea it depends on your fishing, but a 9'6 is a good all rounder, IMHO I wouldn't use it on a small river, but if you were fishing the liffy or suir for example it would suit, I've caught a salmon on a 9'6 before.. For lakes it would definitely be a good choice..

I mentioned in my email to him that it would be for lakes and rivers, so an all rounder is what I'd be looking for

• Advertisement

Hi all, just purchased the Shakespeare Agility 9'6'' #6. Any recommendations for a reel and lines, gear needed etc, have some flys and a friend form Scotland gave me some he tied himself she he was over for the mayfly?? TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭MWforumfisher

Good luck

Shakespeare agility 9' 6" #6 landed today, lovely rod to cast (even if it was in the feild out back) 😋

Told ya :D Great rod, Good luck fishing:cool:

Advertisement